Ride the R40M's

R32 3838

Too bad those R160 Foamers wouldn't take advantage.

You could say that again. They get so hype every time an R160 is in sight. I'd understand this if it was 2006 when they first showed up, but it gets old after a while, and now it's annoying.

As for every operator and maintenance crew along the QBL/Jamaica yard, they suck at operating their trains. Due to the braking ratio (sorry for lack of better term) on the R160s, the R160As are suppose to brake for stop at 2 mph to allow for a smooth and non sqealing braking. Instead, all these mediocre operators slam for stopping at 7 mph and create brake sqeals even worse than those on the R40M/R42. If you ride the L or M, I'd guarantee that you'll get a smooth braking every time. The bottom line is that the QBL/Jamaica yard operators and crew have absolutely no care for their equipments.

That part of your post makes so little sense on so many levels at the same time it is hard to even address. While Jamaica Yd is undersized for the amount of equipment it handles and does not have the best maintenance record, that has nothing to do with the accusations you're hurling at operators along those lines.

That post demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge of how train brakes even work. I'm sorry but I'm just stating facts.

That part of your post makes so little sense on so many levels at the same time it is hard to even address. While Jamaica Yd is undersized for the amount of equipment it handles and does not have the best maintenance record, that has nothing to do with the accusations you're hurling at operators along those lines.

That post demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge of how train brakes even work. I'm sorry but I'm just stating facts.

I agree. If the T/Os didn't know what they were doing, they would be out of a job. Don't necessarily blame the crew, it's just that the trains aren't maintained properly.

Sorry if I mislead anyone. I was trying to refer to something about the brakes in another thread but failed to define it properly. As a regular rider of the QB express, I did not know what orders the GMs gave out to operate the line but felt that they could do better especially on the brakings.

Not even the crew, but the car maintainers at Jamaica! Several other people and I rode the 9800 series R160s on their first day of service and we found open door panels and loose screws.

Those can't be as bad the many frozen LEDs and FINDs on the R160As.

You could say that again. They get so hype every time an R160 is in sight. I'd understand this if it was 2006 when they first showed up, but it gets old after a while, and now it's annoying.

This is what you and others don't get. This is NOT about the R160. It's about finally having some modern equipment on a major line and not dealing with the old equipment anymore. I'm glad to see the R32, R40M/R42 off of the (E) and (F) and placed on the (V). I'm not a fan of R32s on the (A) line but I'm not an (A) rider. Just think (A) riders should have R160s as well, and if they don't work on a portion of the line, R68s. I'm no fan of putting very old equipment that's on its way to retirement on major high-volume lines.

On another note, I was in DUMBO yesterday and saw some R42s and R32s on the bridge on the rerouted (R) line.

Looks like Kawasaki was rushing... oh no! :eek:

It's like bad dealer's prep when you get a car. The train seemed to be rushed into service for some reason. But to be honest, loose screws are annoying and sloppy and questionable quality control. But no big deal.

True that, that's really nothing like cracked trucks.

So let's say that the train started falling apart during its run....

It may not be anything like cracked trucks, because it would be huger and a bigger lawsuit, passengers suing the MTA, the MTA suing Kawasaki and Alstom, and such.

This is what you and others don't get. This is NOT about the R160. It's about finally having some modern equipment on a major line and not dealing with the old equipment anymore. I'm glad to see the R32, R40M/R42 off of the (E) and (F) and placed on the (V). I'm not a fan of R32s on the (A) line but I'm not an (A) rider. Just think (A) riders should have R160s as well, and if they don't work on a portion of the line, R68s. I'm no fan of putting very old equipment that's on its way to retirement on major high-volume lines.

On another note, I was in DUMBO yesterday and saw some R42s and R32s on the bridge on the rerouted (R) line.

I would agree that the (A) should get R160s because it would do the passengers huge justice over the R44s over there, which SUCK. Besides, whether or not a line sees high volume or not doesn't mean they should get R160s, because if that was the factor, how come the (A) doesn't have them, which is known for utilizing 33 miles of track end-to-end???

Yep, Back to R40M's, Yesterday the only R40M that was on the (R) was 4460, But I am going to let all of you know, Ride those R40M's this week, This week may be their last. By the end of the month they want them gone, But We will wait and see.

a little off topic but they have retired the R42s before the R40Ms

If you're stating the retirement process, where the R42s met the barge first, then I believe that's correct. But there are still dozens of R42s left.

so is tomorrow its last day?

It's a high possibility. That's what makes it difficult to determine when to catch an R40M because it's going to be in a mixed consist with R42s most likely and you don't know if it'll be in the front, middle or back. And you also won't know if it'll be on the (R) or the (V). If anyone wants to hunt for a Straight, wait at Queens Plaza.

Recommended places to hunt for the R40s before they go:

Forest Hills

Queens Plaza

Lexington - 53rd (halfway point and island platform, but crowded)

Lexington - 59th (same as above but not the halfway point)

City Hall or Whitehall St.

59th St.

There are more, feel free to add if you have a suggestion.

Recommended places to hunt for the R40s before they go:

Forest Hills

Queens Plaza

Lexington - 53rd (halfway point and island platform, but crowded)

Lexington - 59th (same as above but not the halfway point)

City Hall or Whitehall St.

59th St.

There are more, feel free to add if you have a suggestion.

How About Roosevelt Avenue?

From what I heard, R42s 4572 and 4573, the cars used in The French Connection, will be preserved. Not sure of yet as what R40M cars will be saved for the museum, but I did hear that the 4460/4665 R40M/R42 mismatch pair may be saved as school cars.

As school cars? That's a shame B) Well if that's what it takes to save them, then fine. But I hope when their lives are done, the museum will take them back.

excatly!!!! Bench seating is soooooooooo inconvient. you always have to put your knees up on the seat to look and suburban seating allows to look out of the windows without spreading your legs. THAT'S WHY I LIKE R46 CARS THE BEST.

100% agree! I hate to touch other people and turn my head 270 degrees just to look out the window. R46s are the best on the QBL, but I prefer the R44s over them overall.

Bench seats >>> bucket seats.

Bucket seats you are forced into that tight space and just hope no one bigger than you tries to squeeze into the empty seat. And then there's the chance you might have to sit on the divider to get a seat while the other parts of the seats have been taken over by other people.

Bad as bench seats maybe, at least no one has to squeeze into a designated space.

Hopefully i can catch this before it gets retireed. For now people should be thinking about the retireed cars not R160, like 33rd St said. People are so into NTT and cant realize that cars are being retired! OTT FOREVER!!!

Archived