Ceiling Collapse Disrupts 1 Subway Service

mark1447

Most people are probably qualified. The only exceptions would be senior guys on the (1)(3)(7) who stay on those lines and never work anythign else (which are all in the same district. Anyone on East Side has almost nothing but 142's).

And then, when people go on refreshers they probably introduce them to the new stuff on the rest of the system.

That can't be true, as there have been a few times where an R142 sees the (3) for regular service. I don't think there were crew borrowed from 239th either.

those are actually 2's used for go's and they use go crews who are extra. the regular crews dont do this because its mostly done on night work. or it could be signal problems and the 2's are sent to 148 to turn and in that case its still going to be the 2 crew going back down.

Most people are probably qualified. The only exceptions would be senior guys on the (1)(3)(7) who stay on those lines and never work anythign else (which are all in the same district. Anyone on East Side has almost nothing but 142's).

And then, when people go on refreshers they probably introduce them to the new stuff on the rest of the system.

exactly and some of those senior guys have not seen a refresher in about 5-10 years. they brag about who has gone longest with out a refresher.as for the 3 and 7 line some of those guys dont leave for anything. they might spend 25years on that same line.

exactly and some of those senior guys have not seen a refresher in about 5-10 years. they brag about who has gone longest with out a refresher.as for the 3 and 7 line some of those guys dont leave for anything. they might spend 25years on that same line.

Isn't the (1) a very senior line now because of the new facilities as new South Ferry?

A Div C/R's got it easy these days we use to kill for a R62. When I started as a C/R in A DIV we still had Redbirds on the (2)(4)(5)(6)(7) Lines. That was real work.

Those must have been the days. I was in a hot car today for a stop, but I can only imagine a whole day in a Redbird cab.

Yeah plus even though buffs love to play with them, cranking all those signs if you had a car coming in out of a yard that had been resigned, having to set all those would be a real pain. Hot corner cab + the signs + higher breakdown rates must not have been too fun. Plus I've heard that the redbirds had metal "lips" around the door buttons that if a C/R did the "no look" thing and tried to hit the button blind while looking down the side rather than finding the button first, then looking, then closing...he could miss the button, hit the lip, and if he caught the fingernail and did it hard enough cause him self quite a bit of temporary pain...

Yeah plus even though buffs love to play with them, cranking all those signs if you had a car coming in out of a yard that had been resigned, having to set all those would be a real pain. Hot corner cab + the signs + higher breakdown rates must not have been too fun. Plus I've heard that the redbirds had metal "lips" around the door buttons that if a C/R did the "no look" thing and tried to hit the button blind while looking down the side rather than finding the button first, then looking, then closing...he could miss the button, hit the lip, and if he caught the fingernail and did it hard enough cause him self quite a bit of temporary pain...

You know in July and August I they keeped me on the (2) Like it was a picked job. Yes sometimes my finger nails would kill me because at least twice a day I hit it wrong. Also the cars themselfs were hot and you could not trust the indication since you get steady indication with people in the doors. I remember one time on the (2) I got all R142's since I was the only one Quilified in the time range. I got to Flatbush they ask me if I can go in and out with the train and the same at E 241 and back at Flat. I Said Yes which means I did not get off that R142 from my First trip out of E 241 until the end of my last trip but I was happy spending the whole day on that train was alot better then getting off to be on a Redbird for 1 1/2 trips.

Archived