J to Metropolitan

Amtrak7

Weekends thru Sep 13, shuttle buses replace (J) trains between Broadway Junction and Myrtle Av. There will be no (M) service. The (J) will run from Metropolitan to Chambers.

http://travel.mtanyct.info/newtp/serviceAdvisories/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=J&date=8/22/2009&time=

When I first read this, I thought that buses would also replace (M) trains. But no.

Weekends thru Sep 13, shuttle buses replace (J) trains between Broadway Junction and Myrtle Av. There will be no (M) service. The (J) will run from Metropolitan to Chambers.

http://travel.mtanyct.info/newtp/serviceAdvisories/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=J&date=8/22/2009&time=

When I first read this, I thought that buses would also replace (M) trains. But no.

I hope the (MTA) plans on running rush hour type headways all day on the (L)on both Saturdays/Sundays until at least 8pm during this g/o. The (L) is already busy on most weekends especially between Lorimer St and Union Sq.

Hmm good G/o, ill do this of course. Tho why is this happening? Must be some trackwork east of Myrle?

Free shuttle buses replace (J) trains between Broadway Junction and Myrtle Av

No (M) trains running, take the (J) instead

Weekends, 4:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Aug 22 - Sep 13

Transfer between the shuttle bus and (J) the at Broadway Junction.

Transfer between the shuttle bus and the (A) or (L) at Broadway Junction.

(J) trains replace the (M) between Metropolitan and Myrtle Avs.

I've always wondered why they don't just say that (M) trains will be extended to Chambers St for the weekend instead of calling them (J) trains. Let's hope that the R160s are programmed for a (J) to Metropolitan, because after this weekend with no (E) program to 34th St-6th Av, I'm skeptical.

Let's hope that the R160s are programmed for a (J) to Metropolitan, because after this weekend with no (E) program to 34th St-6th Av, I'm skeptical.

That's what I was going to think! FIND should be fully flexible with all possible termini and switches.

I've always wondered why they don't just say that (M) trains will be extended to Chambers St for the weekend instead of calling them (J) trains. Let's hope that the R160s are programmed for a (J) to Metropolitan, because after this weekend with no (E) program to 34th St-6th Av, I'm skeptical.

Maybe they didnt add the (E) since the (MTA) may not consider it a Terminal anymore? I could be wrong since there is a Crew office north of the station on Bronx/Queens bound side..

Maybe they didnt add the (E) since the (MTA) may not consider it a Terminal anymore? I could be wrong since there is a Crew office north of the station on Bronx/Queens bound side..

That's fine in the long run, but this G.O. is happening for 4 weekends. I think they should have added it once they saw this was coming up, especially since the (E) is 100% R160 right now. This also means that for these G.O. weekends, the (E) is 100% not showing the correct destination sign. At the very least, they should have made the F.I.N.D.s able to block out that last stop and force the last stop to be the final stop that isn't blocked out. Or maybe that would've been too much work. Anyway, like I said, I hope that there is a (J) to Metropolitan, because the (J) shouldn't have the problems that the (E) had for this weekend and quite possibly for the next 3 weekends.

Well in late 2008 there were plans to extend weekend (M) service to Chambers Street but it was shelved when the recession hit. Hopefully the plan can be brought back when the recession's over. Extra service would come in handy.

I heard a conductor saying that they don't have the programming for the (J) to Metropolitan. (They're the ones who usually set the signs, and I had never looked to see all the (9J) had).

So they're probably going to end up signing it as (M).

I heard a conductor saying that they don't have the programming for the (J) to Metropolitan. (They're the ones who usually set the signs, and I had never looked to see all the (9J) had).

Well they always could do it the old-fashioned way.

And therein lies the problem. The posters say that (J) service will be replacing the (M), but what happens when an (M) appears at Chambers St to Myrtle-B'way? Regular riders will probably know what is going on, but others might be confused.

Well they always could do it the old-fashioned way.

Do you mean just turn the thing off and do manual announcements? That could work.

Or They have to borrow R32's from 207th st just to solve the problem because I know there is not enoguh R42's to cover that part.

Or They have to borrow R32's from 207th st just to solve the problem because I know there is not enoguh R42's to cover that part.

Why would they bother bringing 207 from a long journey to the Myrtle Line?

For that they can just keep it R160, keave it programmed to any stops on the Jamaica line and just let it run on the (M). Or assign it as (M) for a weekend..

Why would they bother bringing 207 from a long journey to the Myrtle Line?

For that they can just keep it R160, keave it programmed to any stops on the Jamaica line and just let it run on the (M). Or assign it as (M) for a weekend..

That's the ponit, That would cause the people to be confused and If The Train is programed (J) to Jamaica Center, People would think the Train is going to Jamaica Center and when they swicth the sign That would cause a whole lot of confustion, and plus The last time they did this type a G.O. was back in Febuary of 2008, They had plenty of R42's back then, Now you have only 50 R42's, 207th have some extra R32's that they can send down, Sometimes when you do a G.O. You sometimes have to borrrow Equipment from a different yard for A G.O. , This is nothing New, This case happend last month when the (F) had to borrow 1 R44 and 5 trainsets of R46's that came from pitkin because of track work on the queens bivd track. ENY can run a total of 6 Trainsets of R42's That's a total of 48 R42's plus you need 3 More trainsets 2 more for service and 1 for back up.

And they can just deadhead the Borrowed R32's down CPW then turn on 6th ave line thru the connection (christye st) then deadhead to metroplitan ave for service.

That's the ponit, That would cause the people to be confused and If The Train is programed (J) to Jamaica Center, People would think the Train is going to Jamaica Center and when they swicth the sign That would cause a whole lot of confustion, and plus The last time they did this type a G.O. was back in Febuary of 2008, They had plenty of R42's back then, Now you have only 50 R42's, 207th have some extra R32's that they can send down, Sometimes when you do a G.O. You sometimes have to borrrow Equipment from a different yard for A G.O. , This is nothing New, This case happend last month when the (F) had to borrow 1 R44 and 5 trainsets of R46's that came from pitkin because of track work on the queens bivd track. ENY can run a total of 6 Trainsets of R42's That's a total of 48 R42's plus you need 3 More trainsets 2 more for service and 1 for back up.

And they can just deadhead the Borrowed R32's down CPW then turn on 6th ave line thru the connection (christye st) then deadhead to metroplitan ave for service.

you really need to stop daydreaming about R32s on the (J)(Z). it is not going to happen during this G.O. as it will be a big waste of time, money, and manpower to transfer them all the way from 207th Street to ENY or Fresh Pond only to send them back at the end of the weekend. in fact, the Fresh Pond Yard does not have room to hold those R32s. It has a surplus of R160As (which to me is the reason why only 32 four-car R160A sets are being ordered as extra R160As from Fresh Pond and Canarsie can replace the rest of the R42s at ENY). the reason the (F) was able to borrow Pitkin's R44s and R46s last month was because it terminated at Euclid Avenue, which has direct access to that yard, but the (J)(Z) do not go anywhere near 207th Street. Heck, if the Eastern Division really needed another yard's cars, they would probably get those at Jamaica, which means R40M/42s would make a short return to the Nassau Street Local and a travel back in time for railfans. i highly doubt this will happen, however, because if R160As do not have the programming for the (J) to Metropolitan Avenue, all the signs and displays will be turned off and the conductor makes manual announcments, which is a lot easier than borrowing cars from other yards. i remember this was done this last year when the (M) got rerouted to Broadway because of a stalled train at Broad Street. if the R160A issue is true, however, i do not get why (NYCT) did not simply suspend (J) service between Manhattan and Broadway Junction and extend the (M) to Chambers Street. R160As do have the program for Broadway Junction-bound trains since morning (Z) trains from Manhattan terminate there.

just to reply to the posts below this one:

to trainfan22: that is an extremely long route to travel.

to mark1447: Coney Island does not have any cars that can run on the Eastern Division.

Its not that long of a trip from the 207th St yard to the Eastern Div. Just run light down the CPW/8th ave local track, switch to the (F) line at West 4th, run light and use the Essex St cut to the (J) line and run light to Fresh Pond yard, simple! Or run light down the CPW express track at 59th switch to the 6th ave line there and go down to the Essex St cut to the East Div. And they use to do slimar moves when the R143s were used on the (M) line shuttle on the weekends.

you really need to stop daydreaming about R32s on the (J)(Z). it is not going to happen during this G.O. as it will be a big waste of time, money, and manpower to transfer them all the way from 207th Street to ENY. the reason why the (F) could borrow Pitkin's R44s and R46s last month was because it terminated at Euclid Avenue, which has direct access to the yard, but the (J)(Z) do not go anywhere near the 207th Street Yard. Heck, if ENY really needed another yard's cars, it will probably take them from Jamaica, which means R40M/42s will make a short return to the Nassau Street Local, which is like a travel back in time for railfans. i highly doubt this will happen, however, because if R160As do not have the program for the (J) to Metropolitan Avenue, all the signs will have to be turned off and the conductor make manual announcments, which is a lot easier than borrowing cars from other yards. i remember this was done this last year when the (M) got rerouted to Broadway because of a stalled train at Broad Street. if the R160A issue is the case, however, i do not get why (NYCT) did not simply suspend (J) service between Manhattan and Broadway Junction and extend the (M) to Chambers Street. R160As do have the program for Broadway Junction-bound trains since morning (Z) trains terminate there.

Umm it can also get some cars off CIY since there is a connection to the Jamaica-Nassau Street Lines North of Court St on the 4th Ave/Broadway Line. Tho excluding 75 footers

And im guessing (M) Services is cut since the (M) doesnt run to manhattan on weekends. But I agree with (MT) to Manhattan. (MTA) sometimes does the stupidest G/Os which i dunno why..

If a program exists to Myrtle/Bway, they might be able to use that. Possibly even a program to Eastern Pkwy since it sort of goes there provided you connect to the shuttle bus. Either way I can see this causing confusion btwn Chambers & Metropolitan. I'm surprised there's no program for it considering I've heard that other bizarre reroutes such as D's to Far Rockaway exist.

It would be more of a problem than it would solve. I know a lot of people are still fervent in their belief that R-32s will be transferred to ENY, but it isn't happening.

And therein lies the problem. The posters say that (J) service will be replacing the (M), but what happens when an (M) appears at Chambers St to Myrtle-B'way? Regular riders will probably know what is going on, but others might be confused.

They should have thought it out, and then describe it as extending the (M).

We did wonder if they would put all the 42's on the Metropolitan side. If there are not enough, then they might just use 160's, but at least most trains would be correct.

Bringing in cars from another yard just for this is unlikely. Though wouldn't it be funny if they did bring the 32's over, and just keep them here? In other words, do the switch now, and then they would also have to give the 42's to Jamaica in exchange for whatever 32's are left, or more 46's or whatever. But I doubt they'll do all that either.

Wonder what would happen if they had a J/4 G.O now (where the (J) shuttle fills in for the (4) when work is done between Manhattan and Brooklyn). They always use the 42's, because the G.O. crews might not be 160 qualified. But now there might not be enough 42's for that either, yet there still might not be enough people qualified for 160's.

Hmmm, what would be easier to do:

1) Send down the R32's and 42's to work the 70(J) line during this GO costing the (MTA) tens of thousands of dollars in overtime needed to perform the moves

or

2) Put 70(M) signs on the 160's.

Just say no because crack is wack.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that the 70(J) to Met is indeed programmed since it is a potential reroute.

They should have thought it out, and then describe it as extending the (M).

We did wonder if they would put all the 42's on the Metropolitan side. If there are not enough, then they might just use 160's, but at least most trains would be correct.

Bringing in cars from another yard just for this is unlikely. Though wouldn't it be funny if they did bring the 32's over, and just keep them here? In other words, do the switch now, and then they would also have to give the 42's to Jamaica in exchange for whatever 32's are left, or more 46's or whatever. But I doubt they'll do all that either.

Wonder what would happen if they had a J/4 G.O now (where the (J) shuttle fills in for the (4) when work is done between Manhattan and Brooklyn). They always use the 42's, because the G.O. crews might not be 160 qualified. But now there might not be enough 42's for that either, yet there still might not be enough people qualified for 160's.

\

I Agree, For the (J)/(4) G.O. They have enough, But for this G.O. you need 9Trainsets, 4 going down and 4 going up and 1 for back UP,

They should have just Use the (M) or send the (C) down there, They can Use the r160 C/R Boards

Hmmm, what would be easier to do:

1) Send down the R32's and 42's to work the 70(J) line during this GO costing the (MTA) tens of thousands of dollars in overtime needed to perform the moves

or

2) Put 70(M) signs on the 160's.

Just say no because crack is wack.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that the 70(J) to Met is indeed programmed since it is a potential reroute.

It's Not Programed, And It would not cost thosands of dollars to borrow 24 R32's to full the gap.

Archived