Could the IND run 11-car trains nowadays?

keysersoze

According to the above, I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, stations on the (F) can use 11-car trains, except for those on the BMT Culver section.

Plus when the F ran 11 car trains, the F was entirely IND. In the early 50s it ran all the way to Church only. After 1954, it was truncated to 2nd Avenue, somtimes Broadway Laffayette or even 34th.

Plus when the F ran 11 car trains, the F was entirely IND. In the early 50s it ran all the way to Church only. After 1954, it was truncated to 2nd Avenue, somtimes Broadway Laffayette or even 34th.

Wait, are you saying that the (F) ran 11-car trains in the past???

Yep. The (E) and (F) lines in the early-1950's.

Interesting, that means that they had to pull that off by running singles then, which the Arnines and other cars running at that time were. If the R160s were like Staten Island's R44s, which for the most part are single cars but need each other to run (the "B" units and the non-cab end of "A" units have couplers), then maybe this could be pulled off. But it would probably be more problematic than beneficial, as the R160 fleet is larger than Staten Island's R44s. MUCH larger.

No BMT Southern Division station can platform 11-cars. Its bad enough that some BMT stations could barely platform a 10-car train. If you look at some parts of the BMT Southern Division, you can tell that the platforms and tunnels were modified to handle 75-foot cars.

Exactly how would the modification process of making sure a tunnel can handle longer cars work? Would the infrastructure be at risk of being torn down and rebuilt?

Can i bring up the Platform Extension idea again? It's not like it's not an option, in the near future if the (MTA) really wanted to do it, they can.

What do you want to do? Propose this to the MTA, who are in the toilet right now? They tried it out already, and it was found problematic to do this in the parts where the platforms aren't long enough. And with the incoming R160 order coming in, it wouldn't make sense to change the order around to make the cars singles, unless the MTA decided to give all R160s couplers.

Northbound platform - 745 feet (the ONLY platform in the entire system that can platform a 12-car train)

Southbound platform - 685 feet

Holy crap! That's amazing!...lol

But aren't some of the Rockaway stations really long, since it used to service the LIRR? And I also believe that there is a Sea Beach station/platform that is as long as 800 feet!

660' station list.

179th Street-663'

169th Street-627' due to added structures on the platform.

Parsons Blvd-660'

Sutphin-Hillside- under 660' due too ply woods structure

Van Wyck-661'

Kew Gardens-660'

75th Ave-

71st Ave-660'

Roosevelt Ave-668'

21st Street-Queensbridge-s/b+607' n/b=615'

Roosevelt Island-614'

Lex-63rd Street-s/b=615' n/b=622'

57th Street-615'

47th-50th Streets-?

42nd Street-660'

34th Street-660'+

23rd Street-657'

14th Street-660'

West 4th Street-660'

BWay-Laffyet-654'

2nd Ave-670'

Delancey Street-660'

East BWay-656'

York Street-660'

Jay Street-660'

Bergen Street-660'

Carroll Street-s/b=658' n/b=660'

Smith-9th Street-712'

4th Ave-710'

7th Ave-660'

15th Street-Prospect Park-662'

Fort Hamilton Pkwy-654'

Church Ave-658'

Many of the shorter platforms (under 660') are shorter due too added structures and railing added at the ends of platforms.

*This only covers the IND section of the line.

I posted this last time this issue of 11 car trains came up. Lets see if people actaually look at it this time.

What do you want to do? Propose this to the MTA, who are in the toilet right now? They tried it out already, and it was found problematic to do this in the parts where the platforms aren't long enough. And with the incoming R160 order coming in, it wouldn't make sense to change the order around to make the cars singles, unless the MTA decided to give all R160s couplers.

First off, watch the tone.

Second, if the (MTA) can survive the depression, the 1970s, and somehow get money to fund the G.O.H program, i'm sure they can do it again. And its not like i'm saying have it done all at once.

Third, i don't think adding couplers would be a problem. Singles aren't bad either and it would make sense. If the (MTA) can take cabs away from cars, they can add them. in this case, an R160M. Or purchase singles, the R160S. And as a reminder, THESE ARE IDEAS.

Second, if the (MTA) can survive the depression, the 1970s, and somehow get money to fund the G.O.H program, i'm sure they can do it again. And its not like i'm saying have it done all at once.

Third, i don't think adding couplers would be a problem. Singles aren't bad either and it would make sense. If the (MTA) can take cabs away from cars, they can add them. in this case, an R160M. Or purchase singles, the R160S. And as a reminder, THESE ARE IDEAS.

Hey, didn't mean to give off the wrong signal, but I was just saying that it would pose a problem to sections of the line where the platform is not long enough, which are the stations south of Church Avenue. I'm pretty sure that the R160s don't even have to be ordered as "singles", just give them couplers on both ends, similar to Staten Island's R44s.

34th Street-Herald Square is the longest IND station

34th St on the 6th Av line is long,but in terms of the longest in IND that would

have to go to Aqueduct N conduit Av.that part of the (A) line was used by

the LIRR before the mid 1950's when the TA took over the Rockaways.

Singles increase operating weight and require each car to have its own components rather than share them. The combination of those things 1) makes car orders more expensive 2) increases wear on track due to the heavier operating weight 3) increases maintenance costs and the time needed to service cars. For now it's safe to say we won't ever see singles ordered for the subway again (unless you're referring to work locomotives and cars for the (7):)) however the jury is still out on weather 4 and 5 car sets are more efficient than married pairs as far as I'm concerned.

Singles increase operating weight and require each car to have its own components rather than share them. The combination of those things 1) makes car orders more expensive 2) increases wear on track due to the heavier operating weight 3) increases maintenance costs and the time needed to service cars. For now it's safe to say we won't ever see singles ordered for the subway again (unless you're referring to work locomotives and cars for the (7):)) however the jury is still out on weather 4 and 5 car sets are more efficient than married pairs as far as I'm concerned.

That's why the R62/As and R68/As are the heaviest fleets of their divisions. When SubwayGuy stated wear on tracks and increased maintenance, I can directly refer to the Manhattan Bridge reconstruction as the damages/swaying were mostly caused by weight the R68/As. Nobody ever anticipated that 92,720 lb trains would cross the bridge.

34th St on the 6th Av line is long,but in terms of the longest in IND that would

have to go to Aqueduct N conduit Av.that part of the (A) line was used by

the LIRR before the mid 1950's when the TA took over the Rockaways.

But that wasn't built by the IND, it was taken over.

If ridership on the QB line will increase further, maybe only the (E) could run 11-car trains.

Or, weekdays only, all (F) trains are to terminate at Church Ave while the (G) and (V) are extended via the Culver Line to Coney Island.

In order for 11 cars to work, there must be enough cars to allow for such a service without causing car shortages on other lines. I'm fine with the (E), but I am not sure about lengthening the (F)'s trains and extending the (G) and (V) lines. You will have to put extra trains on the (G) and (V), which will mean sending fewer (F) trains. There will be more locals than expresses on the QBL. Not sure how it plays out, even if the QBL expresses are 11 cars. Besides, the new stations opened in 1989 could not fit 11 car trains. As shown in the information provided.

Archived