I'm going to give Philly a "second chance" and I need your opinions

Ghostface Brown

Hey guys, I decided that I wanted to do some fanning in Philly again within the next two weeks since I have enough money to spare, and I really need your opinions on what I've planned to do so I won't have a crappy experience like last time!

Here's my plan for now:

Take the Atlantic City ACES train (first class baby!) to Atlantic City at Penn Station

Take the Philadelphia-30th Street train to Philadelphia-30th Street at Atlantic City

Take the 31 to North 63rd Street and West Girard Avenue at North 33rd Street and Market Street

Take the 15 to Richmond Street & East Westmoreland Street at West Girard Avenue & North 63rd Street

Take the 73 to Frankford Transportation Center at Richmond Street & East Westmoreland Street

Take the Market-Frankford train to 30th and Market Streets at Frankford Transportation Center

Take the Bolt Bus to Penn Station at Philadelphia 30th between Market & Chestnut

Take the PATH train to Journal Square at 33rd Street

Take the Newark train to Newark at Journal Square

Take the 1 to Journal Square at Newark Penn Station

Take the PATH train to Hoboken at Journal Square

Take the Tonelle Avenue light rail to Port Imperial at Hoboken

Take the NY Waterway to Midtown at Weehawken

Take the M42 to Times Square at West 42nd Street & 12th Avenue

Total: Around $110

Hey guys, I decided that I wanted to do some fanning in Philly again within the next two weeks since I have enough money to spare, and I really need your opinions on what I've planned to do so I won't have a crappy experience like last time!

Here's my plan for now:

Take the Atlantic City ACES train (first class baby!) to Atlantic City at Penn Station

Take the Philadelphia-30th Street train to Philadelphia-30th Street at Atlantic City

Take the 31 to North 63rd Street and West Girard Avenue at North 33rd Street and Market Street

Take the 15 to Richmond Street & East Westmoreland Street at West Girard Avenue & North 63rd Street

Take the 73 to Frankford Transportation Center at Richmond Street & East Westmoreland Street

Take the Market-Frankford train to 30th and Market Streets at Frankford Transportation Center

Take the Bolt Bus to Penn Station at Philadelphia 30th between Market & Chestnut

Take the PATH train to Journal Square at 33rd Street

Take the Newark train to Newark at Journal Square

Take the 1 to Journal Square at Newark Penn Station

Take the PATH train to Hoboken at Journal Square

Take the Tonelle Avenue light rail to Port Imperial at Hoboken

Take the NY Waterway to Midtown at Weehawken

Take the M42 to Times Square at West 42nd Street & 12th Avenue

Total: Around $110

No offense lol but for that price of $110 if you had a drivers license i would rent a car for that trip.:(

Back to topic. I would also suggest to add taking the (NJT) "River line" between Trenton and Camden as well for . Best part scenary wise is the great views of the Del. River between stations in Bordertown and Burlington.

Thanks a lot for the input guys, I'm typing up a new plan with your suggestions to ride the PATCO and 66 trackless trolleys right now. I'm going to remove the NY Waterway ferry, Bolt Bus, and New Jersey Transit Route 1 bus rides to make room for the two suggestions.

EDIT: It looks like the PATCO website is down right now, hopefully it comes back up soon so I can re-type my plan.

Alright, I typed up a new plan, what do you think?

Take the Atlantic City train to Atlantic City at Penn Station New York

Take the 31 to North 63rd Street and West Girard Avenue at Market Street and North 30th Street

Take the 66 to Frankford Avenue & City Line (Morrell Park) at Frankford Transportation Center

Take the 66 to Frankford Transportation Center at Frankford Avenue & City Line (Morrell Park)

Take the 69th Street Terminal Market-Frankford Line train to 69th Street Terminal at Frankford Transportation Center

Take the Frankford Transportation Center Market-Frankford Line train to 8th and Market Streets at 69th Street Terminal

Take the PATCO Lindenwold train to Broadway (Camden) at 8th-Market (Philadelphia)

Take the River LINE Trenton Transit Center train to Trenton Transit Center at Walter Rand Transportation Center

Take the New York train to New York at Trenton Transit Center

Total: Around $90.00

I like how you put PATCO in, but you miss out on riding PATCO for most of New Jersey where the train gets some great speed and you have excellent scenery. Westmont and Collingswood are constructed similar to the LIRR Babylon stations. Here is your plan, but I changed it just a little bit:

Take the Philadelphia-30th Street train to Lindenwold at Atlantic City

Take the 15/16 and Locust train to 8th and Market at Lindenwold

Take the 69 Street blue line to 63 Street at 8th and Market

Take the 31 to North 63rd Street and West Girard Avenue at Market Street and 63th Street

Take the 66 to Frankford Avenue & City Line (Morrell Park) at Frankford Transportation Center

Take the 66 to Frankford Transportation Center at Frankford Avenue & City Line (Morrell Park)

Take the 69th Street Terminal Market-Frankford Line train to 11 Street at Frankford Transportation Center

Take any NJT bus to Walter Rand Bus Terminal from Market Street

Take Riverline to Trenton from Camden

Take :nec: to Penn Station from Trenton

Here's my two cents:

PATCO to 8th & Market Station.

Transfer to Broad Street Subway Ridge Spur (very fast express trains)

BSL RS to Fern Rock, transfer to Route 70 bus

Route 70 to Franford/Cottman, pick up Route 66 to FTC

M/F to Girard Station

Route 15 to Girard & Lancaster, pick up Route 10 back to Center City (13th & Juniper Station

Then continue on with NJ Transit segment

Thanks a lot again for the suggestions guys.

I like how you put PATCO in, but you miss out on riding PATCO for most of New Jersey where the train gets some great speed and you have excellent scenery. Westmont and Collingswood are constructed similar to the LIRR Babylon stations. Here is your plan, but I changed it just a little bit:

Take the Philadelphia-30th Street train to Lindenwold at Atlantic City

Take the 15/16 and Locust train to 8th and Market at Lindenwold

Take the 69 Street blue line to 63 Street at 8th and Market

Take the 31 to North 63rd Street and West Girard Avenue at Market Street and 63th Street

Take the 69th Street Terminal Market-Frankford Line train to 11 Street at Frankford Transportation Center

Take any NJT bus to Walter Rand Bus Terminal from Market Street

Take Riverline to Trenton from Camden

Take :nec: to Penn Station from Trenton

Thanks for the info on the PATCO and your suggestion for riding more of it, but I just have two questions about this: Will I be missing much if I get off of the Philadelphia-30th Street Atlantic City train at Lindenwold instead of Philadelphia-30th Street sightseeing-wise? I also just want to know your opinion on the area around Market Street and North 63rd Street as I heard that West Philadelphia is not such a nice place.

Here's my two cents:

PATCO to 8th & Market Station.

Transfer to Broad Street Subway Ridge Spur (very fast express trains)

BSL RS to Fern Rock, transfer to Route 70 bus

Route 70 to Franford/Cottman, pick up Route 66 to FTC

M/F to Girard Station

Route 15 to Girard & Lancaster, pick up Route 10 back to Center City (13th & Juniper Station

Then continue on with NJ Transit segment

Sorry man I can't do that as it doesn't look like the Broad-Ridge Spur runs on Sundays.

IMO tking PATCO into Centre City aka Downtown Philadelphia is the best on any mass transit system in that area. The views of the Ben Franklin Bridge is great very similar to the views of the Manhattan Bridge in NYC with the (:P(D)(N) and (Q).

Regarding the West Philadelphia question and its 'safety' issue in last few years it did have the highest violent crime in that city. As long you take precautions, visit 'West Philly' during the day you should be ok. However the worst area for crime in the Philly area is Camden NJ.

I am sure the other NYCTF member who live in the Philly area will give a better comments on the neighborhoods down there.

IMO tking PATCO into Centre City aka Downtown Philadelphia is the best on any mass transit system in that area. The views of the Ben Franklin Bridge is great very similar to the views of the Manhattan Bridge in NYC with the (B)(D)(N) and (Q).

Regarding the West Philadelphia question and its 'safety' issue in last few years it did have the highest violent crime in that city. As long you take precautions, visit 'West Philly' during the day you should be ok. However the worst area for crime in the Philly area is Camden NJ.

I am sure the other NYCTF member who live in the Philly area will give a better comments on the neighborhoods down there.

I think that I'll take the PATCO into the city then, it's cheaper than taking the Atlantic City Line all the way to the city anyways. I think that I'll just wait for the bus at Market Street and North 63rd Street like suggested, I am now just curious to know which corner the bus to Girard stops so I won't be in a position to let people in the most dangerous area of Philly know that I'm lost.

Throw in Rt 100

Do some Subway Surface lines and Line 15

Cut out ACES, leave that after the recession

I don't know, I took the 100 last time and I didn't really like it that much, although I now know that it's not called the High Speed line for nothing. I'm doing the 15 already, and the ride I had last time on the 13 wasn't so bad so I might throw in a Subway-Surface ride if I have enough time for it.

Hey guys, I went to Philadelphia yesterday and I liked it way better than the last time. The only part I didn't like was the ACES trip when many members of the crew seemed to be surprised that I was in first class, and I just want to thank you guys again for your suggestions which helped make it a good trip. I'll upload the cell phone pictures later when I sort out the crappiest ones from the less crappy ones.

Only thing I rode was SEPTA #14, #21, #46, #34 Trolley and #127, MFK and BSL, R-7. I rode PATCO also.

I think best thing is take (NEC) to Trenton Transit Center.

Take RiverLine to Walter Rand Transit Center.

Take NJT #403- $2.30 ride to Lindenwold PATCO.

Take advantage of Freedom Card, then take PATCO to 15th-16th Sts (Philly)

Yes I did, I made some changes to it though. I got off the PATCO train at Broadway instead and took the River LINE to the Aquarium for a ride on the really nice RiverLink ferry on a boat named the "Freedom", the captain was nice enough to reroute the trip a little bit so we can take photos of a huge Intrepid-like ship sitting along the Camden waterfront. To make up for that though, I took the PATCO back to Broadway from 8th and Market Streets for the River LINE instead of a New Jersey Transit bus.

Archived