Former Reality Show Contestant accused of murdering ex-wife now a fugitive in Canada

Shortline Bus

Has Anyone follow the news in which the ex-husband of a star of a reality show star is accused of Murder and fled north of the border? Former contestant of the VH-1 show Megan Wants a Millionaire" and Suspect Ryan Jenkins former has fled to Canada. So some questions I ahve you can dicuss?

1)Has the fact that most reality shows do not do extensive background checks on contestants a factor in this sad situation?

2)Should CBS-TV/Viacom the owner of VH-1 be sued by the victims family?

3)Does CBS/Viacom and other cable news channels indirectly enjoy this story it for higher ratings?

4)With very little laws controlling the near monoply of the few handful of major US media companies controlling TV stations since deregulation in the late 1980's also a factor?

5)Does CBS-TV and other companies enjoy reality shows depite the 'risks' since it cheaper than producing an old school 'scprited' show?

Despite the fact many viewers in many polls in last 2-3 years want to see less reality shows, the stations still continue to produce dozens of new ones every season.

Feel free to comment/reactions as the story is below.:eek::confused:

Jenkins case raises reality TV concerns as Questions loom about casting practices

Last Updated: Saturday, August 22, 2009

CBC-TV staff writers and Associated Press wire reports.

The case of Ryan Alexander Jenkins, the Canadian fugitive charged with killing his ex-wife, is raising concerns about the casting practices of reality television.

In a Friday opinion piece in the New York Times, media reporter Brian Stelter says the allegations against Jenkins have "raised questions about the vetting of contestants after it emerged that he had a criminal history, one that 51 Minds said it did not know about when he was cast for "Megan Wants a Millionaire."

Jenkins, a 32-year-old Calgary investment banker, had relocated to Los Angeles to be a contestant on the VH1 reality show produced and owned by 51 Minds Entertainment. Megan completed production in March and, shortly after, Jenkins married model and promoter Jasmine Fiore in Las Vegas. The marriage was annulled two months later.

Megan premiered Aug. 2, and in the three episodes that subsequently aired Jenkins was billed as "the smooth operator" from Canada. BH-1 and sister network "MTV" are owned by Viacom, the parent company for CBS Television Network.

He went on to appear on another VH1 show, I Love Money 3, also produced by 51 Minds, which was set to air in January. On Aug. 14, Fiore's mutilated body was found in Orange County, Calif.

51 Minds told The Associated Press on Thursday that it commissions background checks on all contestants on its reality shows, but it didn't turn up Jenkins's troubled past. In 2005, Jenkins pleaded guilty in Calgary to assault on a former girlfriend.

"Obviously, if the company had been given a full picture of his background, he would never have been allowed on the show," 51 Minds said in a statement. It said it was taking steps to ensure this never happens again.

Megan Wants a Millionaire was suspended on Wednesday and cancelled on Saturday. On its website, VH1 said that "this is a tragic situation and our thoughts go out to the victim's family."

The future of I Love Money 3 remains unclear.

Andy Dehnart, editor of realityblurred.com, a website about reality television, told the New York Times that VH1's "abdication of responsibility is totally disingenuous."

He said VH1 "has built a brand on unstable, crazy people interacting on these idiotic and mindless dating shows, and can't pretend to not have anything to do with it."

Source: http://WWW.CBC.CA

c)2009 Canada Broadcasting Corp; and also The Associated Press.

PS has anyone seen this show "Megan Wants a Millionaire?": in which Mr. Jenkins is in huge trouble?confused: I lost trick of the tons of reality shows both on cable tv and 'free' tv.

Has Anyone follow the news in which the ex-husband of a star of a reality show star is accused of Murder and fled north of the border? Former contestant of the VH-1 show Megan Wants a Millionaire" and Suspect Ryan Jenkins former has fled to Canada. So some questions I ahve you can dicuss?

1)Has the fact that most reality shows do not do extensive background checks on contestants a factor in this sad situation?

3)Does CBS/Viacom and other cable news channels indirectly enjoy this story it for higher ratings?

4)With very little laws controlling the near monoply of the few handful of major US media companies controlling TV stations since deregulation in the late 1980's also a factor?

5)Does CBS-TV and other companies enjoy reality shows depite the 'risks' since it cheaper than producing an old school 'scprited' show?

Despite the fact many viewers in many polls in last 2-3 years want to see less reality shows, the stations still continue to produce dozens of new ones every season.

Feel free to comment/reactions as the story is below.:eek::confused:

Jenkins case raises reality TV concerns as Questions loom about casting practices

Last Updated: Saturday, August 22, 2009

CBC-TV staff writers and Associated Press wire reports.

The case of Ryan Alexander Jenkins, the Canadian fugitive charged with killing his ex-wife, is raising concerns about the casting practices of reality television.

In a Friday opinion piece in the New York Times, media reporter Brian Stelter says the allegations against Jenkins have "raised questions about the vetting of contestants after it emerged that he had a criminal history, one that 51 Minds said it did not know about when he was cast for "Megan Wants a Millionaire."

Jenkins, a 32-year-old Calgary investment banker, had relocated to Los Angeles to be a contestant on the VH1 reality show produced and owned by 51 Minds Entertainment. Megan completed production in March and, shortly after, Jenkins married model and promoter Jasmine Fiore in Las Vegas. The marriage was annulled two months later.

Megan premiered Aug. 2, and in the three episodes that subsequently aired Jenkins was billed as "the smooth operator" from Canada. BH-1 and sister network "MTV" are owned by Viacom, the parent company for CBS Television Network.

He went on to appear on another VH1 show, I Love Money 3, also produced by 51 Minds, which was set to air in January. On Aug. 14, Fiore's mutilated body was found in Orange County, Calif.

51 Minds told The Associated Press on Thursday that it commissions background checks on all contestants on its reality shows, but it didn't turn up Jenkins's troubled past. In 2005, Jenkins pleaded guilty in Calgary to assault on a former girlfriend.

"Obviously, if the company had been given a full picture of his background, he would never have been allowed on the show," 51 Minds said in a statement. It said it was taking steps to ensure this never happens again.

Megan Wants a Millionaire was suspended on Wednesday and cancelled on Saturday. On its website, VH1 said that "this is a tragic situation and our thoughts go out to the victim's family."

The future of I Love Money 3 remains unclear.

Andy Dehnart, editor of realityblurred.com, a website about reality television, told the New York Times that VH1's "abdication of responsibility is totally disingenuous."

He said VH1 "has built a brand on unstable, crazy people interacting on these idiotic and mindless dating shows, and can't pretend to not have anything to do with it."

Source: http://WWW.CBC.CA

c)2009 Canada Broadcasting Corp; and also The Associated Press.

I did not watch tonight(8/22/09) show but i would not be suprised he was featured. Maybe someone on the boards can confirm. I know he on both the FBI's and RCMP(Canada version of the FBI)top 10 most wanted fugitives.:)

I was just on the AMW site, and he was featured. Click here http://WWW.AMW.COM click on fugitives, and browse through fugitives last name. He has a mug shot!!!

So some questions I have you can discuss now that Mr Jenkins is dead?

Haha, so true, I was in a bad mood until I read that, thanks. He did the right thing as he wouldn't have survived in prison since white collar boys can't fight.

Nah he just saved the public money. Knowing "white collar" criminal history he would have gotten shipped off to a country club surrounded by a white picket fence with an 18 hole golf course and a professional chef working in the mess hall.

Funny no matter how much money people make the threat of getting their ass kicked still cares the snot out of them into doing some pretty damn stupid things...like killing themselves. Hell some rich boys have done it for far less "oh no i lost a lot of money i can't be poor i only got a million bucks left not 20" and BLAM.

I got no sympathy for these people none...his ex wife yes, but him no...

Q: What do you call 1 dead investment banker?

A: a good start

Here the update from Canada CBC-TV television.

Reality TV Fugitive Jenkins found dead in B.C. motel

Last Updated: Sunday, August 23, 2009

CBC-TV news wire services.

(TMZ/Associated Press)

Fugitive reality-TV star Ryan Jenkins has been found dead in an apparent suicide in a Hope, British Columbia motel, RCMP said Sunday.

The Calgary native faced murder charges in the death of his ex-wife, Jasmine Fiore, whose mutilated body was found in a Los Angeles dumpster last Saturday.

Earlie in the weekend, RCMP in British Columbia confirmed he was in Canada.

Police had a number of reported sightings of Jenkins that proved false, including a man taken off an Air Canada flight to Toronto from Vancouver on Friday night and another questioned aboard a Vancouver transit bus on the weekend. The sightings occured after Jenkins was featured on the US show "America's Most Wanted."

Fiore's body was found stuffed in a trash bin in a park southeast of Los Angeles. Her teeth and fingers had been removed, making identification difficult.

The former bikini model was identified through serial numbers on her breast implants. She was badly beaten and preliminary reports indicate she had been strangled.

The U.S. Marshals Service was offering a $25,000-US reward for information leading to Jenkins's capture.

Authorities believed Jenkins was in Canada after walking across the border into British Columbia.

C)2009 CBC-TV, Inc.

On slow news day i can't believe the coverage of the Jenkins sucide is getting. Today (8/24/09)On Ch.7 in NYC's "Good Morning America' they spent almost the first 1/2 hour to this case and ditto for NBC's "Today' Show as well.

Perfect sensationalism news story, fame, money, young attractive adults, and most important jealousy and sexual overtones.:(

Archived