Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

Panhandling at its worst: Elmo causes trouble and horror in Times Sq.

Please read the story its so funny and yet scary feel free to comment.

What the hell Elmo, man? Surly man dressed as 'Sesame Street' character hassles Times Square tourists

BY Matt Lysiak and Leo Standora

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Saturday, August 22nd 2009

At least a rogue version of the lovable "Sesame Street" character hassling passersby outside Planet Hollywood in Times Square Friday night didn't.

The dirty and creepy character demanded money from people and, when he didn't get it, swore and jostled them.

"No picture. No picture. You have to tip Elmo. You have to tip Elmo or Elmo gets angry," the imposter shouted as he stuck a filthy red paw over a Texas tourist's camera lens.

"What the hell, Elmo? Keep your hands to yourself," shouted Victoria Vought, 47, pulling away.

Wide-eyed at the loud to-do, Vought's son, Dylan, 4, asked, "What's wrong with Elmo, Mommy?"

"That's not the real Elmo. That's a bad Elmo," she quickly explained.

The explanation stuck because any kid will tell you the real Elmo, a furry red monster with large white eyes and an orange nose, is very upbeat and giggles a lot. And he's clearly not grungy.

Friday night's cut-rate imitation nearly got his orange nose bloodied by Ken Ross, a 32-year-old insurance agent from New Mexico, after he grabbed at Ross' camera.

"It's just a picture. Don't be rude, and don't touch me," Ross warned, adding, "Somebody should rap you."

The phony's temper finally got the best of him when a Daily News reporter and photographer tried to find out who he was.

He angrily lunged at the photographer but came up empty and then apologized.

"Look man, Elmo needs to make a living, too," he said.

c)2009 NY Daily News, Inc.lstandora@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/08/22/2009-08-22_what_the_helmo_man_surly_man_dressed_as_sesame_street_character_hassles_times_sq.html#ixzz0Ovc3d4Np

Jerky behavior like this makes people toss out my NYC tour guide business cards thinking i'm going to scam them. :mad: :tdown:

- A

This has been going on for about 2 years now and they just figured to report on it now??? Metsfan is right though, my business is slow thanks to some of their shananagans. There is also a Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Spongebob along with that Elmo.

Evil Elmo! After years of taking abuse from generations of pants pissers he is fighting back, one dorky tourist at a time. This summer Elmo is pissed, Escape from NY two THE WRATH OF ELMO!

Evil Elmo! After years of taking abuse from generations of pants pissers he is fighting back, one dorky tourist at a time. This summer Elmo is pissed, Escape from NY two THE WRATH OF ELMO!

LMAO at that comment.:cool:

That is horrible. Elmo is not suppose to be grouchy. Grouchy belongs to Oscar the Grouch in TrashCan. Maybe that person with fake Elmo custome does not know how to act like Elmo.

None of Toy's "R" Us and FAO Schwarz dress in their character did not do bad thing.

This remind me of incident that someone dress in Superman was arrested in NYC. Does anyone remember?

That's simply hysterical.

This has been going on for about 2 years now and they just figured to report on it now??? Metsfan is right though, my business is slow thanks to some of their shananagans. There is also a Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Spongebob along with that Elmo.

Not good when it comes to hurting other businesses,something has to be done.So they have the whole Disney gang out there as well?.What's going on with these costumed crtitters,has anybody called the psyche ward yet?

yes sir.:):confused::eek:

Actually no. We have the same stuff in Hollywood which IINM is where it started. The LAPD is very good at keeping them from demanding tips from tourists. Most of the time they harass each other instead of tourists.

I would love to see Darth Vader go fisticuffs with Shrek then if that is the case.

Bum: You got any change, I want to buy some MD 20/20

Elmo: Screw you, I need the change for a King Cobra