Triboro's CNG RTS's

dmouse

When I used to live in east elmhurst on 93rd st and 23 ave ( a few blocks north of Triboro Coach Corps depot) I would always see the buses deadheading

to and from. One bus that especially intrigued me was the 93 TMC RTS CNGs.

They were in great condition at that time (well most of them) and were fast loaders. I remeber when i would always get one on the Q72. I just loved listening to that Cummins L10G & ZF Ecomat 590.

Well I remeber them as great buses, and always will.

... Here are some questions I have about them-

1. everytime the driver hit the brakes they made that Whooting sound(kinda like an Owl),

Why?

2. Why did Triboro often clean out the tanks?(I often saw a few of these at the depot with the panels for the CNG tank opened)

3. Why were some primed in the rear by the AC?

4. When (MTA) bus took over why did they allow them to fall into bad shape

5. Why did they get retired early???

2051.jpg

3 - Triboro never did a good job at keeping a uniform paint scheme for its buses. Whenever an exterior panel was damaged, they would replace it with another one, and the replacement paneling often wasn't painted the right color -- sometimes, they wouldn't even paint it, exposing the primer.

3 - Triboro never did a good job at keeping a uniform paint scheme for its buses. Whenever an exterior panel was damaged, they would replace it with another one, and the replacement paneling often wasn't painted the right color -- sometimes, they wouldn't even paint it, exposing the primer.

that would explain the miss-matched battery door panels on some...

• 2 months later...

All CNGs give off that unique sound due to the turbo release as mentioned above, on the Cummins L10Gs they tended to sound more throaty, like the sound an owl or pidgeon would make. Detroit Diesel S50Gs give off a more airy, dry sound on the turbo release, as for the way I'm explaining them, I'm trying my best lol.

Example of a Detroit Diesel CNG:

As for why they were retired... They pretty much were getting old. Triboro coach was NEVER known for their bus maintenance, I remember in my childhood days spending time in Long Island City/Astoria/Elmhurst I'd see Triboro buses all over but they looked like they were about ready to fall apart! CNG tanks only last about 10-12 years before they begin deteriorating and it's costly to replace them (or so I've heard) so out they went! The Orion CNGs have only been around since 1999 or so and they've been nicely refurbished by MTA Bus for our use. You do NOT want to see what Triboro's Orions looked like prior to the takeover!!

When I used to live in east elmhurst on 93rd st and 23 ave ( a few blocks north of Triboro Coach Corps depot) I would always see the buses deadheading

to and from. One bus that especially intrigued me was the 93 TMC RTS CNGs.

They were in great condition at that time (well most of them) and were fast loaders. I remeber when i would always get one on the Q72. I just loved listening to that Cummins L10G & ZF Ecomat 590.

Well I remeber them as great buses, and always will.

... Here are some questions I have about them-

1. everytime the driver hit the brakes they made that Whooting sound(kinda like an Owl),

Why?

2. Why did Triboro often clean out the tanks?(I often saw a few of these at the depot with the panels for the CNG tank opened)

3. Why were some primed in the rear by the AC?

4. When (MTA) bus took over why did they allow them to fall into bad shape

5. Why did they get retired early???

2051.jpg

Man that pic brings me back to the days of east elmhurst.Triboro coach wasn`t awarded the best maintenance award(Personally that award goes to Queens Surface) but some were looking bad but their CNG`s weren`t bad.Now you guys talking about poor maintenance,I think that award is split between Jamaica bus lines and Green bus lines.:tdown:

Archived