Protesting against 2nd Avenue Line subway

LandoftheLost

Not in Manhattan at least, if the MTA chooses to expand in the outer boroughs, there might be cases where the lines will be elevated. They will most likely use concrete viaducts as opposed to what we see today.

like the el structure on the (J) leading to the portal for archer ave.

like the el structure on the (J) leading to the portal for archer ave.

Hard to believe it I know that was 20 years ago...but nowadays any elevated expansion anywhere in the five boro's will be met with a lot of complaining and political backlash.

People have no spines any more. They are selfish and love to hear their own voices, and they love to complain to get others to fix things for them. They never do it themselves. That attitude has got to change because it has impeded American progress for a while now. Entitlement, selfishness, greed, and complaining have to go.

I cannot stand overcrowding on both Lex Av subway and M15 bus, well as many crosstown buses via Upper East Side.

Especially during Yankees games, they tries to squeeze into already crowded train, even thought MNRR opened Yankees-E. 153rd St, it still crowded.

With SAS, M15 SBS, it will make relief on Lex Av trains.

I cannot stand overcrowding on both Lex Av subway and M15 bus, well as many crosstown buses via Upper East Side.

Especially during Yankees games, they tries to squeeze into already crowded train, even thought MNRR opened Yankees-E. 153rd St, it still crowded.

With SAS, M15 SBS, it will make relief on Lex Av trains.

153rd Street was never a popular station since it opened.

It is popular with those from the suburbs though during Yankee Games, some people who used to drive now use MNR.

Don't get me wrong...the station serves its purposs, but it's not as utilized as much as the MTA had hoped for.

And bring down the prices of houses on the East Side...not such a bright idea if you've seen the residences on the East Side and how the people would react to more noise.

Oh please I live there and I hate the disgusting yuppies and rich old hag that live in this neighborhood. They'd protest the addition of a toys r us in the middle of third avenue even if it was only allowed to be open 2 hours a day.

but more starbucks and expensive restaurants and "cafes" for the yuppies to hang out and try and impress others? done. more duane reads for the old hags to grocery shop? you got it.

actual progress in the neighborhood and anything for the real people that live here? fugheddaboudit

Oh please I live there and I hate the disgusting yuppies and rich old hag that live in this neighborhood. They'd protest the addition of a toys r us in the middle of third avenue even if it was only allowed to be open 2 hours a day.

but more starbucks and expensive restaurants and "cafes" for the yuppies to hang out and try and impress others? done. more duane reads for the old hags to grocery shop? you got it.

actual progress in the neighborhood and anything for the real people that live here? fugheddaboudit

This is why I love the work of Robert Moses, no matter who hated his work or how loud they cried, it happened. To bad he was not a fan of transit because the whole second system and then some would have been built. The whole East Side needs to be told to shut the f**k up.

This is why I love the work of Robert Moses, no matter who hated his work or how loud they cried, it happened. To bad he was not a fan of transit because the whole second system and then some would have been built. The whole East Side needs to be told to shut the f**k up.

HEY...

...except for me ;)

HEY...

...except for me ;)

Well, I guess you can keep on going as usual (productive member of socity) The rest of them can shove it... and so can all the others who "yell not in my backyard". The subway needs to expand and some asshats opinion should not block it.

I moved out of that area in 2005, seems I left at a good time. I don't remember it being that 'bad'.

It's gotten worse over the last couple years, but I can't tell if that's it actually getting worse or me just being more aware of it. The worst of the neighborhood is out between 7 and 10 am in the morning, and 9pm on during Thurs/Fri/Sat.

During that first time you will see yuppies drinking coffee, rushing off to work all in a hurry and a huff and a puff, and being rude to all around them, and old people getting ready to do their grocery shopping and getting in the way of all the yuppies.

During that second time you see all the miserable single yuppie bimbo's who can't get a man because they are snobs, or every time they have a chance they feel "threatened" and lead the guy on then do nothing, or because they can't hold their liquor, or because they are annoying as hell, or because when they meet a guy the first thing they say is how they want to travel all over the world (guy thinks: AAHHH MONEY DRAIN!!!). Anyway they all go out to the local bars and get drunk only they don't know how to handle their alcohol so they wind up stumbling all over street corners, screaming into their phones, crying when they can't find their friends, and throwing up in cabs. Meanwhile all the guys up here are wheeler dealer rich boy types who just flaunt their money and think buying these pathetic broads drinks is a way to go. It's a pretty darn pathetic state of affairs up here these days...

and NONE of them want anything built near them...forget NIMBY its BANA (build absolutely nothing anywhere)

It's gotten worse over the last couple years, but I can't tell if that's it actually getting worse or me just being more aware of it. The worst of the neighborhood is out between 7 and 10 am in the morning, and 9pm on during Thurs/Fri/Sat.

During that first time you will see yuppies drinking coffee, rushing off to work all in a hurry and a huff and a puff, and being rude to all around them, and old people getting ready to do their grocery shopping and getting in the way of all the yuppies.

During that second time you see all the miserable single yuppie bimbo's who can't get a man because they are snobs, or every time they have a chance they feel "threatened" and lead the guy on then do nothing, or because they can't hold their liquor, or because they are annoying as hell, or because when they meet a guy the first thing they say is how they want to travel all over the world (guy things: AAHHH MONEY DRAIN!!!). Anyway they all go out to the local bars and get drunk only they don't know how to handle their alcohol so they wind up stumbling all over street corners, screaming into their phones, crying when they can't find their friends, and throwing up in cabs. It's a pretty darn pathetic state of affairs up here these days...

One thing's for sure, I went back to 86th St one day and it was the first time I got off the 4/5 at that station since I moved out and the cameras everywhere and the whole neighborhood was no longer the same. More condos built etc. It's not the same place I used to know.

Well, I guess you can keep on going as usual (productive member of socity) The rest of them can shove it... and so can all the others who "yell not in my backyard". The subway needs to expand and some asshats opinion should not block it.

If the government gives me decent compensation for my house and can find a suitable location to move to, I'd take it.

I can understand to some extent why people don't want their properties damaged or devalued. But then again it becomes too extreme and sometimes you have to tell them to shut their traps and let progress happen.

One thing's for sure, I went back to 86th St one day and it was the first time I got off the 4/5 at that station since I moved out and the cameras everywhere and the whole neighborhood was no longer the same. More condos built etc. It's not the same place I used to know.

Yes they love to knock down the old 4 and 5 story buildings which were once a staple of this neighborhood. Even the 6-7 story brick apartment buildings that were a staple of late 60s and early 70s construction are starting to go. it's all about high rises and lots of ugly corporate looking mostly glass buildings.

Second avenue and 86th has changed a lot too. there is a great German restaurant there called the Heidelberg which is a good time but it has gotten priced out and it costs a lot to go there now because of skyrocketing rent and now eveyrthing around it has practically come down. A pizza place, a cold stone ice cream, a furniture store, and a restaurant, and two apartment buildings, all gone. Meanwhile the only thing that has come in to replace any of that is a bar/club with loud music filled with ugly girls, guys that take going to the gym too seriously, and people who love to smoke on the sidewalk. The rest hasn't been filled in. It really sucks what they've done to the neighborhood because it had its root in working class German families back in the day but now it's getting geared up to be "midtown lite" and filled with the crooks that spend their working days sitting in offices chasing paper profits by selling intangible things

I hear ya, that's what made that place great. It was just another neighborhood - quiet and peaceful and a few bars. But I can imagine the area has turned into 'sex and the city' and for all the wrong reasons. I'd like my quiet neighborhood over chic trash anyday.

I now know that I don't regret moving out at all [though it wasn't because of this, but mainly since my parents were no longer renting out the house in Brooklyn and decided it was time to fix it up so we can live in it than to rent it out and pay the apartment rent]. Basically cut out the middle man ;)

Archived