Rowdy behavior on NYC-bound LIRR train from Montauk on weekends?

Shortline Bus

Here an intresting video of rowdy behavior on a weekend NYC bound LIRR train leaving Montauk/the Hamptons. This is the first part of an investgation from Fox-5 News.

Source http://WWW.MYFOXNY.COM

Reporter Andrea Day first aired August 18, 2009-part 1

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/investigative/090818_Rowdy_Hamptons_LIRR_Train

reactions/comments?:tdown:

Here an intresting video of rowdy behavior on a weekend NYC bound LIRR train leaving Montauk/the Hamptons. This is the first part of an investgation from Fox-5 News.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/investigative/090818_Rowdy_Hamptons_LIRR_Train

reactions/comments?:tdown:

That's great... Morons.

Anyone remember that teenage girl who fell through the gap between the train and the platform at the Woodside station three years ago? She died after scrambling under the island platform to the opposite side tracks and was then hit by a train? When the NTSB released their report and blamed it on a combination of things including the girl being under the influence of alcohol, people still continued to blame the LIRR.

Now, if something were to happen to one of the clowns from this newscast, would people still point their fingers at the LIRR? Of course. I hope people, regular commuters and the general public, see this video and realize that when one finger is pointed, three fingers are pointing back.

I agree with you.This is the sort of thing that one can expect on a subway ride and not on a LIRR train.This stupid behavior of drinking to the beyond and acting stupid on the train is not acceptable.Does anyone want to hear loud mouths and see puke around them on what's supposed to be a nice train ride?.Imagine one of them falling over the platform into the tracks or picking a fight with a passenger,all potential problem starters.:mad:

That website uploaded supicious files to my computer.

As for rowdy, if there's alcohol involved, people are going to act like morons.

It happens after and before mets & rangers & giants & jets games like clockwork on LIRR and (NJT).

- A

Drinking is fine.

But it is not an excuse to be a moron.

Anything that is done by a person under the influence of alcohol or drugs is ENTIRELY THEIR OWN FAULT. It is not the railroad's, the city's, the government's, or mommy and daddy's job to look after a grown ass adult after they've had a few drinks.

They are on their own.

The sooner lawmakers and juries realize this, the better.

That website uploaded supicious files to my computer.

As for rowdy, if there's alcohol involved, people are going to act like morons.

It happens after and before mets & rangers & giants & jets games like clockwork on LIRR and (NJT).

- A

I am no tsure you can NYC's Fox 5 in Bucks County my friend but if you do they replaying in a few minutes at 10pm.

This has been happening for years, it's nothing new. Atleast they are on a train and not on the road driving.

I agree with that and it has and always will happen,but there has to be a line drawn and that is if they are going to act stupid and cause potential harm to themselves and/or others around then they should not be drinking.Leave the drinking to people that know how to consume alcohol casually and that can sit down and behave like a civilized human being.

This has been happening for years, it's nothing new. Atleast they are on a train and not on the road driving.

Slightly off topic but related that why i always thought Metro North should run a 4am northbound train on Friday(Early Sat)and Saturday(Early Sunday AM)at least to White Plains, Stamford and Croton Harmon.

I been on both the last Hudson Line trains for the day leaving GCT, the 1am and 150am Northbound MNRR local on Saturday Nights for Croton/Poughkeepsie several times and i seen similar behavior. One time i wanted to use the train's rest room and after waiting a few minutes i heard a scream/moan. I got the conductor to open the train bathroom door and a couple was 'half naked' with a woman topless.:):tdown: Both were drunk. Guys use your noodle to guess what happened in that train bathroom.

Talk about a wild party on board lol.

Well Hudson River there is a saying that is timeless and classic and that is "The freaks come out at night" :P.Seriously,i don't think the train crew or the commuters can do anything about it that much,as long as they have a valid ticket this nonsense will continue unfortunately.

You mean this song to describe most of the LIRR/MNRR overnight trains filled w/ drunks lol.

Why LIRR sell alcohol on the trains in the first place?IMO,they shouldn't.

I dont think the LIRR on this trip(correct me guys if i am wrong)is selling alcohol. The Beer and other booze is coming from weekend travlers who live in the '5' boros or close to NYC from Montauk and the Hamptons. :P

In case any one missed it here the link to video again.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/inve...ons_LIRR_Train

I dont think the LIRR on this trip(correct me guys if i am wrong)is selling alcohol. The Beer and other booze is coming from weekend travlers who live in the '5' boros or close to NYC from Montauk and the Hamptons. B)

In case any one missed it here the link to video again.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/inve...ons_LIRR_Train

I agree with Hudson River,these drunken fools are getting on the train already drunk BJC.These kids are enjoying the summer weather and escaping to the Hamptons for partying and when a few are beyond the common sense mode,anything goes on the train or station.LIRR is not to be blamed for the actions of a crowd of drunken and irresponsible fools.My motto is if you can't drink and hold your liquor then you don't have business to drink at all.I have been to the Hamptons twice when i was in high school and with a few of my old school chums.We drank and rode the train back to Brooklyn the next day.We always drank responsibly and never caused a ruckus on the train.Everybody is not the same in this world.

(MTA) approved vendors sell alcohol at certain stations. They don't just sell alcohol though, i've had my share of carbonated non-alcoholic beverages. :cool:

I just think people need to be self-regulating, sadly most people can't even control their credit card spending let alone what they eat & drink.

& yes at least they are on a train and not driving, too much of the D&D.:mad:

- A

I know conductors on trains really shouldn't have to "patrol" the cars in order to keep unruly passengers in order, but I think (if it's not already in effect), that conductors should have rights similar to a bartender. If a passenger appears inebriated or under the influence of some substance, the conductor should have the power to lawfully remove that person from the train at a convenient and safe location in order to protect the safety of the other passengers and that person.

Anyone agree? It's rather controversial.

I know conductors on trains really shouldn't have to "patrol" the cars in order to keep unruly passengers in order, but I think (if it's not already in effect), that conductors should have rights similar to a bartender. If a passenger appears inebriated or under the influence of some substance, the conductor should have the power to lawfully remove that person from the train at a convenient and safe location in order to protect the safety of the other passengers and that person.

Anyone agree? It's rather controversial.

Actually its has pros and cons. The main con i can think of is that MNRR/LIRR conductors are not law enforcement and could get themseleves harmed w/ an out of control rider.

The Pro is that since the (MTA)Police is rather a small force for the hundreds of miles both LIRR/MNRR travel in the region, it can be helpful.

Personally i think more patrols by (MTA) Police especially the late evening/overnight trains on Friday/Saturday nights is a better idea.

Actually its has pros and cons. The main con i can think of is that MNRR/LIRR conductors are not law enforcement and could get themseleves harmed w/ an out of control rider.

The Pro is that since the (MTA)Police is rather a small force for the hundreds of miles both LIRR/MNRR travel in the region, it can be helpful.

Personally i think more patrols by (MTA) Police especially the late evening/overnight trains on Friday/Saturday nights is a better idea.

I agree.MTA cops needed during these times.

This kind of behavior shouldn't be allowed on the train. It's a threat to the health and safety of the passengers and crew.

The cops should throw these ppl in a drunk tank and wait till they sober up. Public intoxication is against the law in many places.

All I can say is the packed Montauk trains in summer full of rude snobs isn't the worst of it I guess.

Unfortunately given the crowded and unsanitary conditions on these trains being publicized, Hampton Jitney will get that many more customers, despite costing significantly more than the LIRR.

Hopefully this is a wake-up call to the LIRR to increase service (which should completely be do-able on weekends with no rush hour sets needed) and be stricter on enforcing behavior standards on trains.

I just want to add the MTA ix very lax when it comes to public intoxication and disorderly conduct. Suffolk Transit will either ask them to leave or have SCPD meet the bus.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived