Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Aqueduct

Station shots, 71-Continental-Forest Hills

6 am on a Saturday morning headed to work, with time to kill waiting for the (F).

Old signage fun

IMG_0257.jpg

More old signage fun, this time in zoom!

IMG_0268.jpg

New signage fun. If this sign is not the longest in the system, it must rank up there.

IMG_0258.jpg

Tiles!

IMG_0264.jpg

Jamaica Bound (E)

IMG_0265.jpg

Manhattan Bound (R)

IMG_0270.jpg

There's my ride!

IMG_0271.jpg

They need to stop playing, and add Continental back to 71/Continental Avs.

Continental Avenue no longer exists! What's the point of having that name if there's no street that's named that?

Guest Charles
Continental Avenue no longer exists! What's the point of having that name if there's no street that's named that?

Continental Avenue does exist, I don't know what you're talking about. For example, the Forest Hills Mini Mall's address is 5 Continental Avenue. Street signs along the intersections of Queens Blvd and Austin Street display both names.

The original Continental Avenue in Forest Hills Gardens still exists. Signs only display Continental Av, 71 Av does not appear at all.

Also, the Continental gives the station history, as it's interesting to see the street's former name before the Queens renumbering. There's no need to remove it. Why did the (MTA) bring back the old names on the Flushing line, such as Bliss St or Lowery St? For this exact reason.

I think with the political correctness running rampant in society, 71st/Forrest Hills will remain as such. The 'Continental' name brings back the history of the development, a perfect planned society where when placed into reality, shut out the middle classes, various religions, minorities & poor..

Jackson Heights: A Garden in the City, by Daniel Karatzas

"the community was advertised as "restricted." Though not explicitly stated in promotional material, it was widely known at the time that only white Anglo-Saxon Protestants were welcome in Jackson Heights, as was the case with such other middle-class suburban developments as Forest Hills Gardens and Garden City."

A good friend is a history buff & gave me the scoop, or else I wouldn't have had any idea myself.. This is the reason the streets run as such, to keep non neighborhood people out..

It's so ironic that a street named 'Continental Ave.' (implying a global outreach) was found in a neighborhood which was the exact opposite of that ideal. It's also ironic that Jackson Heights was originally intended to be white only, when today the neighborhood is 53% Hispanic and 13% Asian.

Continental Avenue does exist, I don't know what you're talking about. For example, the Forest Hills Mini Mall's address is 5 Continental Avenue. Street signs along the intersections of Queens Blvd and Austin Street display both names.

The original Continental Avenue in Forest Hills Gardens still exists. Signs only display Continental Av, 71 Av does not appear at all.

Also, the Continental gives the station history, as it's interesting to see the street's former name before the Queens renumbering. There's no need to remove it. Why did the (MTA) bring back the old names on the Flushing line, such as Bliss St or Lowery St? For this exact reason.

Rawson, Lowery, and Bliss Sts all exist on at least on street sign...

Bliss exists in separate places (in Sunnyside Gardens, and right by the #7 train station)

Nice photos of 71st/Continenetal Ave. at Forest Hills. And yeah, you just invaded my area, finally, :)!

I live on 164th and Jewel Avenue, so I have the Q64 at my doorstep in the morning.

The Northern Blvd station is interesting, I am trying to figure out what that gate in plain view on one of the platforms is for.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?93702

The link above is to a picture of it to those unfamiliar with what I just mentioned. This is the best I can find on it.

EDIT:

New picture from this morning, the (G)

IMG_0284.jpg

Edited by Aqueduct