NYC Express Buses: What buses should be cut and which ones should be expanded?

Shortline Bus

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol @ LRG.... I don't think any of the Hylan/Richmond || Hylan/Fr. Capodanno routes should be touched.... so no need to worry... and I know how important that x1 is... believe me ;)

& Hudson, they're coming, bro... give me a few

Cool i be waiting. Also B35 got my PM on the recent changes made and more possibly on the way for the Bee Line #14 Peekskill-White Plains line? Feel free to comment in the Bee line thread(off topic) as well. Thanks

Oh, you (Hudson) know my stance on the x25...

let the snobs that disembark @ GCT coming off the Metro North, take the subway....

Anyway.....

-----------------------------------------

Queens:

QM4 - remain, however I think it should terminate w/ the Qm1 (fresh meadows branch)... There are people that take this to the last stop, and walk along HHE.... that's about a 5 minute extension, tops....

QM21 - gone... replaced w/ x63's that (directly) serve Rochdale...

If there's not enough MCI's @ QV, then the X63 route can be split w/ BP....

x32 - gone

x63 - expanded service, see QM21

Brooklyn

x29 - with the revamping along the Brighton, this route may become more important than what it currently is... so, remain....

>>>>> Bronx & SI to come, in a future post....

The QM4 should be a rush hour only route. What I don't understand is that it has lower ridership than the QM24 yet it runs 7 days a week.

I don't understand your X63/QM21 idea. It sounds good on paper, but it would involve the X63 making a circuitous route. The X63 would have to turn at Linden to Brewer and head down to 137 Avenue before heading to Farmers and back to Merrick. It would skip several of its stops in St. Albans. This is a bad idea.

Leave the X32 alone. A child who worked hard to pass the exam to get into Bronx Science shouldn't be denied the opportunity to attend that school simply because of a lack of transportation. I was accepted to Bronx Science but foolishly decided not to attend due to the long commute. To this day I regret that decision.

x29-eliminated. A slow and useless express route

BM4 - gone... gerritsen bch residents barely use this bus... the bulk of this route's ridership is along Ocean & Nostrand.... South of av. u, you're lucky if there's 5 ppl. on the thing....

I wouldn't agree with eliminating the BM4. I take that line as well as the BM3 all the time. I would however say that service should be reduced to operate every 30 minutes instead of every 15 minutes during the PM rush. I would also change the schedule so that it doesn't leave two minutes behind a 1 and a 3 who usually fill up and sometimes carry a standing passenger. while the 4 sits right behind them and only picks up about 20-25 passengers.

The QM4 should be a rush hour only route. What I don't understand is that it has lower ridership than the QM24 yet it runs 7 days a week.

I don't understand your X63/QM21 idea. It sounds good on paper, but it would involve the X63 making a circuitous route. The X63 would have to turn at Linden to Brewer and head down to 137 Avenue before heading to Farmers and back to Merrick. It would skip several of its stops in St. Albans. This is a bad idea.

Leave the X32 alone. A child who worked hard to pass the exam to get into Bronx Science shouldn't be denied the opportunity to attend that school simply because of a lack of transportation. I was accepted to Bronx Science but foolishly decided not to attend due to the long commute. To this day I regret that decision.

x29-eliminated. A slow and useless express route

- The QM4 does get more service than what is necessary, I'll side with that.... but I wouldn't say that it should only run during the rush....

- How could you think it sound good on paper, but not understand the idea... lol...

Anyway, you misconstrued what I said w/ that qm21/x63 idea... all I'm sayin is that some x63 runs would stop dead at Rochdale.... the rest would still go to Rosedale via the current routing.... x63's wont serve Rochdale, en route to Rosedale (that'll add far too much time to the run; I'm well aware of that)....

QM21's run too few & far between; and the service is not consistent.. at all....

- I wont beat a dead horse w/the x32... there's already another (similar) thread regarding that....

- Although slower than most express routes, the x29 isn't as useless as you continue to claim it is.... tell me some'n, when's the last time you been on the route? I think you're still stuck on that one/couple bad experience(s) w/ the 29 you may have had in the past...

but that's neither here, nor there...

I wouldn't agree with eliminating the BM4. I take that line as well as the BM3 all the time. I would however say that service should be reduced to operate every 30 minutes instead of every 15 minutes during the PM rush. I would also change the schedule so that it doesn't leave two minutes behind a 1 and a 3 who usually fill up and sometimes carry a standing passenger. while the 4 sits right behind them and only picks up about 20-25 passengers.

haha... I was waiting for someone to post something similar to your commute/story....

You take the BM3 (or the BM4) b/c it doubles your chance of catching a bus... I'm in that same category (and there are plenty of ppl like us that ride the BM buses)... Going home, I either take the x29, the BM1, or the BM2... I find that there are more unique riders that take the BM1, BM2, & the BM3.... most the ppl. that take the BM4 either get off along nostrand (where it's unique), or take the bus just b/c it'll get them to some similar point in Brooklyn... it's like a safety net, so to speak.....

Just so we're clear, I'm not talking about the personalities of riders when I say "unique".... What I mean when I say that, is, there are more ppl still on BM1's when it gets closer to Mill Basin, more ppl on BM2's closer to Canarsie, more ppl. on BM3's south of where the 1 & 4 turn off (Av K), than there are Gerritsen Bch. passengers on the BM4....

But I'm not oblivious to your point of view, though.

There's already the cheese bus service. It's doing fine. Plus many Queens kids are happy with the subway. Anyway, let's prevent this from becoming another off-topic meltdown.

Have anyone rode X26 when World Trade Center PATH Station was being rebuilt?

The first time I rode an express bus was the X1 route in 2007, so I'd have to say no. (I even remember the day: Thursday evening, December 13th!) I'm surprised that the timetable is still up for a defunct service.

When I took last 8:30 X25 bus departure at Grand Central, b/o wasn't sure, when he turn right at 2nd Av, people across the street was SCREAMING for bus, so B/O waited for them at M15 stop. Every seat was full.

Before X25 schedule change,

Monday, Only two people and B/O skip Chambers St.

Friday, I was only onon 3:20pm bus ride from BPC. Old B/O made bus stop mistake because he did not drive X25 for long time, he pulled into X90 stop, so he offered me free ride b/c of mistake, so he

When I took last 8:30 X25 bus departure at Grand Central, b/o wasn't sure, when he turn right at 2nd Av, people across the street was SCREAMING for bus, so B/O waited for them at M15 stop. Every seat was full.

Before X25 schedule change,

Monday, I was only on 3:50pm bus.

Friday, only I was on 3:20pm bus ride from BPC. Old B/O made bus stop mistake because he did not drive X25 for long time, he pulled into X90 stop, so he offered me free ride b/c of mistake. And Friday, and since

Lucky! You could do a lot with five bucks!

- The QM4 does get more service than what is necessary, I'll side with that.... but I wouldn't say that it should only run during the rush....

- How could you think it sound good on paper, but not understand the idea... lol...

Anyway, you misconstrued what I said w/ that qm21/x63 idea... all I'm sayin is that some x63 runs would stop dead at Rochdale.... the rest would still go to Rosedale via the current routing.... x63's wont serve Rochdale, en route to Rosedale (that'll add far too much time to the run; I'm well aware of that)....

QM21's run too few & far between; and the service is not consistent.. at all....

- I wont beat a dead horse w/the x32... there's already another (similar) thread regarding that....

- Although slower than most express routes, the x29 isn't as useless as you continue to claim it is.... tell me some'n, when's the last time you been on the route? I think you're still stuck on that one/couple bad experience(s) w/ the 29 you may have had in the past...

but that's neither here, nor there...

I have museum friend who replies on X63.

haha... I was waiting for someone to post something similar to your commute/story....

You take the BM3 (or the BM4) b/c it doubles your chance of catching a bus... I'm in that same category (and there are plenty of ppl like us that ride the BM buses)... Going home, I either take the x29, the BM1, or the BM2... I find that there are more unique riders that take the BM1, BM2, & the BM3.... most the ppl. that take the BM4 either get off along nostrand (where it's unique), or take the bus just b/c it'll get them to some similar point in Brooklyn... it's like a safety net, so to speak.....

Just so we're clear, I'm not talking about the personalities of riders when I say "unique".... What I mean when I say that, is, there are more ppl still on BM1's when it gets closer to Mill Basin, more ppl on BM2's closer to Canarsie, more ppl. on BM3's south of where the 1 & 4 turn off (Av K), than there are Gerritsen Bch. passengers on the BM4....

But I'm not oblivious to your point of view, though.

NYCBusfan how about this idea? the BM4 has ridership very similar to the BXM7a City Island Brnach. As a compromise imo the BM4 should operate as a weekday only peak direction route ie To Midtown appx. 530am-1130am and To Brooklyn/Gerristen appx. 1230pm-830pm. Middays the BM4 would operate every hour and peak hours every 20-30 minutes.

B35, makes a good point of ridership being dead on Saturdays on the BM4. Earlier this year on a Saturday in April on a nice but cool day i 'railfanned' and boarded a 2pm Brooklyn bound bus at 40th St/5th Ave. Was visiting a friend who lived near Brooklyn College.On that trip there was only 4 passengers total on that BM4 trip.

I say it again, there too many express bus routes/service citywide especially on the weekends. Some reform is needed.

NYCBusfan how about this idea? the BM4 has ridership very similar to the BXM7a City Island Brnach. As a compromise imo the BM4 should operate as a weekday only peak direction route ie To Midtown appx. 530am-1130am and To Brooklyn/Gerristen appx. 1230pm-830pm. Middays the BM4 would operate every hour and peak hours every 20-30 minutes.

B35, makes a good point of ridership being dead on Saturdays on the BM4. Earlier this year on a Saturday in April on a nice but cool day i 'railfanned' and boarded a 2pm Brooklyn bound bus at 40th St/5th Ave. Was visiting a friend who lived near Brooklyn College.On that trip there was only 4 passengers total on that BM4 trip.

I say it again, there too many express bus routes/service citywide especially on the weekends. Some reform is needed.

Yet, they wanted to eliminate the BxM7B with 20-40 passengers yet a weekend express bus has less than 12 passenger.

Okay my opinion on the Queens and Bronx express buses.

QM1: can it and have all the Glen Oaks buses serve Fresh Meadows (that adds all of 3 mins to the route)

Qm1a NST: leave it as is

QM1A G/O: okay now 1 of 2 things could be done. Either combine it with the QM4 (so the routing would be Jewel to1 64 then 73rd to the QM1A routing) or leave things the way they are but add Super Express that go straight to Manhattan after 73rd/188. If the QM1 is running down 188 and Union there's no need for 3 express bus routes on 5 min combined headways.

QM2/2A: leave it

QM3: I agree combine it with the X51

QM10/11: there has got to be a way to make those routings a little more streamlined

QM12: the last stop always seemed odd to me but its fine

QM15/23 leave it just can the 23 runs which are always empty.

Qm16/17: add some more service

QM18: never rode it

Qm21: ill go with B35

X63: its fine as is

X64: it has the lowest ridership of the Queens express IIRC (not counting the x32) but nothing can be done about that

X68: I don't fee like it should be making stops on Queens Blvd and they should add more stops on Hillside

Bxm1: they could stand to ease up on some of the runs. A super express, a bus via inwood and a bus via riverdale don't all need to leave 33rd st at the same time.

Bxm1/2: add some PM service via Riverdale Ave

Bxm3: same as the bxm1 ease up on the number of runs space them out more because there shouldn't be 3 buses in a row

Bxm4a: can it

Bxm4b leave it

Bxm6 I once had the idea of routing it via the bronx river, westchester av, rosedale av and the cross bronx to add more riders

Bxm7 24/7 service

Bxm7a/7b combine them during rush hours not every 7a goes to city island. The 7 replaces the 7a on weekends but the headwyas would need 2 be increased

Bxm9 leave it

Bxm10 could replace the bxm6 on weekends/nights

Bxm11 leave it

Bxm18 leave it

[/b]On that trip there was only 4 passengers total on that BM4 trip.

I had a trip on the BM4 from Avenue U & Gerritsen Avenue on a weekday rush hour going Manhattan bound, and on the trip, I was the only person on the bus the entire ride (allowing the operator to skip the downtown portion of the Manhattan route)

i would want to see the QM15, and QM16/17 see downtown service. maybe a run from lower manhattan up 6th ave to midtown or just a downtown only run.

the QM23 should be replaced with one QM15 via 8th ave trip. it would still serve Penn Sta and maybe even see more riders due to service south of Jamaica ave and maybe a few west midtown riders.

Combine the BxM7/7A/7B into just 2 routes. The BxM7 would serve Co-op and use the Pelham Bay route and make the few City Is trips the BxM5.

those would be the ones just off the top of my head

My view on this:

QM1/QM1A The 6th Ave QM1 should become peak hour, peak direction ONLY! 6-11 AM to Manhattan and 3-7 PM to Queens. All QM1A Glen Oaks buses operate via Fresh Meadows outside those hours. Longer service hours for the 3rd Ave and Wall St buses can be good as well.

QM2 Also leave it as is however there should be a slight increase of weekend QM2 service at certain hours as that tends to get heavy and a little more

QM3 I honestly think it should be combined with the X51 as I don't think it get's much ridership west of Sanford/Northern

QM4 Should be a weekday only route and cut midday service to every hour. Also should expand to Utopia Parkway/LIE as a lot of QM4 buses have to go down to Utopia to turnaround anyway.

QM10 Weekdays only 6 AM-11 AM to Manhattan and 2:45-6:45 PM to Queens.

QM11 Needs expanded service hours from 6-10 AM to Manhattan and 3-8 PM to Queens

QM12 Same as QM10 however the 3rd Ave Service should run 6:30-9:30 AM to Manhattan and 3 or 3:30-7 PM

QM15 Can be left as is or combined with the BM5 outside of rush hours.

QM16/QM17 Should run from 6 AM to 11 AM to Manhattan and 2-8 PM to Queens however can run the whole day if needed.

QM18 Leave as is however the only stop it should make along Queens Blvd west of 78th Ave should be 66th Road as I notice that there is a good amount of people getting on and off 66th Road. Can also be expanded to Federal Circle AirTrain as the fate of NYAS is pretty much in question

QM21 Should run the whole day both ways on weekdays. Weekend service can be looked into.

QM22 Should be gone, converted into a SBS route with local fares and more service, or expand to LGA with more service as the fate of NYAS is pretty much in question

QM23 Should be gone and that lone bus should be used as a QM15 bus

QM24 Should be a weekday only route with 8th Ave service the whole day with better service to 3rd Ave and Wall St. Weekend service can be looked into

X51 Needs better headway's in the PM hours.

X63 Service Hours can be expanded from 5:20-10:20 AM to Manhattan and 3:30-7:30 PM to Queens

X64 Leave as is

X68 Pretty much as is except 6-10 AM to Manhattan and 3-7 PM to Queens

All other express routes I post them when I got time!

I have museum friend who replies on X63.

You mean rides the x63....

cool, bro.

yep, far too many express bus runs, run empty... why not attempt to maximize the # of riders per run... not on the x1's level where people are standing (lol), but still... a PM run, heading into an outerboro with like 3 or 4 people on it is a waste (looking at the big picture).....

i would want to see the QM15, and QM16/17 see downtown service. maybe a run from lower manhattan up 6th ave to midtown or just a downtown only run.

the QM23 should be replaced with one QM15 via 8th ave trip. it would still serve Penn Sta and maybe even see more riders due to service south of Jamaica ave and maybe a few west midtown riders.

Combine the BxM7/7A/7B into just 2 routes. The BxM7 would serve Co-op and use the Pelham Bay route and make the few City Is trips the BxM5.

those would be the ones just off the top of my head

* about a downtown QM15/16/17... I think that's a bit much...

The QM15 picks up heavy along Woodhaven (if that weren't the case, that would be your best case for having one of those routes head to lwr manhattan), the QM16 terminal is another half-hour south of where the 15 ends, and the QM17 is another 40 mins south... an extension to lower manhattan adds another 15 mins. (at least).... you can do the math :cool:

* seems as if the consensus is to either totally get rid of the QM23, or turn the run(s) into QM15...

Hey B35, how's the SI and Bronx list coming?

after the Yankees won last night, I didn't feel like signing back on...

far as today (now that I'm home), I'll get right on it.... thanks for the reminder though... haha....

During the off peak hours the number of passengers changes every day. I take the 11:00 bus out of Brooklyn all the time. last week I took it and was the only one on the bus and today I took it and when I got on and there were already ten people on the bus.

* about a downtown QM15/16/17... I think that's a bit much...

The QM15 picks up heavy along Woodhaven (if that weren't the case, that would be your best case for having one of those routes head to lwr manhattan), the QM16 terminal is another half-hour south of where the 15 ends, and the QM17 is another 40 mins south... an extension to lower manhattan adds another 15 mins. (at least).... you can do the math :cool:

* seems as if the consensus is to either totally get rid of the QM23, or turn the run(s) into QM15...

after the Yankees won last night, I didn't feel like signing back on...

far as today (now that I'm home), I'll get right on it.... thanks for the reminder though... haha....

well the downtown trips from the rockaways could go via brooklyn. even if it goes via LIE/BQE, it would still be an easier commute than the subway. Ive lived in FAr rock 19 years. ive commuted on the QM17 to east midtown back in HS for around 2-3 years. Downtown service from Rockaway would have its loyal riders. and advantages vs. the subway

Archived