Arrows & Silverliners

BMT4Life

Question for the NJT and SEPTA experts. Do these two agencies ever share these two type of MU's? They look very similar. They also look like they can run on either trackage.

I always see Amtrak borrowing other equipment. Metro-North leases cars and stations to NJ Transit.

They are identical and they do share voltage and trackage. The difference between them is brakes. The Arrows travel at higher speeds so they require brakes that normally push-pull trains would have. Septa have brake more like a subway train because they travel at much lower speeds and go though many heavy populated areas and grade crossings. Another difference, they were built at different times. Septa being older, their trains have no center door because Septa had just a few stations with high platforms at the time of manufacturing. Still till this day Septa have a unhealthy number of low-level platform stations. Lastly, NJ Transit ordered more married pairs because of ridership along the NEC. Septa have more singles because they don't have a equal amount of ridership compared to NJ Transit. They do share the same design and both were build by GE and a small about by Budd.

Damn sorry for the long post. Hope this answers your question.

Question for the NJT and SEPTA experts. Do these two agencies ever share these two type of MU's? They look very similar. They also look like they can run on either trackage.

I always see Amtrak borrowing other equipment. Metro-North leases cars and stations to NJ Transit.

I don't think theres really a need for NJT and SEPTA to share equipment unless of a serious emergency and maybe an Arrow set might have to travel further south of Trenton to Philly.

As for the NJT and MNRR deal, NJT just runs it for MNRR since the west of the Husdon line is offset from the MNRR mainline so NJT just runs it and take care of the equipment in Hoboken.

I don't think theres really a need for NJT and SEPTA to share equipment unless of a serious emergency and maybe an Arrow set might have to travel further south of Trenton to Philly.

As for the NJT and MNRR deal, NJT just runs it for MNRR since the west of the Husdon line is offset from the MNRR mainline so NJT just runs it and take care of the equipment in Hoboken.

The NJ Transit Metro-North Pool Agreement is more of a power play in my opinion. I say that because once the NJ Transit routes leave NJ the track are automatically owned by the state that the track is in which in this case of course is Metro-North. To show that NJ Transit and Metro-North share the line to Port Jervis and Suffern they share the locomotives and passenger cars.

That's just my opinion of course.

Eric

The NJ Transit Metro-North Pool Agreement is more of a power play in my opinion. I say that because once the NJ Transit routes leave NJ the track are automatically owned by the state that the track is in which in this case of course is Metro-North. To show that NJ Transit and Metro-North share the line to Port Jervis and Suffern they share the locomotives and passenger cars.

That's just my opinion of course.

Eric

Actually, thats another point about the NJT/MNRR deal I forgot to mention. You're totally right. And the thing about the equipment is I guessed the MTA paid NJT to add to the order when NJT has to order so that NJT don't have to handle more various types of cars at Hoboken so thats why you see some a few Comet Vs with "MTA Metro North" on them.

Archived