R62A 1991

(5)

Trains run local in both directions between East 180 St and 3 Av

Rush Hours, 6:30 AM to 9:30 AM and 3:30 PM to 8 PM Mon to Fri, Aug 24 - Nov 13

Please allow additional travel time.

In addition:

(5) The last stop for some Nereid Av-bound trains is East 180 St

PM Rush Hours, 3:30 PM to 8 PM Mon to Fri, Aug 24 - Nov 13

To continue your trip, transfer to the next or Nereid Av-bound train at East 180 St.

Believe it or not, tomorrow is the last chance to get the Bronx Thru express, with an all day southbound express and the (2) Bronx Super Express as well. I'm assuming this is because of the switch repair at the E. 180th St station, because it's getting pretty extensive.

(5)

Trains run local in both directions between East 180 St and 3 Av

Rush Hours, 6:30 AM to 9:30 AM and 3:30 PM to 8 PM Mon to Fri, Aug 24 - Nov 13

Please allow additional travel time.

In addition:

(5) The last stop for some Nereid Av-bound trains is East 180 St

PM Rush Hours, 3:30 PM to 8 PM Mon to Fri, Aug 24 - Nov 13

To continue your trip, transfer to the next or Nereid Av-bound train at East 180 St.

Believe it or not, tomorrow is the last chance to get the Bronx Thru express, with an all day southbound express and the (2) Bronx Super Express as well. I'm assuming this is because of the switch repair at the E. 180th St station, because it's getting pretty extensive.

oh god! first the (:P in Brooklyn, now the <5>?

I think this work is going to be more extensive than that. It'll probably have sections of track completely out of service, like when they canceled the (D) Concourse EXP a few years ago (and made it unbearable with endless timers, mind you).

I'm thinking this is the removal of the old IRT style signals in the E180 St interlocking, thus rendering access to the express track unavailable.

I dunno if its that since I saw track workers north of prospect ave slowing trains down northbound

I think this work is going to be more extensive than that. It'll probably have sections of track completely out of service, like when they canceled the (D) Concourse EXP a few years ago (and made it unbearable with endless timers, mind you).

The lack of (D) Concourse Exp barely affected anyone. Honestly the slightest thing goes wrong and all (D)s end up running local anyway or if theres a Yankee Game.

I always felt they should have put an extra set of switches south of West Farms Sq in case the ones at E 180 were screwed up.

The lack of (D) Concourse Exp barely affected anyone. Honestly the slightest thing goes wrong and all (D)s end up running local anyway or if theres a Yankee Game.

I always felt they should have put an extra set of switches south of West Farms Sq in case the ones at E 180 were screwed up.

I can see that happening, since apparently the (D) Concourse EXP doesn't even last that long anyway (not to mention it's not even mentioned on the (D)'s schedule on the mta's site). They removed some switches in the middle of that section between E. 180th & 3rd Av-149th St a few years ago.

They removed the switches north of Freeman St on the (2)/(5) lines. When I asked for the reasoning behind what I considered a very dumb move I was told that the switches weren't used enough to justify maintaining them. Freeman St tower was also closed. Never mind that the tower and interlocking had been in use since the Second Ave El terminated and relayed there. Never mind that we used to have G.O.s where trains terminated there and relayed for southbound service. Because of their shortsighted strategy a major G.O. now would entail bus service from 3rd Ave or the Concourse to East 180th St instead of Freeman to East 180th St. More buses and a longer ride. More $$$ for O.T. and fuel. Real intelligent , huh?

They removed the switches north of Freeman St on the (2)/(5) lines. When I asked for the reasoning behind what I considered a very dumb move I was told that the switches weren't used enough to justify maintaining them. Freeman St tower was also closed. Never mind that the tower and interlocking had been in use since the Second Ave El terminated and relayed there. Never mind that we used to have G.O.s where trains terminated there and relayed for southbound service. Because of their shortsighted strategy a major G.O. now would entail bus service from 3rd Ave or the Concourse to East 180th St instead of Freeman to East 180th St. More buses and a longer ride. More $$$ for O.T. and fuel. Real intelligent , huh?

Free Buses are good for some riders within the Bronx though helps save on fares...

Archived