History & Evolution of the Subway Map

Harry

Which style of subway map do you like the most?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of subway map do you like the most?

• 1920's to 1940's
    • 1950's to 1960's
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • Present

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The current map is ok, however i prefer Kick map, because it clarifies where a train will & wont stop easily at a glance. It is also slightly more physically accurate in terms of where the tracks actually are in relation to each other. I have both iTrans and kickmap on my iPhone, however i only use iTrans to look up subway alerts.

- A

I got kickmap lite. It's pretty good and is much more handy than to take out the map and look for a specific station. I'm glad it's up to date now reguarding the G. I'm just waiting for the update when the B becomes local on Brighton.

Do you remember the subway map that had a red border and one side showed subway service when the Manny B. was open and the other side showed subway service when the Manny B. was closed?

The subway map that showed the (:( (Q6) and (F) serving 21st Street-Queensbridge by day part (the (B) ran weekends for a time!) and showed the (G) extended to Jamaica-179th Street nights was neat.

Me too, didnt the 80s ones have that feature as well?

I voted for the 90s because I can't really remember the difference between the 80s and 90s maps

90s maps were more experimental. the 80s maps were more in the style of the early 90s maps but after the 1995 map the 90s maps started getting more creative, doing different things, and the line by line guides went away.

That was early 2000s.

The 63rd Street "yellow (S)" shuttle was not from the early 2000's. That shuttle was from the February 1998 map. That's when the 63rd Street "yellow (S)" shuttle was introduced. It ran from 21st Street-Queensbridge to 57th Street/7th Avenue. In April of 1998, the shuttle was extended to 34th Street-Herald Square station. The shuttle terminated at 34th Street-Herald Square on weekdays, and terminated in the express tracks. The shuttle also skipped 49th Street. This shuttle replaced the (;) & (Q6) trains on the 63rd Street Line. In May of 1999, the shuttle was discontinued when work for the 63rd Street Tunnel was completed, and the (:) & (Q6) returned to 21st Street-Queensbridge. The 63rd Street shuttle originally ran R32's.

Archived