Ride the R40M's

R32 3838

Okay, I was Railfaning yesterday and I was hunting for R40M's on the (R), One came after 15 mintues of waiting.

Thruout the day I was on both the (R) and (V), I only saw 10 + 1 R40M's yesterday,

The Numbers are 4460(V),4484/5(V),4486/7(V),4510/11®,4540/41(V),4544/45®

That's all I saw yesterday.

I took a whole load of photo's of the R40M's and I will post them sometime in the middle of the week.

The R40M days are numberd, By september no later, The R40M's will be retired, as for the R42's, The retired ones at 207th st yard just got their fiberglass Bonnets removed so the R42 days are numbered as well.

The (R) is very hard to get a R40M, Yesrterday I got lucky.

Also 4530/31®, I saw it today and 4460 is on the (R), so 15 R40M's are still in service.

15 (!) down from last month's 40 or so? Wow, I didn't expect them to be gone so fast, but thanks for sharing this. I guess I'll have to catch an R40M next week for sure or the week after. At least 4460 is still around! :)

Do we know if the transit museum is getting R42s and R40Ms?

From what I heard, R42s 4572 and 4573, the cars used in The French Connection, will be preserved. Not sure of yet as what R40M cars will be saved for the museum, but I did hear that the 4460/4665 R40M/R42 mismatch pair may be saved as school cars.

Nope. Sadly, the (E) is 100% R160. :)

Sadly? Not really. Thankfully the (E) is finally using up to date equipment as a major line should be IMO. Catch a few on the (V) and (R) for awhile and let them retire. I'll say this, their style is the basis for the R42, R44, R46, R62 and R68, and maybe the LIRR M1. The slants and the corrected R40M led the NYCTA subways in a new direction in 1968 and that style lasted until the 2000s, where the NTT design has replaced it.

From what I heard, R42s 4572 and 4573, the cars used in The French Connection, will be preserved. Not sure of yet as what R40M cars will be saved for the museum, but I did hear that the 4460/4665 R40M/R42 mismatch pair may be saved as school cars.

R40M#'s 4450-51 are likely going to be saved for the museum.

Sadly? Not really. Thankfully the (E) is finally using up to date equipment as a major line should be IMO. Catch a few on the (V) and (R) for awhile and let them retire. I'll say this, their style is the basis for the R42, R44, R46, R62 and R68, and maybe the LIRR M1. The slants and the corrected R40M led the NYCTA subways in a new direction in 1968 and that style lasted until the 2000s, where the NTT design has replaced it.

Ever since the R160s came to the (E), it's become a hell hole for QB riders. The NTTs are not all that, and I'm not just saying this as a railfan because I just don't like them, there are a whole lot of other factors to it, so I'm saying all of this from a passenger's perspective. I've had chats with regular passengers in the past and they've expressed their distaste with the R160s. QB has high ridership out of the entire subway, maybe besides the East Side IRT, and among the complaints I've heard is that the passengers don't find the ride very tasteful. QB deserves higher priorities that what the NTTS have to offer (not even the LED screens work all the time, and the LEDs inside the car often end up freezing), and that is why I don't like the (E). But (E) riders don't know what they want. They are so hyped of getting new cars but how will they serve their purpose if they have so many bugs, and are not being maintained properly? Jamaica is not even taking care of their cars properly. When I rode the 9800 series R160 on its first day of service (9803-9812 was the consist), other railfans and myself observed the careless of Jamaica: open door panels, loose screws, dirty cars and Sharpie graffiti on the seats and windows. I can let the graffiti and the food-all-over-the-floor crap slide, but open door panels and loose screws??? Other railfans, biased or non-biased as they may be, will probably say the same thing: the R160 is really not all that. I really don't see why everyone's rushing to see the old trains go, and that is why I say that, yes, the (E) is sadly all-R160. Everyone needs to calm the heck down and stop being all excited every time they see an R160. It's pathetic.

SCHOOL CARS????? If anything, they need to be saved as museum cars. Think about it, that's the only set composed of 2 different car types. But before anybody says something like "but they're basically the same thing" look at it from my point of view

Ever since the R160s came to the (E), it's become a hell hole for QB riders. The NTTs are not all that, and I'm not just saying this as a railfan because I just don't like them, there are a whole lot of other factors to it, so I'm saying all of this from a passenger's perspective. I've had chats with regular passengers in the past and they've expressed their distaste with the R160s. QB has high ridership out of the entire subway, maybe besides the East Side IRT, and among the complaints I've heard is that the passengers don't find the ride very tasteful. QB deserves higher priorities that what the NTTS have to offer (not even the LED screens work all the time, and the LEDs inside the car often end up freezing), and that is why I don't like the (E). But (E) riders don't know what they want. They are so hyped of getting new cars but how will they serve their purpose if they have so many bugs, and are not being maintained properly? Jamaica is not even taking care of their cars properly. When I rode the 9800 series R160 on its first day of service (9803-9812 was the consist), other railfans and myself observed the careless of Jamaica: open door panels, loose screws, dirty cars and Sharpie graffiti on the seats and windows. I can let the graffiti and the food-all-over-the-floor crap slide, but open door panels and loose screws??? Other railfans, biased or non-biased as they may be, will probably say the same thing: the R160 is really not all that. I really don't see why everyone's rushing to see the old trains go, and that is why I say that, yes, the (E) is sadly all-R160. Everyone needs to calm the heck down and stop being all excited every time they see an R160. It's pathetic.

The R160s are OK. They better be as they are a huge order that run on the (E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(W) and (Z) lines. They aren't lemons at all. Everything's relative. Anyone remember Flxible NTT buses (of their time)? Talk about a disaster. They bounced around like pogo sticks. Terrible suspensions. The now reliable R46 trains that ran on the (F) in the late 1970s that had to be taken out of service due to cracked trucks. Or the numerous problems with the R68s when they were new? A bunch of freezing digital signs? Absolutely no big deal. The R160s are mechanically sound with a few bugs. The destination signs are an almost cosmetic problem. Jamaica yards problems are Jamaica yards problems, this is not an R160 deficiency but a Jamaica yard deficiency. So ANY equipment in Jamaica is subject to sub-par maintenance. The (E) as a major line had old equipment for over 17 years. It is high time it had up-to-date equipment, and it is the R160. There is NO reason why it should be running old SMEEs with the amount of R160s available now and should be all R160s (as is the (N)(M) and other lines that aren't as high volume). The R160 isn't my favorite car by a long shot and I've been critical of its design. But, for most passenger, it's clear announcements, bright lighting, relatively smooth and quiet ride, fine HVAC system, is a huge upgrade over the R32 and R40M/R42 trains and now similar and comparable to other high-volume lines running NTT trains. I think the superintendent did the right thing finally in Queens by putting the old SMEEs on the (V) and some on the (R) and taking them off the more vital high-ridership (E) and (F) lines. As for complaints, people will complain about anything. That's their nature. For the most part, very few passengers of any line would prefer to ride R40M/R42s or R32s over R160s on a regular basis. And it isn't only because they are newer. They are nicer. It's not like the R160s vs R68s, where I can see an argument for the R68 over the R160 and where some (Q) riders have made it known they prefer the R68 over the R160.

I'm not a fan of the seating on the 160s. But then again I wasn't a fan of the seating on the R40/R40Ms or anything else that had a bench arrangement of seating. This is why the R44s/R46s. I really feel like I'm a commuter train with those two. I can sit by the window facing the front or the rear of the train and just look out. The reason I'm not a fan of the bench seating is there are just a lot of inconsiderate people that will take up 2 spots on the bench and then refuse to move over so someone can sit down. I understand with the 44s/46s that people can place thier bags on the seat but thats much easier to deal with than someone who to takes up more than his fair share on the bench by spreading their legs.

SCHOOL CARS????? If anything, they need to be saved as museum cars. Think about it, that's the only set composed of 2 different car types. But before anybody says something like "but they're basically the same thing" look at it from my point of view

I said the same thing, but at least the pair won't get scrapped. ;)

From What I heard, They will go scrap, But I am not to sure, But I think 4460 would be the last R40M in service.

I'm not a fan of the seating on the 160s. But then again I wasn't a fan of the seating on the R40/R40Ms or anything else that had a bench arrangement of seating. This is why the R44s/R46s. I really feel like I'm a commuter train with those two. I can sit by the window facing the front or the rear of the train and just look out. The reason I'm not a fan of the bench seating is there are just a lot of inconsiderate people that will take up 2 spots on the bench and then refuse to move over so someone can sit down. I understand with the 44s/46s that people can place thier bags on the seat but thats much easier to deal with than someone who to takes up more than his fair share on the bench by spreading their legs.

I agree 100%, bench seating sucks over bucket seating since the newer trains don't have any good window views. However, the majority of NYC has a weight problem and cannot fit into these transversed bucket seats without a hassle. Other factors including unloading/idling problems such as those on the QBL, which forces the T/A to stop ordering 75 ft trains.

As for every operator and maintenance crew along the QBL/Jamaica yard, they suck at operating their trains. Due to the braking ratio (sorry for lack of better term) on the R160s, the R160As are suppose to brake for stop at 2 mph to allow for a smooth and non sqealing braking. Instead, all these mediocre operators slam for stopping at 7 mph and create brake sqeals even worse than those on the R40M/R42. If you ride the L or M, I'd guarantee that you'll get a smooth braking every time. The bottom line is that the QBL/Jamaica yard operators and crew have absolutely no care for their equipments.

I agree 100%, bench seating sucks over bucket seating since the newer trains don't have any good window views. However, the majority of NYC has a weight problem and cannot fit into these transversed bucket seats without a hassle. Other factors including unloading/idling problems such as those on the QBL, which forces the T/A to stop ordering 75 ft trains.

As for every operator and maintenance crew along the QBL/Jamaica yard, they suck at operating their trains. Due to the braking ratio (sorry for lack of better term) on the R160s, the R160As are suppose to brake for stop at 2 mph to allow for a smooth and non sqealing braking. Instead, all these mediocre operators slam for stopping at 7 mph and create brake sqeals even worse than those on the R40M/R42. If you ride the L or M, I'd guarantee that you'll get a smooth braking every time. The bottom line is that the QBL/Jamaica yard operators and crew have absolutely no care for their equipments.

Not even the crew, but the car maintainers at Jamaica! Several other people and I rode the 9800 series R160s on their first day of service and we found open door panels and loose screws.

Great post! I agree 100%!!!!!

That could be many factors...

1)Thats how they were trained to operate those things.

2)On the (E) & (F), theres more traffic than the (L) & (M) lines. I remeber reading though the T/O exam book and remeber reading that T/Os have to operate more aggressive (Like not crawl into stations, stop perfectly on the stop marker etc..) during rush hours than off peak. Theres a lot of trains on the QB express and if you operate slowly into stations you'd cause delays.

2)On the (E) & (F), theres more traffic than the (L) & (M) lines. I remeber reading though the T/O exam book and remeber reading that T/Os have to operate more aggressive (Like not crawl into stations, stop perfectly on the stop marker etc..) during rush hours than off peak. Theres a lot of trains on the QB express and if you operate slowly into stations you'd cause delays.

The main reason why QB seems to be operating so slowly right now is because of track work that even goes on during the rush hour. There's even a service advisory on the MTA's website that explains what's going on further. Even while the line services the same amount of trains per hour, it can get pretty hectic, especially when something's going on.

Archived