Track M at Junius St

R62A 1991

Last night, for the first time in a decade, I saw track M at Junius St being used. I was coming home from a get together for a friend who's off to college today, and my (4) train stopped right before Junius St. We were held for about 10 minutes at 11:21 PM, while a Woodlawn-bound (4) left, then the diesel locomotive came in, very slowly onto the middle track. Boy, the passengers were pissed, but it was interesting to see it in usage, especially after it was out of service multiple times (with a nice slew of midday shuttling to go with it). I used to think that the diesels that came in on the Brooklyn IRT side were stored in Livonia, because I usually hear them passing Van Siclen at midnight. But, now that the track is back in service, they're using it again. The train consisted of two diesels, one work R33, and 5 flatbed cars. I think they were going to finish off the work at the Washington Av switches directly east of Eastern Pkwy. After I got off at Van Siclen, I saw a (3), and a (4) come directly behind my train, which shows that this was probably a delicate procedure; maybe they should've sent my train first since it was about 7 minutes before the train even came to the middle track. Or maybe it needed to be handled that way, who knows.

The last time I saw that track M in usage was back in 1996 or '97. The same thing happened to my father & myself after midnight, but we were at the back of a (4) train of Redbirds. So, we raced up to the first car to see it all in action. Just a little story of my travels last night. I'm glad that track is back in service, and it looks like for good until another repair is needed.

Oh, and one more thing: for the weekend G.O., (2) trains were not signed as "Eastern Pkwy EXP," rather they used "Eastern Pkwy Lcl" with the 3 stops blacked out. They do have a Brooklyn express program, I've seen it before, just never going to Flatbush, only to Utica.

Last night, for the first time in a decade, I saw track M at Junius St being used. I was coming home from a get together for a friend who's off to college today, and my (4) train stopped right before Junius St. We were held for about 10 minutes at 11:21 PM, while a Woodlawn-bound (4) left, then the diesel locomotive came in, very slowly onto the middle track. Boy, the passengers were pissed, but it was interesting to see it in usage, especially after it was out of service multiple times (with a nice slew of midday shuttling to go with it). I used to think that the diesels that came in on the Brooklyn IRT side were stored in Livonia, because I usually hear them passing Van Siclen at midnight. But, now that the track is back in service, they're using it again. The train consisted of two diesels, one work R33, and 5 flatbed cars. I think they were going to finish off the work at the Washington Av switches directly east of Eastern Pkwy. After I got off at Van Siclen, I saw a (3), and a (4) come directly behind my train, which shows that this was probably a delicate procedure; maybe they should've sent my train first since it was about 7 minutes before the train even came to the middle track. Or maybe it needed to be handled that way, who knows.

The last time I saw that track M in usage was back in 1996 or '97. The same thing happened to my father & myself after midnight, but we were at the back of a (4) train of Redbirds. So, we raced up to the first car to see it all in action. Just a little story of my travels last night. I'm glad that track is back in service, and it looks like for good until another repair is needed.

Oh, and one more thing: for the weekend G.O., (2) trains were not signed as "Eastern Pkwy EXP," rather they used "Eastern Pkwy Lcl" with the 3 stops blacked out. They do have a Brooklyn express program, I've seen it before, just never going to Flatbush, only to Utica.

I saw that track being use last year.

Archived