Taxi goes airborne, crashes into entrance of busy subway station

Harry

An out-of-control taxi went airborne in Manhattan on Tuesday - smashing through an iron fence and crashing into the entrance to a busy subway station.

Three people were injured, but amazingly, no one was seriously hurt or killed at the intersection of W. 72nd St., Amsterdam Ave. and Broadway at the start of rush hour.

"Lucky isn't the word," a police source said. "Thank God. Dozens could have been taken out."

Only the cabbie, his passenger and pedestrian Mucuy Bolles, 39, had to be treated for injuries after the 4 p.m. smashup.

Bolles, 39, of West Haven, Conn., is a modern dancer and was hit in the lower leg by debris, opening a gash that required five stitches.

"It was a shock," Bolles said. "I didn't realize I was hurt until I saw the blood."

The crash happened when the cabbie lost control driving north on Amsterdam Ave. The cab careened off the roadway and nearly cleared a 4-foot-high wrought-iron fence separating a traffic island from the intersection.

"He hit the fence, and he went flying," said Samuel Valerdi, 34, of Brooklyn.

Then the taxi smashed into a small building that houses the entrance to the (1), (2) and (3) subway trains.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/08/19/2009-08-19_taxi_goes_airborne.html#ixzz0Od5b3pRk

post-1-13328858073_thumb.jpg

post-1-13328858073_thumb.jpg

I got hit by a cab back in early 2007 while running acros 7th ave on 34th st to NYP. Slid across the hood & kept going or else woulda been stuck in the city for 3 days. Bunch of people were all "holy *** are you ok", just yelled "i can't miss the train!!". They had a red, i had LED man.

They sometimes don't respect pedxing sign, even though they have last priority not only in NY but in Nj and PA as well. How do you get a license not knowing traffic laws? :mad:

I seriously think foreign born cabbies (and those in some other professions) talk to people in their home country some of the time they are on the phone. The rest is talking to their family, usually wife, or sometimes close friends since they are in a cab all day or different time zone.

Indian guy at the DD in town that works the night shift speaks hindi, i'll go in sometimes 2-4 am and he will be talking to someone in india, and sometimes people at another DD a few towns over. They must have amazing calling plans, because i called just ireland when my (now ex) girlfriend was there for a few minutes & my phone bill was like $120 more than normal.

It's a car, not a rickshaw.

\rant

- A

TLC(Taxi Limousine Commission) should do daily inspections on their medallion fleet if this cab supposedly went out of control just to be on the safe side.Now if this cabbie hack was talking on the phone and wasn't paying attention to driving then he needs to be reprimanded or fired on the other hand if the vehicle went out of control than it should have been kept out of service.I will give this case the benefit of the doubt sometimes freak things can occur.Thank god no one was killed.

There are too many cabs on the road. Do we really need an armada on the road? If these cabs are necessary, there should be restrictions placed on them. I don't care if the passenger has an emergency, I don't care if the cabbie is rushing to pick up a passenger or trying to get home... obey local traffic laws, watch out where you're going and don't do crazy sh*t.

There are too many cabs on the road. Do we really need an armada on the road? If these cabs are necessary, there should be restrictions placed on them. I don't care if the passenger has an emergency, I don't care if the cabbie is rushing to pick up a passenger or trying to get home... obey local traffic laws, watch out where you're going and don't do crazy sh*t.

I totally agree with you on that MTR Admiralty.

Cabs are the main reason why ours buses are so banged upped. I think cabs should be restricted to the outer-boros during the day or one roads where buses and trains run.

I would love to see the day when the MTA takes over the TLC. That way cabbies are paid hourly and have no reason to cut across 4 lanes of traffic to make a buck.

I don't think MTR Admiralty is saying that cabs aren't necessary,i think he is saying that is it really necessary for having so many of them,it's like a plague of taxis out there.If one is drunk like a skunk after coming out of a club,than ofcourse one uses public transportation or have a designated sober friend take that person home.As this unfortunate freak accident happened let's just thank god no one was killed.

Cabs are the main reason why ours buses are so banged upped. I think cabs should be restricted to the outer-boros during the day or one roads where buses and trains run.

I would love to see the day when the MTA takes over the TLC. That way cabbies are paid hourly and have no reason to cut across 4 lanes of traffic to make a buck.

This makes sense,a wonderful idea.City streets,roads and highways are already jammed up,let's not forget our wonderful tractor trailers out there some of them don't deserve to be on that road at all either.Drivers should be able to drive safe,point blank.

When I was coming out of HSES and heading to 7th Av-57th St Station for (N)(R)(W), taxi on SB going Broadway turning left onto 57th St hit pedestrian also.

This also remind me when I was small and I was biking on 1st Av crosswalk with my roommate crossing 96th St, when walk sign became DON'T WALK, giant monster trailer truck ALMOST STRUCK ME BECAUSE HE DID NOT SEE ME.

Everytime I pass huge trailer truck, I get phobia I might get hit, so I raise hands as I can do, so truck don't hit.

Other time taxi in Yorkville going southbound on 2nd Av jump a red, cutting in front of disable with cane, and he hit the taxi with cane to tell he was very dangerrous.

I was almost hit by X37 on 5th Av, which jump red right in front of me when I was crossing 41st St.

I also remember when I was on BM3 or X25 not sure, and bus was going NB on FDR Drive, and there was crazy person walking SB on oncoming NB Busiest Highway.

I also remember news Jewish boy that after school, boy was crossing 4th Av at 9th St, when monster construction truck turning right to 4th Av northbound at westbound 9th St to 4th Av hit the boy, and dragged him 10ft, until bystander told truck driver you hit boy.

I still cannot forget the news about cyclist biking on West Side Highway bike path jump red at Tow Pound, when biker was hit by the tow truck.

Not only cab, other outside drivers as well.

I remember when I was on M60 going eastbound on Astoria Blvd,when trailer truck with flatbed trailer was carrying wood. One red car cut in front of truck, and if truck have not seen the car skipped that truck, that car almost cause serious accident and important bus might have been stock which I was one and lots of people might have miss their flight.

No,the MTA really need to take over the Dollars vans out in Brooklyn....

No,the MTA really need to take over the Dollars vans out in Brooklyn....

I was nearly hit by one of those deathtraps a few weeks ago. I was crossing a street and had the right of way, but the dollar van driver didn't even notice me and sped past within inches of me. Unfortunately, I didn't get the plate number.

Archived