History & Evolution of the Subway Map

Harry

Which style of subway map do you like the most?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of subway map do you like the most?

• 1920's to 1940's
    • 1950's to 1960's
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • Present

they should put these maps back on the subway map and have a seperate map for the railroads and bridges ... what yu think?

I definitely agree with you here. While it does make sense to have all the rail services together, they should be separated, subway and railroad.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they should put these maps back on the subway map and have a seperate map for the railroads and bridges ... what yu think?

I agree. On the reverse side, they could restore either the individual line maps or a checklist list of stations by line (like the 1974 map had). A separate map for the LIRR/MNRR could be viable: LIRR on one side and MNRR on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...

In my "Hart's Guide To New York City" (1,331 pages, 64 page map section), there are two subway maps.

One shows the 1964 subway map with a little color: I.R.T. lines are blue, B.M.T. lines are orange and IND. lines are red. The 1964-1965 World's Fair station is highlighted in red. Lines are identified by name. Stations are identified with a circle for local and double circle for express. A two page shows the system map with terminals then Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens borough maps show all stations.

On this 1964 subway map, Rockaway stations are identified by name: Rockaway Pk., Seaside, Playland, Holland; Gaston Ave., Straiton Ave., Frank Ave., Edgemere, Wavecrest and Far Rockaway. A second orange line from Chambers Street shows the Nassau(Loop) connection to the Manhattan Bridge. Sixth Avenue service only to 53rd Street. Lexington Avenue service to South Ferry. Jamaica service to 168th Street-Jamaica Terminal. Third Avenue and Myrtle Avenue Els running. 161st Street-Yankee Stadium is shown as River Avenue.

The other shows time points between key stations. These have thick orange lines with red numerals. B.M.T. Subway Lines with Sea Beach, West End, Brighton and 4th Avenue Lines and Myrtle and Jamaica, Broadway, Canarsie Lines; IND. Subway Lines with Manhattan, Bronx and Brooklyn Express and Queens Express and Brooklyn Local and I.R.T. Subway Lines with 7th Ave., 3rd Ave. and Flushing and Lexington Avenue. In 1964, it took 23 minutes to ride from 179th Street to Queens Plaza or 23 minutes to ride the Third Avenue El.

There also is a PATH map with times between stations. Newark Penn. Station, Journal Square, Hudson Terminal, Hoboken and 33rd St. are shown as express stations. Harrison, Grove St., Exchange Pl., Pavonia, Christopher St., 9th St., 14th St., and 23rd St. as local stations.

on the front cover it should show Grand St Shuttle, J terminating at Broad St, M terminating at Chambers, and N R Q through the montague street tunnel.

Well, this map I have is labeled "Revised Fall 1985" but it's missing that information you mentioned... Instead it says on the full map:

"Starting April 26, installation of new track on the Brighton Line and continuing reconstruction on the Manhattan Bridge will cause delays and diversions for the next six months."

This is an odd map, maybe this was the last map before the one you're looking for?

Well, this map I have is labeled "Revised Fall 1985" but it's missing that information you mentioned... Instead it says on the full map:

"Starting April 26, installation of new track on the Brighton Line and continuing reconstruction on the Manhattan Bridge will cause delays and diversions for the next six months."

This is an odd map, maybe this was the last map before the one you're looking for?

From subway.com.ru, heres a scan of the cover.

1995a-map-hr.jpg

ive been getting maps every since i was a kid, which spans the 80's & 90's and being younger was careless with them now i wanna get em back, is it even possible to get maps from both eras? then i can have maps showing discontinued lines like the (K)<Q> and (JFK)

If you could find someone willing enough to part with them it's very possible. The old maps I have are maps my dad used to have when he first came to the States.

ive been getting maps every since i was a kid, which spans the 80's & 90's and being younger was careless with them now i wanna get em back, is it even possible to get maps from both eras? then i can have maps showing discontinued lines like the (K)<Q> and (JFK)

You can get em off eBay.

From subway.com.ru, heres a scan of the cover.

1995a-map-hr.jpg

Looking at the map's face, (Q) trains ran via Lower Manhattan, and (M) trains didn't run into Brooklyn so as to cut on the clutter of trains running in the tunnel during rush hours. If the Manhattan Bridge repairs cause the bridge to close on the southern side, this pattern can most likely take place.

Nice! I would have never thought that the (2), (3), (4) and (5) all had different southern terminals then.

BTW, does anyone know if timetables for the old service patterns were available, like for the (K) and the <R>? If so, can anyone post them here?

Archived