Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Pu3rToRoCk8947

What can be a good signaling system for a 4x8 HO scale layout?

I am designing a 4 x 8 layout and i already have the tracks laid in place and a few trees and stations,not much worried about scenery yet but i am still undecided as to what type of signaling system to install.I am not too familiar with the types i know of position light signals,semaphore,and colored position light signals but i dont know what's recommendable for a small layout such as this.Anyone knows more about these types of signals and what can be realistic and practical for a short line railroad or freight railroad?

There's lots of ways to answer this question, but the "best" answer comes down to what type of layout it is -- that is to say, what aspects of prototype railroading are you modeling? You mentioned short line and freight railroad at the end of your post. Neither term is really all that descriptive. You could have a short line that hosts dozens of trains a day, or crosses numerous other companies' lines, and so its route is heavily signaled. And you can have a piece of a major freight hauler that is "dark territory" -- no signals at all.

If you could give us more specific details about your model railroad, its backstory, and how many and what kinds of trains you plan to run -- especially at the same time -- that would help us to help you.

Well i have decided to do a freight railroad and it is HO scale,the track diagram is called Morgan Valley Railroad and the time period is 1950's or 60's.It is only DC meaning it is capable of running 2 trains only,eventually whenever i decide to expand my layout larger i will utilize more diesel engines.I only currently have 2 Conrail B23/B30 diesel locomotives and a few boxcars.I dont want to create a too much of an urban setting,only a few warehouses and industries on the layout.Now does this layout really need signals?

might want to put a few on the switches to the warehouse sidings just for the realistic showing would think the one over one would be nice

I have the layout almost done and what kind of signals we are talking about here?

Dwarf?