Second Ave. Subway Sinking Shops

mark1447

2j5yphw.jpg

It's the subway, stupid.

It's not the stinking economy that's trashing the bottom lines and leading to layoffs at dozens of businesses on the Upper East Side -- it's the much-delayed construction along the Second Avenue subway, according to a survey of 59 shops.

Ninety-one percent of businesses located near the construction said they've sold less goods and products since the MTA broke ground on the $4.8 billion mega-project in 2007.

One-third say they'll have to close shop before the latest completion date, which is July 2017, said Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum.

To make ends meet, another 46 percent of the 59 businesses polled have laid off workers due to the construction.

Owners have long complained of noise and blocked sidewalks, while seemingly endless work has covered up signs and driven business away from the shops.

SOURCE: NY Post

August 19, 2009

Topic Title is used by WNBC4 New York, since the title of NY Post Sucked!

Invasive infrastucture construction will lead to a strong impact on the local community. It is bound to happen, but the contractors should try to minimise the impact and should not inhibit access. Of course this could affect the area's economy, but the subway is needed. Once the subway is up and running, there should be positive changes to the community.

While I feel bad for 2nd ave shop owners and try to use them when I can...except for the chains (shakes fist - but I will support Taco Bell on 94th B))...a lot of this has been taken out of context and sensationalized. Of course sales are down! We're in a serious recession here. A more thoughtful piece would have shown that these guys' sales are down more than the average business, if that's the case. Since the writer didn't go that far, we can't tell.

I do believe in supporting them though. And screw you Starbucks for taking my neighborhood and catering to the yuppie contingent. May you and your $5 burnt bitter coffee burn some more in hell.

My school is only a few blocks away from the construction site so I've seen the effects on the shops firsthand. It's not bad from 95-99th and 69-74th Sts. where they're doing minimal construction, but if you walk from 91-95th streets you will see that a large majority of the businesses on Second Ave. have closed down. This is not just because of the recession, but the construction, for a lot of the time, made it seem that these stores were closed. The reduced sidewalks and scaffolding everywhere makes it seem to passersby that the stores are closed.

Didn't the (MTA) or gov't pay these people who are suffering from this any money?

Only two of the pieces of legislation currently were passed. I'm not sure about earlier pieces of legislation. One is a tax abatement for all businesses and another is an economic grant. However, both of these were passed 6/22/09 - over two years after construction began - and is only of help to the businesses that are still relatively stable.

While I feel bad for 2nd ave shop owners and try to use them when I can...except for the chains (shakes fist - but I will support Taco Bell on 94th B))...a lot of this has been taken out of context and sensationalized. Of course sales are down! We're in a serious recession here. A more thoughtful piece would have shown that these guys' sales are down more than the average business, if that's the case. Since the writer didn't go that far, we can't tell.

I do believe in supporting them though. And screw you Starbucks for taking my neighborhood and catering to the yuppie contingent. May you and your $5 burnt bitter coffee burn some more in hell.

This place has been affected much more than the economy. Recently every surviving business had put up a poster saying how the governor, mayor, and representative did nothing to alleviate the situation.

I think it was proposed, but i'm not sure it was approved.

- A

See my response to Mark. You can see more information at http://www.thelaunchbox.blogspot.com and scroll down the right-hand sidebar.

Why are the businesses losing money? People can still visit them. Perhaps the businesses should advertise more and make their storefronts more inviting, despite the construction. If you make yourself available, people will show. If Second Avenue was near to me, I'd still shop there.

The stores have acted to make the storefronts more inviting. They have posters saying they're open, and they're also advertising their stores among the construction:

DSCF3849.jpg

This is one example where they post the store names outside the construction area to notify people they're still open.

This place has been affected much more than the economy. Recently every surviving business had put up a poster saying how the governor, mayor, and representative did nothing to alleviate the situation.

Of course they are. We've created a culture of entitlement and complaint and everyone loves to B****. But until I see support from statistics or hard numbers it's just more B****ing. Opinion pieces that do not provide HARD FACTS do not change my opinion on this. I feel for ALL "mom and pop shops" in general, even those on 2nd ave, I'm just saying it's a writer's job to do their real research in the context of current events before they write this kind of thing.

EVERYONE will tell you things are harder now than they were two years ago. That's nothing new. But is it worse relative to competition? That sort of analysis would mean something...

Just media drama designed to sell papers or promote the company...no solutions offered just blame the MTA and a project 80 years overdue and 80 years in the making which ironically will actually bring business to this area when all is said and done...

When the Second Ave Subway opens, the Lexington Ave Line would be relieved of overcrowding cars but at the same i'll lose it title as the highest rapid transit ridership in the USA.

That title all ready belongs to PATH red line, however GCT is the busiest station complex in the world.

If you look at world's busiest rapid transit by ridership, PATH alone is something like 15th even though it only has 13 stations.........

Evening peak periods on PATH equal nose in armpit crowding. I've let more PATH trains go then i've ever let a NYCT train go.

- A

Archived