Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
R62A 1991

The R160B's 3rd Birthday

Today is August 17th, 2009. At approximately 9:30 AM, the first R160B, 8713-8722, pulled into the downtown (Q) track at 57th St-7th Av, intending to do its first revenue run on the (N) three years ago. And three years later, they are, like it or not, dominating some of the lines in the B Division. That was a great day, and more recently, most of the R160s I've been on have been fully working, with every F.I.N.D. and every interior scrolling sign working. There are some that still need the bugs worked out, but the R160 has been providing service for us for 3 years today, with some outages in-between.

Edited by R62A 1991

Today is August 17th, 2009. At approximately 9:30 AM, the first R160B, 8713-8722, pulled into the downtown (Q) track at 57th St-7th Av, intending to do its first revenue run three years ago. And three years later, they are, like it or not, dominating some of the lines in the B Division. That was a great day, and more recently, most of the R160s I've been on have been fully working, with every F.I.N.D. and every interior scrolling sign working. There are some that still need the bugs worked out, but the R160 has been providing service for us for 3 years today, with some outages in-between.

It actually ran on the (N) first but ya happy birthday R160B!

Making "birthday" threads for rolling stock eh?

Happy birthday R160s! Curses for retiring our SMEEs though! :mad:

Happy birthday R160s! Curses for retiring our SMEEs though! :mad:

lmao yeah..but dont curse them...if we keep the SMEEs pretty soon the subway cars would have had sunroofs

Wow, I remember that day. I caught the R160 (N) at Queensboro Plaza around 6:15pm. I was in the 1st car and I was just in amazement riding it. Everybody in the car loved it. I loved how it didn't jerk when it started. It was a fun ride going to Coney Island. I took it back uptown and while in operation, the F.I.N.D's stopped working from around the Manhattan Bridge and it never recovered. It was still a great trip. 3 years later, they dominate the (N) and other lines and I still love riding on them. As much as I love the old equipment, they are being replaced with great cars IMHO. I look forward to seeing how these trains will hold up in 40 years time like the others before this one. :cool:

lmao yeah..but dont curse them...if we keep the SMEEs pretty soon the subway cars would have had sunroofs

I would like that.

During a thunderstorm>B)?

At least when it's warm they should have detachable roofs, or make the roof have a moonroof. That would be nice. B)

At least when it's warm they should have detachable roofs, or make the roof have a moonroof. That would be nice. B)

Hmm...now that would be very nice especially in the summer time like this..well, not like this cause its hot as hell but for the mild days

you guys are writing 'happy birthday' to a piece of steal shaped into a rectangle and has wheels underneath it? You guys need to get your act together and get jobs and help the economy out.

you guys are writing 'happy birthday' to a piece of steal shaped into a rectangle and has wheels underneath it? You guys need to get your act together and get jobs and help the economy out.

And you have the time to reply to this thread? Maybe you should help the economy out by shutting off your computer to a forum dedicated to the "piece of steel shaped into a rectangle with wheels" and save some of your electric bill.

________

Great day for the R160s! I remember when I would rush to the platform to catch the train and groan whenever a R68 comes!

And you have the time to reply to this thread? Maybe you should help the economy out by shutting off your computer to a forum dedicated to the "piece of steel shaped into a rectangle with wheels" and save some of your electric bill.

________

Great day for the R160s! I remember when I would rush to the platform to catch the train and groan whenever a R68 comes!

My man, dont get your feelings hurt, yea i got time to reply to this thread. I did my 8 hours for the day, and come over here and shut my computer off for me.

happy biirhday and i am eternally greatful to the 160s for retiring the 32s off the (E) and (F) they will be around for the next 40-50 years and are the start of better mass transit for teh future happy bday 160s

LOL I'm sorry but this is the foamiest thread I've ever seen...

I'm sorry. I just wanted to say something about the R160s being in service for 3 years. I didn't know that simply recognizing that was a problem.

I'm sorry. I just wanted to say something about the R160s being in service for 3 years. I didn't know that simply recognizing that was a problem.

Ali pls don't even stress yourself...if they don't like it then that's them!

LOL no your post was fine...it just went from "wow can't believe it's been 3 years already" to physically wishing the cars happy birthday and further on downhill from there...

Hate to sound rude but I nominate this as one of the worst threads ever created. I mean, why create a thread about the three year anniversary of the R160's? Honestly, who cares? Not me. Besides, I was amongst one of the first railrans to set foot inside of an R160. I even have proof as well.

Some of you need to quit foaming over something that's going to be around till we get some gray hairs on our body. Just appreciate the 60-foot SMEE's before it becomes too late.

Would you say the same thing if it was the 40th birthday of the R40 slants? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's the worst thread created.

Alright, go ahead and lock it. If no one wants to see a thread about the 3rd anniversary of the R160, then it shouldn't be created. Please lock. But, just remember. Not everyone is foaming about it. I just thought that because of the date, it should be recognized. Thanks, and have a good night.
Don't feel this topic needs to close down cause one person said something negative. Now what do I have to say about R160B - I've never rode them before but outside of F.I.N.D im sure they're almost like the R142 I ride to get from point A to point B.