R160A/R160B Question

I think there are some here who like the old stuff and some here who like the new stuff and thats fine but there are way too many people who sit around dwelling about who likes what, and "fight to defend the honor" of their favorite car when someone does not like it. who gives a shit? At the end of the day it's just assembled metal right? look i dont know how all of you got interested in transit, trains in particular, but these are not buses where there is nothing to report but equipment failing inspection or moving around. there is a LOT more to the system, every day there is something going on - an interesting story from down under or there are actual things to learn. and by actual things i mean track configurations, signal aspects, car maintenance, car operations, actual RTO operations, "how stuff is done" and oh yeah there's all the history, and i don't mean history like dates and more car moves, i mean history like all of the lines, the plans behind it, the architecture of stations, and why things were built where they are and designed the way they are. all that stuff is actually interesting and can trigger a lot of intelligent discussion, unlike car moves, future car speculation, arguing about which car you "like" better, or the way that future car designs that are presently unfunded will look. and what the hell does arguing about car moves do anyway except make you look like a wanna be know it all jerk? even if you "know" exactly where everthing will go, so what? in six months it'll go somewhere else and you'll have to scramble to stay in the know so what's the point. if you don't have a source, don't bother with the "i think it will go here" or "it makes sense for those to go there".

A year ago this forum was FILLED with intelligent discussion, now i think there's too much of the bullshit that makes straphangers the worst place on earth. look, the next time someone insults your "favorite" car and you get ready to go defend it, take a step back, call your girl or rub one out if you have to but just forget about it. It's not worth getting into and the rest of us don't want to read this same old "new school vs. old school" crap over and over again. Yeah, the SMEEs are going. Yeah, they had a nice run. Yeah, the new techs are coming in. Yeah, they'll be here for 30-40 more years. We all know that.

This place has a lot of very helpful employees on here. Did any of you ever notice that? That's rare for a place because given the behavior of some of the "railfans" out there it's no wonder a lot of employees try and steer clear of the foam line out there. And yet you get people bashing operators because of "squeaky breaks" and others thinking trains will fall apart because of a few loose door pocket screws blaming maintenance crews (note: a couple car inspectors have posted here in the past couple years). stick to what you know and cut the BS fighting. The rest of us are sick of seeing the same ridiculous arguments dredged up every six months or so. You are all adults or close to it and it's time to start acting like them instead of like bigger versions of the little kid in Vinster's transit museum video.

Now where's my goddam thank you button. :P

I think there are some here who like the old stuff and some here who like the new stuff and thats fine but there are way too many people who sit around dwelling about who likes what, and "fight to defend the honor" of their favorite car when someone does not like it. who gives a shit? At the end of the day it's just assembled metal right? look i dont know how all of you got interested in transit, trains in particular, but these are not buses where there is nothing to report is shit failing inspection or moving around. there is a LOT more to the system, every day there is something going on - an interesting story from down under or there are actual things to learn. and by actual things i mean track configurations, signal aspects, car maintenance, car operations, actual RTO operations, "how stuff is done" and oh yeah there's all the history, and i don't mean history like dates and more car moves, i mean history like all of the lines, the plans behind it, the architecture of stations, and why things were built where they are and designed the way they are. all that stuff is actually interesting and can trigger a lot of intelligent discussion, unlike car moves, future car speculation, arguing about which car you "like" better, or the way that future car designs that are presently unfunded will look.

A year ago this forum was FILLED with intelligent discussion, now i think there's too much of the bullshit that makes straphangers the worst place on earth. look, the next time someone insults your "favorite" car and you get ready to go defend it, take a step back, call your girl or rub one out if you have to but just forget about it. It's not worth getting into and the rest of us don't want to read this same old "new school vs. old school" crap over and over again. Yeah, the SMEEs are going. Yeah, they had a nice run. Yeah, the new techs are coming in. Yeah, they'll be here for 30-40 more years. We all know that.

This place has a lot of very helpful employees on here. Did any of you ever notice that? That's rare for a place because given the behavior of some of the "railfans" out there it's no wonder a lot of employees try and steer clear of the foam line out there. And yet you get people bashing operators because of "squeaky breaks" and others thinking trains will fall apart because of a few loose door pocket screws blaming maintenance crews (note: a couple car inspectors have posted here in the past couple years). stick to what you know and cut the BS fighting. The rest of us are sick of seeing the same ridiculous arguments dredged up every six months or so. You are all adults and it's time to start acting like them instead of like bigger versions of the little kid in Vinster's transit museum video.

Now where's my goddam thank you button. :P

*Clicks the imaginary thank button* ;)

Totally agreed, although R32 3838 may have been a bit too 'harsh', I do agree about: "what's the big deal is about where the R160's will go to". They'll come when they come. The system will be all boring and uniformed when the older SMEE's are gone.

Also there should be a sticky where all R160 discusions goes to. Even over at 'other places' I still see R160 threads. Who cares? there's more to life than where/when the new arrivals are coming.

Here's the thing: I would understand people getting hype over the R160s when they first rolled into passenger service in 2006. That I can understand because we've never seen them before, and it would be extreme luck to catch one. My dad and I caught an R142A on the (6) when it first came into service in 2000, and even caught the R142 (2) heading home. I was 8 at the time, so the happy-go-lucky person i would be would be really hype to see them and ride them if I had a chance because they were relatively new. After a year or so passed, it got old and I wasn't excited about them anymore because the old cars were slowly going. We forget to appreciate what we have now because once they're gone, they'll be gone for good. That is why I waited for an hour on the Slants' last day of service just to catch that train. i could have been doing other things. I technically had to be home at 7:30 that evening. No, I caught that train and showed it how much appreciation it withholds and deserves because it has been through so much that the newer cars haven't and probably never ever will, and even though I had to end my ride short at my home station and couldn't ride it all the way to Far Rockaway, I will never forget the fact that several other railfans and I went down in history for being on the last R40 Slants. I'd understand for those who couldn't make it were busy, but I bet you some were busy riding the R160s because as much advanced technology as they may have over the older equipment, the older equipment have beaten them and will always beat them by a longshot in so many categories, such as the railfan window, their appeal to riders because the seats on the R160s are not as great at the TA had expected (eve regular passengers say this), and most of all, their variety in design. What good is a subway car if they all look alike???

So please, don't make a big deal of the newer equipment. They're roughly three years old now, so we need to start acting like the young adults or full adults that we are and stop jumping up and down fifty billion times in excitement like we've never seen them before like we're five years old.

Here's the thing: I would understand people getting hype over the R160s when they first rolled into passenger service in 2006. That I can understand because we've never seen them before, and it would be extreme luck to catch one. My dad and I caught an R142A on the (6) when it first came into service in 2000, and even caught the R142 (2) heading home. I was 8 at the time, so the happy-go-lucky person i would be would be really hype to see them and ride them if I had a chance because they were relatively new. After a year or so passed, it got old and I wasn't excited about them anymore because the old cars were slowly going.

So please, don't make a big deal of the newer equipment. They're roughly three years old now, so we need to start acting like the young adults or full adults that we are and stop jumping up and down fifty billion times in excitement like we've never seen them before like we're five years old.

That's the perspective of an 8 year old. A 10 year old train is still fairly new and still may be nice to ride on. The R160 is similar to the R143 but the R143 is on the (L) only, so it isn't a car that many IND/BMT riders would ride aboard. Some R160s are newish to the line, the (E) only has been running them for 8 plus months, the (F) an even shorter time. But that doesn't matter. When I get the (2) vs. the (3) to go to Park Slope, the (2) feels like the new train. When something newer comes along, like the R188, it'll feel older. The (3) still doesn't feel old, in fact, it still feels like a fairly young train.

My feeling about the old trains is let them go while they are still in decent shape. The slants weren't. They were in horrible shape. The R38s weren't either, their roofs weren't in good shape. The mods aren't in good shape, the R42s aren't either, the R32s are in relatively good shape. All of them are way different now than they were new. And I remember all of them when they were new. Even the R32. Who knows what the R160s will go through and how they will age. Time will tell. You don't know and I don't know, all you are doing is speculating. Now they are the most recent model trains and there are brand-new R160s on the (E) and (F) lines, even if the model is 3 years old and a very similar model is 9 years in service. That's not long, at least not from my perspective.

The 60s were exciting in terms of train design. The R32/R38 were a certain redbird derivative style, the R40 Slant was leading in a new direction, very flawed but new direction. The R40M solidified the way at least the front of subway cars were to look until the R68, but also the commuter M1s. The R42 is just a modified R40M IMO. The R44 is a revolution, it cracks me up to hear people say that they suck because they were far more revolutionary for their time than the R142 and R143/R160 is now. The MTA design made a huge leap in subway quietness and smoothness, it was amazing that you can actually talk on this train and the look of the interior was downright luxurious for a subway train--and quite colorful. The ding-dong was really cool as well. The R46 was similar, no huge difference. I know the R44 is technically the 1970s as well as the R46, but it was a series of closely churned out trains. From the R32s in 1964 to R38s to R40s, R42s and R44s in 1971, only 7-8 years were in between those car introductions and the cars looked quite different (R32/R38 kind of similar, R40 big change, R40M new front, R42 is like R40M, then 75-foot curved sides R44 with way different interior).

I think only the R32 seems decent now. I've ridden the old trains enough. I like a quieter, smoother car with good lighting. That's why I prefer R44 and up. Favorite is the R46 followed by R68 followed by R160/R143. But there's no doubt that the R160/R143/R142 feels the most up-to-date and I like that they display the time. I find this very useful. As for what routes the R160 goes on, they are already on too many. So, fill up the (F) and then some can come to the (R). There are too many IMO. I do hope the R188 and R179 are different than the R160. I hope that we have line ID signs that aren't all red in the future. I hope for better seating. But, I'm also wondering when will the next real revolutionary train come out. One that will be like the R44 was in terms of being that much quieter and smoother than any other model that preceded it and that has a very striking interior.

Here's the thing: I would understand people getting hype over the R160s when they first rolled into passenger service in 2006. That I can understand because we've never seen them before, and it would be extreme luck to catch one. My dad and I caught an R142A on the (6) when it first came into service in 2000, and even caught the R142 (2) heading home. I was 8 at the time, so the happy-go-lucky person i would be would be really hype to see them and ride them if I had a chance because they were relatively new. After a year or so passed, it got old and I wasn't excited about them anymore because the old cars were slowly going. We forget to appreciate what we have now because once they're gone, they'll be gone for good. That is why I waited for an hour on the Slants' last day of service just to catch that train. i could have been doing other things. I technically had to be home at 7:30 that evening. No, I caught that train and showed it how much appreciation it withholds and deserves because it has been through so much that the newer cars haven't and probably never ever will, and even though I had to end my ride short at my home station and couldn't ride it all the way to Far Rockaway, I will never forget the fact that several other railfans and I went down in history for being on the last R40 Slants. I'd understand for those who couldn't make it were busy, but I bet you some were busy riding the R160s because as much advanced technology as they may have over the older equipment, the older equipment have beaten them and will always beat them by a longshot in so many categories, such as the railfan window, their appeal to riders because the seats on the R160s are not as great at the TA had expected (eve regular passengers say this), and most of all, their variety in design. What good is a subway car if they all look alike???

Is this this directed at me? Granted I was excited when the R142's were starting to run in service on the IRT lines, but gradually the appeal wore off and I didn't care anymore. And this was when I was still very interested in transit and a 'n00b'.

I totally agree about the R160's as being nothing but standard design and no variations whatsoever [hell, would it have killed them to make the front different colors like they have for the LIRR and MNCR M7's?]

I appreciate the older cars, but I was busy with school on the day the last slant was in service. Sure I could've cut class to go ride it, but I didn't want to miss the class since we were going over important stuff for a test the next week. And I don't normally ride the subways since I'm only a bus ride from most of my destinations.

So If this comment was directed to anyone in general, I apologize. But if this was directed towards me, I'd just like to clarify things from my post.

The point that R32 3838 is trying his hardest to point out is that the majority of the members here are too buzy foaming over something that would be around for 35+ years. The same thing happened when the 142/A's were entering service. People foamed over them like its the second coming of Jesus Christ. I for one is getting bored reading how some people bust a nut on something new. Just appreciate the R32's, R40M's, and R42's while there still around. If you don't appreciate them now, there will be no chance in hell you'll appreciate them after there gone.

Just quit foaming over 160's. You'll have 3-4 decades to ride them everyday. The same cannot be said for the remaining 60-foot SMEE's. Those trains are going fast. Appreciate them now, or else...

We have our right to enjoy and discuss the trains we ride, you can bust a nut on your older subway models but you ain't stopping us from what we do, and I thought you was banned?

More like the All My Children remix!
Rotflmfao

Archived