J to Metropolitan

Amtrak7

If the 160s don't have a prgm for the (J) to Metropolitan, it would show how stupid the (MTA) is when it comes to these things (just like the no (E) to 34th/6th prgm). And if they don't, the (MTA) is even more stupid for using (J)s instead of (M)s which do have a prgm. Sometimes technology isn't always the greatest thing, especially when it backfires like this.

Well, I tried it out and the 70(J) to Metropolitan is definitely not in there. They'll probably just run them as 70(M)'s.

It's Not Programed, And It would not cost thosands of dollars to borrow 24 R32's to full the gap.

Well, paying eight train operators overtime to bring four trains in (you'll need a spare) and back to where they came from, would cost over $3,000. I'm sure that's money that could be better spent elsewhere, like fixing station ceilings. BUT, if they want to pay me then who am I to turn it down?

• 2 weeks later...
I've always wondered why they don't just say that (M) trains will be extended to Chambers St for the weekend instead of calling them (J) trains. Let's hope that the R160s are programmed for a (J) to Metropolitan, because after this weekend with no (E) program to 34th St-6th Av, I'm skeptical.

Totally agreed, that would make so much sense. Just have signs on the Manhattan stations and stations West of Myrtle say that the M is replacing the J. That's all, no need to confuse M riders north of Myrtle.

I had been hearing yesterday that it was cancelled. Not sure why, because the next storm is staying down in the tropics and won't affect us up here much. Someone suggested because of the holiday weekend, but it was originally scheduled to go across this weekend anyway (wish they would just take advantage of the third day like they do in some G.O.s). That way; I won't have to work OPTO.

So it is running today, and they have handout notices saying that those on the Metropolitans side have to set the signs for between Myrtle and Chambers only, and then make the announcements from Myrtle to Met.

The stupid thing about it is that while we were saying having as many 42's as possible on that side would allow correct signage; they seem to have all the 42's on the Jamaica side!

It happened today. I went along the (J), but they weren't signed up as (M) trains. They were all (J)s.

While driving along Forest Ave. a few hours ago, I observed a Met bound train signed up "J Jamaica Center".

I doubt if there is a J program to Met and assume that supervision instructed c/r's to display J signs and make manual announcements from B My to Met.

While driving along Forest Ave. a few hours ago, I observed a Met bound train signed up "J Jamaica Center".

I doubt if there is a J program to Met and assume that supervision instructed c/r's to display J signs and make manual announcements from B My to Met.

That's what happened. Some strange happen too: the (J) I was on had every station between Alabama Av and Jamaica Center highlighted in red and said

"will not stop".

I am curious to know: Why can't they just put them as (M) trains?

Don't know. They could just post a G.O. that says:

"No (J) trains between B'way Junction and Chambers St.

Free shuttle buses replace trains between B'way Junction and Myrtle Av-B'way.

(M) trains are extended to Chambers St during this time.

Transfer from the shuttle bus to the (M) train at Myrtle Av-B'way for continued service to Manhattan."

However, my thinking is that since this is the way they did it in the past (the (J)s going to Metro), they wanted to keep it that way.

I am curious to know: Why can't they just put them as (M) trains?

The train crews and are asking the same question. The TSS's want us to do it this way since the Signs in the station say (J) to Met, not (M) to Met. The sign sould just say "No (J) serivce From BWJ to City. (M) exted to City repacing (J) serivce from BWM to City. Shuttle bus inbetween.

The train crews and are asking the same question. The TSS's want us to do it this way since the Signs in the station say (J) to Met, not (M) to Met. The sign sould just say "No (J) serivce From BWJ to City. (M) exted to City repacing (J) serivce from BWM to City. Shuttle bus inbetween.

Maybe the t/a doesnt want the (M) Running to manhattan since its not scheduled too head?

Maybe the t/a doesnt want the (M) Running to manhattan since its not scheduled too head?

No it's just poor plaining on the part of the person who Wright the GO. They can do whatever it takes to have serivce even if it is to extend serivce to replace a train thats can't run it's full line. Just look at what they do with the (G) when the (F) does not go to Stillwell Ave. They don't supend (G) serivce and run 2 section of (F). No the (F) goes to EUC and the (G) is exteded to Stillwell.

I agree, it would've been less confusing to just run the M into Manhattan than to have the J go to Metropolitan. It's not like having the M run into Manhattan on the weekends would be that confusing. Just have signs in the stations saying the M replaces the J in Manhattan and the other stations past Myrtle.

I can maybe see the MTA personel responsible for this GO was thinking about only the Manhattan side over the Brooklyn-Queens side.

On a related note, why not run the V on weekends when there's a GO that makes the E switch down onto 6th Av and terminate at 2nd Av? This is sort of a reverse where they don't have the V replace the E to Parsons-Archer.

Archived