Amtrak Diesels at New Rochelle Towing Electrics

Fred G

I'd intended to make a short day of railfanning the New Haven line and thought I'd work from New Rochelle east back to New Haven. I also thought I might catch the NJT train again.

01+Amtrak+GP15+571+near+New+Rochelle.jpg

I thought the sight of GP15 571 was interesting but didn't connect it with anything.

03+Amtrak+GP15+571+at+New+Rochelle+2.jpg

I thought this was just a regular move.

04+Amtrak+P42+136+at+New+Rochelle.jpg

Things started looking odd seeing P42's show up.

05+Amtrak+P42+towing+AEM7+911+at+New+Rochelle.jpg

Ok, a crapped out AEM7 isn't an everyday thing, bit it does happen and we've seen this before. I guess it's easier to send up a diesel than to grab a spare AEM7 from New Haven.

After seeing this though, Amtrak personnel showed up and I'd gotten the message from them that this was going to be the norm for the rest of the day. A feeder cable was out and there was no juice in the line between x and y (I didn't obtain the limits of outage).

They pulled the train so it just cleared the station and waited.

08+AEM7+925.jpg

Train 195 showed up, a bit late but not as late as the previous train.

10+meeting+train+143.jpg

The idea was to couple train 195 to train 143 so 195 would get to NYP closer to on time, without having to wait for diesel power to pull it.

12+Of+course+Metro+North+has+to+show+up.jpg

They coupled the trains and Metro North worked their trains around Amtrak.

14+Train+143-195+heading+to+NYP.jpg

It was shortly after this that I posted to Subchat. Had I driven and not taken the train I would have attempted catching this train on the Hell Gate, assuming that they were being towed that far, or further. It's ok that I stayed put, as more trains showed up.

15+GP15+571+towing+train+160+to+NRO.jpg

Train 160

31+Train+99+heading+to+NYP.jpg

Train 99

35+Busy+place.jpg

It got pretty busy at times, here train 162 shows up while train 99 waits to head out.

40+Parting+shot.jpg

I'll leave same way I started, with a shot of Amtrak 571.

Here is the album of photos

Thanks for viewing.

Amazing! :eek::tup:

They need to stop forgetting to feed the cables i guess? :cool::)

925 needs a vacation! :confused:

The last time i saw an unhooked & seemingly unassigned amtrak work diesel was by newark airport, last summer. It just cruised on by on track A at about 25 mph.

- A

Nice shots Fred :tup::tup::tup:

Thanks, kaback9!

Amazing! :eek::tup:

They need to stop forgetting to feed the cables i guess? :cool::)

925 needs a vacation! :confused:

The last time i saw an unhooked & seemingly unassigned amtrak work diesel was by newark airport, last summer. It just cruised on by on track A at about 25 mph.

- A

LOL at the feeders. I thought same was going on when I rode the RFW, that it was just some lonesome dove out there.

I like the first Metro-North and Amtrak pic

Thanks Forest Glen

Slammin pics!

Thanks R32 B Train!

Hot shots Fred ;) Your a Pro!

Thanks Mark!

Excellent Pictures Fred.

Thanks emmanuel295.

Nice!

Got no report of MNR delays...

Shouldn't. MN's catenary system wasn't affected, just Amtrak's.

Excellent rare touches! Wow, both a HHP-8 and AEM7 breaking down on one day must've been a nightmare!

Slow down, ace :-) ; no locomotives broke down but rather the line feeding electricity to the Amtrak catenary was busted. The locos were fine, just had no juice to run on, so the diesels jumped in to tow them through the dead spot.

I should wented to see it on Saturday and I was on the Hudson line when this happen

Murphy's Law, to be sure.

Really amazing photos Fred, interesting stuff going on Amtrak.

Thanks! I think Amtrak did a great job. Those trains were coupled, brake tested and on their way in 10 minutes.

Archived