can people sue you for recording/taking shots of them?

NYtransit

my bro told me its dangerous recording/taking of pics in the subway because as you guys know,there are people in the subway,and if you record/take shots of the subway,and there in the shot,isnt that called if invasion of privacy? and they can sue you right?

I think if the picture is for commercial use, they can sue. If you're just going to enjoy it in your own home, it's not illegal. But still, be mindful of taking pictures of people while transit fanning. A lot of people find it very uncomfortable.

When I was living in Normade Court Apartment and went to Philadelphia trip for first time via (MTA), PATH, (NJT), I change bet. (6) and (4) at 86th St, and when I took pic of crowded (4), lady on crowded train said, "Why ARE YOU TAKING PIC OF ME?

I said, "I'm taking pic of train, NOT PEOPLE."

Also, when I was recording new bus lane on 34th St from M34 eastbound from Hitachi camera passenger thought it was illegal, but B/O told her it's not illegal and told her it not terrorist.

If you are taking a picture of a train, a landmark or whatever and there are people in your way, that's their fault. However if you take a picture that has the person as the main subject, infringes upon the person's personal security or invades the person's privacy, without permission or consent from the person, the person has the right to sue you.

If you are taking a picture of a train, a landmark or whatever and there are people in your way, that's their fault. However if you take a picture that has the person as the main subject, infringes upon the person's personal security or invades the person's privacy, without permission or consent from the person, the person has the right to sue you.

This is a incorrect. As a amateur photographer that does street photography and candid photography of people, I've dug into the subject so I can defend myself if someone decides to confront me and/or calls the NYPD. As long as your subjects don't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" - meaning they're not somewhere they'd never expect a camera to be - you're on pretty solid ground. Even if you photograph them while they're on private property, you're in the clear - just make sure they're in plain view and you're not trespassing, of course, some parts of military installations and nuclear plants are off-limits for national security reasons. The problem comes if you intend to use your photographs for commercial purposes. You can't use a photograph of someone in a commercial context without explicit permission. The subject has a right to allow or disallow such use. If you proceed without explicit permission, you haven't committed a crime but the law does allow for a subject to collect substantial monetary judgements in civil court. Because of such liability issues, most publishers will not accept photography for print if a model release does not accompany the photo. (This does not apply to journalism or personal use in public places, of course). So snap away folks! ;)

This is a incorrect. As a amateur photographer that does street photography and candid photography of people, I've dug into the subject so I can defend myself if someone decides to confront me and/or calls the NYPD. As long as your subjects don't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" - meaning they're not somewhere they'd never expect a camera to be - you're on pretty solid ground. Even if you photograph them while they're on private property, you're in the clear - just make sure they're in plain view and you're not trespassing, of course, some parts of military installations and nuclear plants are off-limits for national security reasons. The problem comes if you intend to use your photographs for commercial purposes. You can't use a photograph of someone in a commercial context without explicit permission. The subject has a right to allow or disallow such use. If you proceed without explicit permission, you haven't committed a crime but the law does allow for a subject to collect substantial monetary judgements in civil court. Because of such liability issues, most publishers will not accept photography for print if a model release does not accompany the photo. (This does not apply to journalism or personal use in public places, of course). So snap away folks! ;)

True. I was referring to intentional photography, not like catching somebody randomly in your pic.

Archived