The 1972 Subway Map

The 1972 Subway Map is wonderful and still my favorite. I just notice there are a couple of oddities with this map.

The 70(1)70(2) and 70(3) are placed so that they appear to cross under the 70(A)70(AA)70(CC)70(E) and that 50th Street appears to be west of Eighth Avenue.

The 70(7) appears to be orange but its' line appears to be gray.

The first version has 70(J) the second version has (QJ).

Just some observations.

The 1972 Subway Map is wonderful and still my favorite. I just notice there are a couple of oddities with this map.

The 70(1)70(2) and 70(3) are placed so that they appear to cross under the 70(A)70(AA)70(CC)70(E) and that 50th Street appears to be west of Eighth Avenue.

The Massimo Vignelli designed maps were pleasing to the eye, but in no way could you use them to scale. I mean, not only is Central Park square on the map, but it is as wide as it is long. Nonetheless, it's a classic.

The 70(7) appears to be orange but its' line appears to be gray.
The line appears pink, (slightly yellowed into salmon, though), and that's probably what the bullet color was supposed to be. It seems in the transition to the 1979 colors, pink became purple/magenta (magenta being a separate distinct color on the old maps).

The Massimo Vignelli designed maps were pleasing to the eye, but in no way could you use them to scale. I mean, not only is Central Park square on the map, but it is as wide as it is long.

Accurate geography doesn't matter as much when one is underground.

The Massimo Vignelli designed maps were pleasing to the eye, but in no way could you use them to scale. I mean, not only is Central Park square on the map, but it is as wide as it is long. Nonetheless, it's a classic.

You can't use today's map to scale either. :cool:

You can't use today's map to scale either. :cool:

The Vignelli designed '72 NYC subways maps are eye candy, beautiful to look at but far from being geographically correct.:cool::confused:

Dumb question guys? Could future NYC subway maps be as attarctive to look at like the Vignelli and still be geographically correct/on scale?

This style of map is beautiful yet confusing back then for riders.In the days of double and single lettered routes this map is truly historical and more historical in the next few decades as well.Thank the lord that the old days of alphabet soup is truly behind us.I pray for SEPTA not to institute double and single letter designations for their own lines :(

Archived