I'm confused now with railcar purchases in 10-14 capital plan

Fan Railer

I actually got a PM from one of our members here about the specifications of the R179s. If I heard right, they will only be an extension of the current R160 order, which means they will be 60 footers. Don't expect any 75 footers.

The reason why 75 footers were on the table was because people thought it would make sense to have new 75 footers replace existing 75 footers. One car for each car. Perhaps efficent, perhaps less costly.

true, but the R44s do not have the technology as the newer fleets do. Cars are way more complex when it comes to systems intergration than 30 years ago.

Well, if cars as old as the R44s are able to support such an intricate task such as exchanging cars, then I don't see why newer cars can't. R62As on the (7) do just that, even if they aren't that high-tech with new tech cars.

I actually got a PM from one of our members here about the specifications of the R179s. If I heard right, they will only be an extension of the current R160 order, which means they will be 60 footers. Don't expect any 75 footers.

The reason why 75 footers were on the table was because people thought it would make sense to have new 75 footers replace existing 75 footers. One car for each car. Perhaps efficent, perhaps less costly.

That seems like very good news. If anyone did the math correctly then you could still replace 75-footers with 60-footers; technically, the R160s did that when they displaced many of the older cars, even the R46s and the R68s, to other lines.

I think the question to the Div B fleet future seems to be answered. However, I believe that with the R188 order, there will be an excess amount of R62As floating around. The text addresses the 7th Avenue Line, with extended peak periods.

Anyone wants to take a stab at what could happen next?

M3's are funny to spot most of the time,sometimes you can catch them on the Babylon,Port Washington or Huntington Branches.I have been on the Huntington Branch recently and i have mostly seen M3's and M7's.If you want to catch one stay at Penn Station or Flatbush Avenue Station during Peak hours and you will see a few of them,Off Peak they can be spotty.Far Rockaway runs M3's sometimes during Off Peak hours.

They are much easier to find on Metro North...Harlem Line...

Im not gonna call anyone a lier, But i rly would like proof off the (MTA) on where they said they are ether ordering 60 Ft Cars or 75ft Cars of the R179. Becuz if we are just saying things with out source then we are all wrong. We dont even know what car sizes are the (MTA) Ordering for this, Of course its somewhere Above 60ft. For now I'm not thinking there isnt gonna be 60 ft car or 75ft.

If anyones gonna tell me look all over the (MTA)s website, well you are kidden then..

I think the question to the Div B fleet future seems to be answered. However, I believe that with the R188 order, there will be an excess amount of R62As floating around. The text addresses the 7th Avenue Line, with extended peak periods.

Anyone wants to take a stab at what could happen next?

who said this? Cuz I wanna know.And I hope he/she has a source..

Just to clear the air, the MTA hasn't even started the bidding process for the next B Division car order. Something tells me that the TA WILL exercise Option III to retire off the R44's.

I know a few things about the R160 car order that I will not post here.

That's why I have serious doubts on MTR's post.

yup sry MTR..

Maybe its an 3 supplementary order i guess..

Even so, I'm just glad that R179s are gonna be 60 feet, and even if the MTA flip-flop their plans like they always do, I hope they stay as 60'. Fleet swaps occur all the time. I was surprised when I saw R40 Slants and Straights and R42s on the (A), something I did not think was possible. I was wrong. By keeping all cars as 60', it'll be easy to send cars to different yards, as they usually do.

yup sry MTR..

Maybe its an 3 supplementary order i guess..

ok, i can see that. but dont be surprised if the SIR order falls under the (maybe) R179 contract. FRA specs. I can speculate the SIR cars will not have a Bullet sign on the front but possibily a text destination sign on front, and a simplified FIND display. they could even go with the strip map display used on R142s/143s

ok, i can see that. but dont be surprised if the SIR order falls under the (maybe) R179 contract. FRA specs. I can speculate the SIR cars will not have a Bullet sign on the front but possibily a text destination sign on front, and a simplified FIND display. they could even go with the strip map display used on R142s/143s

Are you serious? I knew the MTA would go cheap on the FIND displays!

iys only my speculation. WHy would SI need a FIND as complex as the ones on the 160s if SI only has one route? It would save money

Maybe. I think the side LED signs would definitely stay as they can determine whether or not trains will be going express or not. This way passengers won't have to ask others by holding the doors open to determine if their train is going express or not during rush hours.

Maybe. I think the side LED signs would definitely stay as they can determine whether or not trains will be going express or not. This way passengers won't have to ask others by holding the doors open to determine if their train is going express or not during rush hours.

well the current fleets end signs state local or epress service. These R44s had their side signs removed during the GOH. I would expect side signs returning with the next order but similar to the PA5's PATH have. Destination only. Im hoping they add one to the front as well. an LED display in the front could state destination, and service pattern like "St. George Express", "Great Kills Local". maybe even step it up a notch by stating something like "Tottenville-EXP to Great Kills"

Just to clear the air, the MTA hasn't even started the bidding process for the next B Division car order. Something tells me that the TA WILL exercise Option III to retire off the R44's. That's why I have serious doubts on MTR's post.

The R44s are still going to be here for at least another 3-6 years, there's no need for bidding to start this early. R160 bidding started that early because the R160 fleet is over 5 times as large as the R179 fleet may be.

As for the O/P, I don't see any confusion at all for the future car orders. There is one order for 200 cars and another order for 140 cars. 340 60-foot cars is equal to 272 75-foot cars. The NYCT R44 fleet is 272 cars. It also says that 80 cars will replace the 64 on the SIR. 80 60-foot cars = 64 75-foot cars. This supports the claim that the new order of cars will be 60-feet long.

This also clears up one more thing. The (MTA) is only buying enough cars to replace the R44s. This means that there is no need for a 3rd R160 option order to replace the R32-R42 fleet. If there is a third R160 option order (of which there is no need) then it would do the same thing as the R179 order would. After reading that excerpt from Fan Railer's post I'm pretty confident the R179's will be 60 feet long and will only replace the R44s. The R46s are here to stay.

The (MTA) plans on ordering the cars within their 2010-2014 capital plan, if it gets fully funded. The R160 order will finish by the end of next year. Then we have the conrract and everything, then another year of testing and building the cars. So that's about 2011-2014, and that's if everything goes according to plan or if the (MTA) wants to retire them right after the last R32s go. The point of the R44's getting their SMS is so that they last until 2013-2015 when the new cars were said to come in news articles. If you want to find out what article I'm talking about, go to http://www.nydailynews.com. Look around and you'll find out on your own.

The (MTA) plans on ordering the cars within their 2010-2014 capital plan, if it gets fully funded. The R160 order will finish by the end of next year. Then we have the conrract and everything, then another year of testing and building the cars. So that's about 2011-2014, and that's if everything goes according to plan or if the (MTA) wants to retire them right after the last R32s go. The point of the R44's getting their SMS is so that they last until 2013-2015 when the new cars were said to come in news articles. If you want to find out what article I'm talking about, go to http://www.nydailynews.com. Look around and you'll find out on your own.

I quoted myself since you replied after I was editing my post.

The information is out in the open on mta.info. Just look around and you'll find out on your own. Also, this has been known before the 160 order was placed. Stop trying to avoid the subject regaring you and MTR's MTA source.
sourcing mta.info without linking to anything in particular is like linking to google.com as your source without linking to anything. :tdown:

Are you lazy to just look around? Does this look like school to you? It isn't. I don't have to provide links. I just want members here to just dig up the information themselves. Its part of learning and understanding. Get it?

I think your the one that's too lazy. Do you say the same to your college professors on your college reports? I'm sure they want a source not a generic "go to ***.com". If you don't have to provide links, don't expect people to listen to you. Also, since you "can" opt out of providing a source what gives you the right to demand someone to state their source? Hypocrite much?

I'm lazy? Ha, how funny...not. Well I'm not in school right now, I don't have to answer all of the aformented questions. Me, a hypocrite? I don't think so. Where is your name inside transit history textbooks? I don't see it anywhere, oh wait my name is. I know a lot more things than most members here. The last thing I'm going to say is why are people attempting to disagree with me?
HA! So you were the last passenger out of South Ferry and out of the R40 Slants, What do you want? A cookie? You need to cut the "I'm holier than thou" attitude around here with other members. So what if R160B8713 became a railfan cause he liked the R160, I got into trains because I loved riding the R40 slants on the 4th Avenue express. Does that make you better than me? no, nor does it make me better than you. I can easily name two people here that know more than you but you don't see them going around here insulting people claiming to be better than everyone cause they "know more". No one knows everything, so stop acting like you do. Everyone is here so they can offer what they know so that people can learn from them and so that can learn what they don't know from those that do.

Edit: Also, want to know where my name in transit history is going to be? Well my name in transit history is going to be on those checks I will be getting from the MTA when I go to the bank to cash my checks for working with the MTA.

Um, let's see

That doesn't mean anything. The TA could still place a third option order to the existing R160 contract. Just look at the R142A's. The last 80 cars can be considered Option Order III R142A's. The 2010-2014 Captital Plan hasn't been approved by the MTA Board yet. That shows that you got into being a "railfan" soley because of the R160's.

and how about every time you condescendingly state "I know a lot more things than most members here."

You got to be kidding me. The R44's aren't going to last to 2015. I would expect the TA to begin retiring the 44's within the next 18-24 months. I would like to know your source as well as MTR's.

What's your proof for such a speculation? Even if the "Option III" were to come, it would just barely cover 1/3 of the 272 R44s. In addition, Jamaica yard will undergo an expansion in the coming years as according to the Capital Plan which pretty much answers the question as to where the "R160S" might go.

Let's slow down about this capital plan (wish list) and new subway rolling stock for a minute. It's not fully funded AFAIK and may never be. While everyone loves new and shiny cars I would bet that a lot of these funds, if ever realized, will be diverted to station projects ( 181 st) and such. I realize that the (MTA) may not be the brightest bulbs but only fools would run new trains through crumbling infrastructure. Those patchwork repairs must be replaced with permanent construction and I bet the next governor and emperor-for-life Bloomberg will push harder for it rather than new subway cars.

Archived