History & Evolution of the Subway Map

Harry

Which style of subway map do you like the most?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of subway map do you like the most?

• 1920's to 1940's
    • 1950's to 1960's
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • Present

The 63rd Street "yellow (S)" shuttle was not from the early 2000's. That shuttle was from the February 1998 map.

Yeah, sorry. I was thinking about the Orange (S) that shuttled from Broadway Lafayette to 21st Street Queensbridge. I remember owning that map with the yellow (S) before...let me see if I can dig it up.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's alright, and my name is not Rene, it's Alex.

It always seems that no one has the fall of 1985 subway map...

I actually have one! But I don't know how I'll be able to scan it onto my computer...I may have to go to kinko's to do that...might as well wait until i have a fair collection of maps.

I actually have one! But I don't know how I'll be able to scan it onto my computer...I may have to go to kinko's to do that...might as well wait until i have a fair collection of maps.

You do it in pieces and bring the pieces together in photoshop, thats how I scanned and archived my map collection.

You do it in pieces and bring the pieces together in photoshop, thats how I scanned and archived my map collection.

Really? Doesn't it get tedious to do it piece by piece when you can go somewhere and do it all at once? Sure there's a price, but I'd rather have a clean scan of my maps. I think I may have all my historic maps scanned in the future anyway.

it takes a while but I know that Im taking great care to make sure the map doesnt get damaged and such while im doing it.

No problem, we all have our preferences. You do have to fold it a certain way to get all the parts in, and that's where it gets tedious.

I had to remove the lid to my scanner, and put it on the center of my desk and it was quite a job, took twice as long when i did my 79 map because i also scanned the other side

Wow, must have been real tedious...having to make sure it's aligned right along the edges and stuff. Care to share?

If you have the chance, can anyone post a map from 1995, with these changes.

(:) runs on West End and only between Pacific Street and Coney Island.

(D) runs between 205th Street Bronx and 34th Street Manhattan.

(S) Grand Street Shuttle

(Q) replacing (D) between 34th Street and Coney Island, replacing Brighton Local (D) service.

(Q6) not running.

If you have the chance, can anyone post a map from 1995, with these changes.

(B) runs on West End and only between Pacific Street and Coney Island.

(D) runs between 205th Street Bronx and 34th Street Manhattan.

(S) Grand Street Shuttle

(Q) replacing (D) between 34th Street and Coney Island, replacing Brighton Local (D) service.

(Q6) not running.

As you requested the 1995 version but I do not see the changes you mentioned.

1995_NYCT_Subway_Map.jpg

Because it would be on the other side of that map. (that map shows weekday hours except middays, when the bridge was open).

Then I would have to check if I scanned both sides which I don't think I did. I'll see if I can get it done this week. I have a mess of maps and I lost track of what I do and don't have. B)

Archived