If the subways were still independantly owned

BMT4Life

I believe the BMT and IND would have merged being that they share the same lines. The IRT would be the only separate system. So it would have been two systems. The BMT/IND & the IRT. The city would have made the two companies charge fares on the same rate. The transfers I don't know about. Most likely not free. Cars and equipment would be drastically different. We probably would have two different fare controls for the two systems. Two different tokens or just plain cash.

I believe the BMT and IND would have merged being that they share the same lines. The IRT would be the only separate system. So it would have been two systems. The BMT/IND & the IRT. The city would have made two companies; offer fares on the same rate. The transfers I don't know about. Most likely not free. Cars and equipment would be drastically different. We probably would have two different fare controls for the two systems. Two different tokens or just plain cash.

I agree with you

didn't they do this over at transit stuff a few weeks ago?

Anyway like i said before i don't like the idea because competition is bad, no free transfers, and certain subway lines we have today would not have existed.

it's good having the subway under one big monopoly instead of three different companies.

If we think the fare is high now if they were still independantly owned I think we could have saw fares at the $3-5 range. Again the free transfers would have been nonexistent. Corruption and scandals would have been commonplace.

didn't they do this over at transit stuff a few weeks ago?

If they did then you could have excused yourself from this discussion.

Archived