Mayor Bloomberg onboard with Segway drivers, but police are not

Harry

Should Segways be allowed on New York sidewalks?  

1. 1. Should Segways be allowed on New York sidewalks?

• Yes, they are a convenient way to get around.
    • No, they are a menace to pedestrians.
    • Only in limited cases.

Self-described Segway "outlaw" Jonathan Gleich is delighted Mayor Bloomberg favors letting the geeky-looking contraptions ride on city streets.

He just wishes city cops and traffic judges felt the same way, because he is repeatedly socked with tickets and fines for commuting to work on his standup Segway two-wheeler.

"I've gotten six tickets so far, five of them from the same Manhattan cop," said Gleich, 50, of Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, who is information technology director for a midtown clothing manufacturer.

He says he has had two Segways in about four years and has put more miles on them than on his Honda Element SUV.

Wearing a bicycle helmet, Gleich rides alongside parked cars, not out in the street with moving traffic.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/08/18/2009-08-18_segway_driver_keeps_motoring.html#ixzz0OXEabyTU

post-1-133288580728_thumb.jpg

Anything within logical practicality to improve air quality & get a car of the street.

- A

I do not mind it really....we are keepinh it (E)(A)(R)(T)(H) friendly......it should hhave limts...have the nypd use them in parks board walks train hubs bus hubs.....

(J)(F)(K)...(JFK)

I am not a fan of this on the street with the buses and cars....I mean it is bad enough we have bikes on the street......everytime I am going down 21st street in Lic/Astoria area.... you have people,delivery guys riding a bike in the street with NO HELMET.....if I hit one of these jerks....it will be my fault....I say put the people back on the sidewalks......if a bike rider takes on a car.....guess who is going to win EVERYTIME.....yep you guessed it a car.....they ride without even looking to see whats coming up behind them.....they leave the driving to the guy behind the wheel of the car.....maybe that guy has been drinking and does not see one of you but 3 of you.....maybe he just got blunted.....or maybe he is on the phone,I-pod,texting........

BAD IDEA :tdown:

Yeah when I ride my bike I don't like riding on the street because I worry about cars and such hitting me. I try riding on the sidewalk when I can.

Yeah, except you'll be more likely to get a ticket. I ride my skateboard on the street and cops never say anything. If the street's too bumpy, which sometimes it is, I'll ride on the sidewalk if it's clear. I'll ride on the street where the white strips are at so cars can pass by me easily.

Only problem wiht riding in the street...if these things suddenly lose battery..then ur screwed if a car is right on ur tail and u stop...the car would tackle you. with a bike u just pedal. But these things seem less dangerous at fast speeds then a bike...either way period..

Segway is a pedestrian vehicle (oxymoron i know), they are only allowed to ride on streets by law enforcement, and by special permit.

Basically they are seen as an oversized pair of rollerblades, but not. :cool:

They are not stable enough to ride in traffic, and even myself, who often bikes inches away from large trucks on highways would never in a million years want to ride a segway near automobiles on a road.

Now, invent one that has a stabilizing 3rd wheel and battery assist motor, then get back to me, till then i say stay on the side(walk).

- A

There are two things that come to mind when I saw a picture of that guy on a segway. The first being "Look at that dork, suddenly the motorized scooter drivers have something to laugh at." and that they should rename the segway the virginator 2000. If anyone has gotten laid as a direct result of owning or driving one of these things, then stop having sex with blind people, it is considered poor taste to mess with the disabled.

Segway is a pedestrian vehicle (oxymoron i know), they are only allowed to ride on streets by law enforcement, and by special permit.

They are not stable enough to ride in traffic,

- A

Don't know if it is the same guy in the picture, but a few weeks ago I saw a guy on a Segway riding in the traffic lane on Coney Island Avenue. It was the first time I saw one in the street not driven by law enforcement. Guess what? He had a New York State drivers license for it!, the size of a motorcycle license. His plate number was: "SEGWAY". So I guess they are allowed.

Tell you one thing though. Riding behind him, I was scared stiff that I was going to hit him since he is wider than a bicycle, I had to switch lanes to pass and it took me about three blocks to get away from him because he was making such good time in slow traffic. Can't help but wonder what the license restricts him to. Can't imagine that he is allowed on highways or wide boulevards.

I would have no problem allowing him and bicycles on sidewalks when no pedestrians are present. It's a lot safer than in the streets.

Bikes are not allowed on the sideway so get in the street buddy. And throw a reflector or two on that thing so you don't end up as a hood ornament.

LOL..........

There are two things that come to mind when I saw a picture of that guy on a segway. The first being "Look at that dork, suddenly the motorized scooter drivers have something to laugh at." and that they should rename the segway the virginator 2000. If anyone has gotten laid as a direct result of owning or driving one of these things, then stop having sex with blind people, it is considered poor taste to mess with the disabled.

LMFAO.........

Those two comments were hilarious to me. It should be on the street, as guess who will win??? Granny or the Segway (aka virginator 2000)????????

LOL..........

LMFAO.........

Those two comments were hilarious to me. It should be on the street, as guess who will win??? Granny or the Segway (aka virginator 2000)????????

My money's on granny. At least she's got 4 wheels and can steer properly. Virginator becomes granny's hood ornament how bout that.

These things should be kept off the city streets and kept on sidewalks for the simple fact is that in todays world of speeding cars it would not be a wise idea.You have your safe drivers and you have the fast ones trying to beat the light.Picture these Segways in a fast moving,crowded street in the city full of angry,frustrated cabbies and drivers and you're asking for accidents waiting to happen.I have almost been hit by fast driving cabbie hacks,cars,bicycles and peddicabs and that's crossing the street with the walk only sign.Keep these space age contraptions off the city streets and let's call it a day.

Archived