Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
R33WF

Funnel cloud by the Bay Pkwy station on the (D)<M>

I still remember that "tornado" at CI that stranded all the subway lines and had hundreds of people waiting at Stillwell Av.

Yup that was a good formed funnel cloud. I guess it wasn't that bad of a low pressure center to make it reach the ground but that was definalty a tornado in the making. Matter of fact, it was probably a tornado in the sky. VERY unsafe for air traffic. If this was Teaxs or Kansas it would of grew a dust tube under it and make it a landspout. But there's no dust in Brooklyn so it just danced in the sky and blew over.

Yup that was a good formed funnel cloud. I guess it wasn't that bad of a low pressure center to make it reach the ground but that was definalty a tornado in the making. Matter of fact, it was probably a tornado in the sky. VERY unsafe for air traffic. If this was Teaxs or Kansas it would of grew a dust tube under it and make it a landspout. But there's no dust in Brooklyn so it just danced in the sky and blew over.

Tornado's have hit Brooklyn, most recently back in August of 2007. Thing happened about 10-15 blocks away form where I live.

Wicked freaky! :eek: :confused:

That looks more like a derecho or downdraft than anything tornadic, but it is not very common & indicative of very severe weather.

The shape of the terrain in the NY metro area is drastically altered by man-made structures, so it could have been related to that.

Not saying it is one (cuz it's obviously not), but often i'll see rotation in the vapor coming from condenser plants at the tops of buildings when there's a stiff breeze or severe weather bearing down on the area, most often downtown manhattan viewed from NJ at exchange place.

Great catch!!!!

- A

Wow Thats hot! Tho Dangerous to the people in Kings County. If it hits that can be a serious issue there. Nice pics of course!

I still remember that "tornado" at CI that stranded all the subway lines and had hundreds of people waiting at Stillwell Av.

It ripped through Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst, the flooding is what caused the subways' paralysis

Tornado's have hit Brooklyn, most recently back in August of 2007. Thing happened about 10-15 blocks away form where I live.

I know about the infamous EF2 tornado. It's just that particaular type of tornado is known as a Landspout. Very rare. Only 30% of tornadoes are those. The from from the ground up.

landspout250.jpg

The one that hit Brooklyn 2007 was a conventional Multi-Votex Tornado.

It happened at 4:15 yesterday,thats when the Tornado Warning came up on the channel 7 Developing Story for Kings County,thankfully it never touched down! If it did,Bay Pkwy station wouldnt exist right now! You can thank Hurricane Bill for yesterdays wild weather.

It happened at 4:15 yesterday,thats when the Tornado Warning came up on the channel 7 Developing Story for Kings County,thankfully it never touched down! If it did,Bay Pkwy station wouldnt exist right now! You can thank Hurricane Bill for yesterdays wild weather.

I took the photo at 4:14pm