Manhattan transfer. (yes, finally)

metsfan

hmhistory15.jpg

One of the only known surviving images of the transfer only PRR station & was taken a few days before it opened to the public. I have been actively looking for a photo of this station for 5 years.

When this picture was taken, PRR was the largest most wealthy company on earth, with the most employees by far. Imagine a publicly owned company able to run 3000+ miles of track & regular passenger & freight trains on every track mile.

This is the white elephant, the broken pottery leading to the ancient PRR days, when rail reigned supreme, the Titanic had not sunk yet, man had only first flown under power a few years earlier, the NYC subway was one line from city hall and main line electrification was a dream yet to be fully realized. Seeing this photograph opens for me a sort of doorway in my mind that connects me to those long forgotten times, harder, but simpler times.

You are looking at a picture of a ghost.

- A

WOW! great shot my friend. You always come up with great historical shots...

Thanks! This was the holy grail of PRR high iron for me. I literally spent 5 years looking for even one photo. This is the only actual photograph i've found online, there is another, colored image, but it's not a photograph, just a post card style work.

Next mission for PRR stuff: interior shots of broad street station & train shed (philadelphia), and track maps & related images for Exchange Place terminal station (jersey city).

I found a bunch of car float stuff, but i'll save that for another time.

- A

if you go to the frying pan on pier 66 on the west side there is a Lackawanna Caboose with pictures of carfloats and other railroad memorabilia inside it. It has old Lackawanna, Pennsylvania, and New York Central stuff. They did preserve some of the connecting rails but only upto the edge of the street.

if you go to the frying pan on pier 66 on the west side there is a Lackawanna Caboose with pictures of carfloats and other railroad memorabilia inside it. It has old Lackawanna, Pennsylvania, and New York Central stuff. They did preserve some of the connecting rails but only upto the edge of the street.

I'll look into that some time! :tup:

- A

Metsfan, You found a golden piece of railroad history!! Nice job!!!!!!:tup:

Thank you! :(

Since there is a lot more still out there, i will keep digging.

Examples of what i've all ready found are original plans, photos, and colored prints of the now utilitarian/modern journal square station, and a plan diagram of the 9th st bend with the initial efforts to build the 9th st astor place extension plainly visible.

The more i look into the H&M RR, the more i am amazed at the success and audacity of the planners and the company's & president. The PATH we know today is a far cry from the "Let the public be pleased" days of the early H&M.

They really were pioneers, tried things just to see if it could work. 100 years later i wonder what Mr. McAdoo would think of the system today.

I personally think he would be horrified & insulted that his masterpiece of a rapid transit system has been turned into a dull grimy restricted crowded people mover.

Just imagine the fully realized system, connecting CNJ, Erie, PRR, DL&W, NYC, and (NYCT), and firmly linking NJ with NY.

So again thank you & i will keep digging! B)

- A

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived