Protesting against 2nd Avenue Line subway

LandoftheLost

this past week , NY1 , CBS saying , ( something about

people going to protest against against the (MTA).

due to Second Avenue Subway line. the Second Avenue neighborhood

business are not doing well. due to consutrctuion on 2nd Avenue line.

so what will happen coming week. NYC people talking protesting

against the (NYCT) about 2nd Avenue subway line ?

I don't think they're protesting against the construction of the line. I think they're just protesting against the lack of funding and tax exemptions and the like being delivered to these businesses, to compensate for the decreased profits due to less people in the area.

It's a matter of future sight. Yes, the neighborhood may be temporarily vacated now due to construction... but when the Second Avenue Subway is complete, people will return and move in. In addition, the neighborhood has to compromise: if they want better subway access, they'll have to temporarily give up their businesses. It's unfortunate, but it's reality. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

They should be doing more to help the businesses, how about ads on the backs of metrocards or in trains or on busses?

- A

Where's the fun in that, when you can have a metrocard that touts up how green their system is compared to driving when you are waiting 30 minutes for a subway then boarding an overcrowded bus and seeing a stack of used Metrocards with this platitude next to a card scanner.

It's a matter of future sight. Yes, the neighborhood may be temporarily vacated now due to construction... but when the Second Avenue Subway is complete, people will return and move in. In addition, the neighborhood has to compromise: if they want better subway access, they'll have to temporarily give up their businesses. It's unfortunate, but it's reality. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

That's true. However, remember what happened with the Fulton transit hub. They destroyed all of those businesses and at the last minute decided to scale back the project

pardon me for going off topic, but how exactly did they scale back on the FSTH?

If i remember,one of the features of the FSTH was a glass dome that was gonna

be at the station house.that was taken off the table and since then,the hub

has been scaled back due to construction costs rising.

You can't please all of the people all of the time. I'm wondering why one hundred years ago, the subway was built so fast. There most likely was not as much opposition, or the builders saw the future sight of the usefulness of the system and didn't have these things to have to build around. Sorry, 2nd Av, we need this, and NOW.

Honestly, if the Great Depression didn't come about, our system would've been much more extensive than now. We'll be foaming on, or possibly be probably tired, of the Second Avenue Subway. There would've been several lines into Eastern Queens, a few into Southeast Brooklyn. Perhaps express buses would only run between Staten Island and Manhattan only.

But those are ifs. Now comes reality.

R62 1991 is right, considering the type of construction being implemented, it's not going to please anybody. But if you compare the technologies of what is being planned for the SAS and what was used for several decades to build our tunnels, this "new" technology includes bored tunnels, which is not as invasive as traditional cut and cover. I remember back a few years ago, when the recently opened Canada Line was under construction, Cambie Street was a mess from cut and cover. The business owners were mad as hell. FSTC pissed the crap out of many store owners on that block.

But I have to say this though, the workers should work more expediently. Get utility relocation done, have the machine in and cut through Manhattan. I know it's not easy, but if the construction drags out, it helps nobody. The businesses will continue to suffer and it won't help out with the overcrowding.

In the future, if the MTA does seek expansion. It should consider "priority based construction". Which lines are more prioritised? Which lines would really work out well, when completed? Which lines are urgently needed? The polits should think the same way. I raised several question marks when Bloomberg said he's extended the 7 one stop to Javits. It's not that much of an investment compared to the much needed SAS.

That is where the problem lies. Construction workers can only work for a x amount of hours a week. Labor laws has changed on how quick construction projects can go. This isn't 1904 when labor laws didn't even exist.

Can't there be different groups of workers to speed up the work, or will that mean more money the MTA have to shelve out? They're really not paying for all the work, they're receiving federal funds to do this.

Can't there be different groups of workers to speed up the work, or will that mean more money the MTA have to shelve out? They're really not paying for all the work, they're receiving federal funds to do this.

Another problem is too is that people living on or near the SAS construction zone will go nuts as well if work is done 24/7 including overnights and thus they get political officals involved.

TBH i think the (MTA) should pay the business that are affected with this issue. Since (MTA) is just going in and just pulling a tube into the ground. Yes there is aid for some, but not all.

And if people are still complaining after that AID maybe build an EL to get em more made cuz they must got issues.. See this is part of the (MTA)s and governments fault in the past. They kept moving up the date for the SAS and the more they delay, the worst it gets. Who knows if the (MTA) delays it again! They might as well add +SBS-BRT right now to the M15s corridor!

TBH i think the (MTA) should pay the business that are affected with this issue. Since (MTA) is just going in and just pulling a tube into the ground. Yes there is aid for some, but not all.

And if people are still complaining after that AID maybe build an EL to get em more made cuz they must got issues.. See this is part of the (MTA)s and governments fault in the past. They kept moving up the date for the SAS and the more they delay, the worst it gets. Who knows if the (MTA) delays it again! They might as well add +SBS-BRT right now to the M15s corridor!

You will never see another elevated line in NYC.

Archived