MTA track worker killed on "A" line in Queens after hitting '3rd rail' by accident.

Shortline Bus

Wow, that's very sad. :):cry:

Bottom contact 3rd rail is nearly impossible to cover, hence why it is quite rare, and only on the older systems.

- A

Not ture, on MNRR there is an isulator on the rail that covers the top and sides of the rail leaving the underside expossed. In GCT you can see the insulator as it is bright orange but every where else it becomes black.

May the worker rest in peace. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the newer subway systems especially the ones in Asia all utilize overhead lines over third rail for more power and better safety. And I actually thought that bottom contact third rail was the safest since one can barely touch it unless they actually tripped under the rail.

Not ture, on MNRR there is an isulator on the rail that covers the top and sides of the rail leaving the underside expossed. In GCT you can see the insulator as it is bright orange but every where else it becomes black.

Yea i've seen it many times. :cool:

May the worker rest in peace. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the newer subway systems especially the ones in Asia all utilize overhead lines over third rail for more power and better safety. And I actually thought that bottom contact third rail was the safest since one can barely touch it unless they actually tripped under the rail.

The insulator coating is simply a way to keep it from being a totally exposed energized piece of metal, in reality if you touched it, you'd get a fairly strong (probably less than fatal) jolt because it is still high voltage DC capable of arcing, and if there were any cracks or holes in the coating, it could get you there as well.

The main reason NYC used the bottom contact is to differentiate itself technologically from PRR, which at the time used top contact rail to get from manhattan transfer to NYP. From 1910 to 1934 this 3rd rail was how people got into NYP from new jersey. The (probably asbestos at the time) guards were the type that covered top and side. Some of these guards (made from newer, safer fiberglass) still use the same up side down L shape on the LIRR tracks & in the NYP yards.

Arguments about which is safer are moot if you switched to overhead 3rd rail or overhead wire. I myself have thought that a switch to overhead active tension wire system would eliminate these types of fatalities by removing an element of lethal danger completely away from passengers and track workers. There is enough space to do the conversion, and current NTT rolling stock could be rebuilt to use it, however the money for such a project is nowhere, so not a practical option currently.

- A

Here the brief story and video link of the (MTA) track worker who died.

Transit Worker Dies On The Job In Queens

By: NY1 News

An MTA transit worker died Tuesday after collapsing on the job in Queens.

Officials say Scott Baur, 48, was working as a track inspector at the

Rockaway Boulevard Station Tuesday morning when he collapsed on the platform.

Baur was taken to Jamaica Hospital where he died.

There's no word yet on the cause of death but an interntal (MTA)invgestation is ongoing.

The 26-year New York City Transit veteran is survived by his wife and three children.:cry:

c)2009 NY1 News, Inc.

http://ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/104312/transit-worker-dies-on-the-job-in-queens/Default.aspx

Here the brief story and video link of the (MTA) track worker who died.

Transit Worker Dies On The Job In Queens

By: NY1 News

An MTA transit worker died Tuesday after collapsing on the job in Queens.

Officials say Scott Baur, 48, was working as a track inspector at the

Rockaway Boulevard Station Tuesday morning when he collapsed on the platform.

Baur was taken to Jamaica Hospital where he died.

There's no word yet on the cause of death but an interntal (MTA)invgestation is ongoing.

The 26-year New York City Transit veteran is survived by his wife and three children.:cry:

c)2009 NY1 News, Inc.

http://ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/104312/transit-worker-dies-on-the-job-in-queens/Default.aspx

On Wed, I was told heart attack, then he collapsed.. The third rail at Rock Blvd is opposite side of the tracks from the platforms, a pretty far fall to come in contact with the rail..

Archived