Unused Letters And Numbers

Then why was it skipped in the BMT's 1960 letter assignment? Some people say it alludes to bathroom humor.
I kind of don't think they were thinking like that. San Francisco was just as cosmopolitan and bohemian as NY, but they designated one of their lines "P", and so did other transit systems (CT-Hartford has a "P" route as well).

I could see them skipping "PP" because of that, as it is too obvious and specifically associated with the bathroom, (hence, the local being "PT"), but the single letter "P" would be ridiculous, for some hypothetical pun no one was probably even thinking of then. Even that "take a P" comment they would not have thought of, bcause this was the BMT, and they still would not be commonly known by the letters as the IND was, (at least not for almost a whole decade from the time the letters must have been chosen).

If they proposed it for the Amtrak strike in recent times (as obsessed with bathroom humor as society is now), they would not have avoided it way back then.

I believe the reason it was skipped is because it would have been the Culver, which was cut back right before the first "all B-Div" letters were printed on rollsigns. To verify this, I had asked around for any records of those who assigned the letters, to see if the designation process may have occurred early enough into the 50's when the Culver still ran service to Manhattan, and what the letter would have been, but that info could not be found anywhere. But by deduction, it would make sense that P would be a southern div. line (A-H: IND; J-M: BMT East; N-T: BMT South), and sure enough; a southern division route had just been discontinued.

If I recall correctly, (V) originally was planned for the Second Avenue Subway that was left out of the capital budget in 1976.

Actually, the (V) was originally one of the new proposed routes for the 1968 "Program for Action" plan. It was supposed to be the super express line, from the proposed 63rd Street tunnel, east of the planned 21st Street-Queensbridge station or the Sunnyside Yards, along the LIRR ROW to 71st/Continental Ave-Forest Hills, and South Jamaica. The super express service was to be finished constructed by 1983/84 with South Jamaica coming on the line fully to Springfield Blvd sometime in 1988.

What Happened? Well the city ran out of money...so most of the new routes was not built...and the (V) could not be used as planned. No matter, it took about 20 years to see (V) service...it's here for the better or worse.

Actually, the (V) was originally one of the new proposed routes for the 1968 "Program for Action" plan. It was supposed to be the super express line, from the proposed 63rd Street tunnel, east of the planned 21st Street-Queensbridge station or the Sunnyside Yards, along the LIRR ROW to 71st/Continental Ave-Forest Hills, and South Jamaica. The super express service was to be finished constructed by 1983/84 with South Jamaica coming on the line fully to Springfield Blvd sometime in 1988.

What Happened? Well the city ran out of money...so most of the new routes was not built...and the (V) could not be used as planned. No matter, it took about 20 years to see (V) service...it's here for the better or worse.

Was it called the (V) or was it just the route that was proposed or is this why my R27/30 has a (V) on the end of it?

R27/30 has a (V) on the end of it?

The (V) originally was supposed to be a proposed route for the 1968 "Program for Action" plan. When the R27/30s was rebuilt in the mid 80s, the (V) route was installed into the rollsigns. Obviously, the (V) was supposed to be an 6th Avenue route (like now), to the proposed route that I mentioned above. Obviously, this route never came to pass, so the (V) route was unused. It was until 12/17/2001, is when the route finally got introduced as the Queens Blvd/6th Avenue route, and finally came into service.

JJ was used for all Broad St local service in 1967

Actually, the old (JJ) route ran from 168th Street-Jamaica to Broad Street during the non-rush hours, and the A.M. Rush hour trains ran Canal Street. P.M. Rush hour trains ran from Canal Street to Atlantic Avenue (Canarsie Line) or Crescent Street.

Was it called the (V) or was it just the route that was proposed or is this why my R27/30 has a (V) on the end of it?

Your R27/30 sign has the (V) on it because it was a new addition when the signs were updated in 1985, meaning that it was reserved for future use. For some reason, it didn't have the (JFK) like the R68s do, but they all show in the same order, with a diamond <B>, <N> and <R>, all in yellow. <C> and <Q> are diamonds only, and there was no (Z) yet (the Eastern division lines are there, but they were removed in 1988). I think the R68s had a <W> but not the R27s though.

The (V) originally was supposed to be a proposed route for the 1968 "Program for Action" plan. When the R27/30s was rebuilt in the mid 80s, the (V) route was installed into the rollsigns. Obviously, the (V) was supposed to be an 6th Avenue route (like now), meaning that it was reserved for future use. Obviously, this route never came to pass, so the (V) route was unused, until 12/17/2001. 12/17/2001 is when the route finally got introduced as the Queens Blvd/6th Avenue route, and finally came into service.

The (V) originally was supposed to be a proposed route for the 1968 "Program for Action" plan. When the R27/30s was rebuilt in the mid 80s, the (V) route was installed into the rollsigns. Obviously, the (V) was supposed to be an 6th Avenue route (like now), meaning that it was reserved for future use. Obviously, this route never came to pass, so the (V) route was unused, until 12/17/2001. 12/17/2001 is when the route finally got introduced as the Queens Blvd/6th Avenue route, and finally came into service.

Um, thanks for posting that...for a second time. I got it the first time dude, trust me.

Word, it should be a crosstown along 125th. The 125th Street Station is actually on Lexington Ave and 125th.
Ohh thanks, one thing tough to make is the (1) transfer at 125th if the (T) was to go crosstown.

Archived