Question about Bx7/M100

mark1447

What year was the line spited from Riverdale to East Harlem. And why was it split. I heard something about the M100 was too long to get from Bronx to Manhattan[W263 Riverdale ave to E125th Street/2nd Ave] and back, but it doesnt sound like its a long commute, if you look at the M1 from Harlem-147th St to the Ferry it looks the same compared to the Bx7/M100 and even the M5 from GWB/179th St to Village..

The change happened in either 1988 or 1989. The M100 used to go from 263rd St in Riverdale to 125th and 2nd Ave and the Bx7 used to be what is currently the Bx20, which replaced the Bx7's route when all of the changes happened. My mother and I lived in Marble Hill in the mid 80's, so the M100 brings back some happy memories for me.:(

What year was the line spited from Riverdale to East Harlem. And why was it split. I heard something about the M100 was too long to get from Bronx to Manhattan[E263 Riverdale ave to E125th Street/2nd Ave] and back, but it doesnt sound like its a long commute, if you look at the M1 from Harlem-147th St to the Ferry it looks the same compared to the Bx7/M100 and even the M5 from GWB/179th St to Village..

Plus the traffic problems along 125th St did not help either for the M100.

Most of the riders along Riverdale Ave when the (MTA)approved of the change was angry. Even though the BXM1 and BXM2 express buses takes them to Midtown, ppl argued publicly they wanted access to other buses on 1-fare, mainly the M101/102 to get to the East Side as well.

Off the record, The rumors(whether 'true' or not its up to you to believe) are is the anger was partially racial as many Riverdale residents dont consider themselves want to be a part of the Bronx. In 1988/89 NYC was still in the middle of long violent crime era aka the cocaine wars and Riverdale Ave residents were fearful a "BX" named bus line would lower their home property values.

How this answers your question Mark.:(

The change happened in either 1988 or 1989. The M100 used to go from 263rd St in Riverdale to 125th and 2nd Ave and the Bx7 used to be what is currently the Bx20, which replaced the Bx7's route when all of the changes happened. My mother and I lived in Marble Hill in the mid 80's, so the M100 brings back some happy memories for me.;)

wow i thought u were a teen today, but im wrong now =/ But if the M100 went to the bronx and Bx7[Now Bx20] went via Spuyten Duyvil, did that Bx7[80s] went to Riverdale instead of Henry Hudson?

Plus the traffic problems along 125th St did not help either for the M100.

Most of the riders along Riverdale Ave when the (MTA)approved of the change was angry. Even though the BXM1 and BXM2 express buses takes them to Midtown, ppl argued publicly they wanted access to other buses on 1-fare, mainly the M101/102 to get to the East Side as well.

Off the record, The rumors(whether 'true' or not its up to you to believe) are is the anger was partially racial as many Riverdale residents dont consider themselves want to be a part of the Bronx. In 1988/89 NYC was still in the middle of long violent crime era aka the cocaine wars and Riverdale Ave residents were fearful a "BX" named bus line would lower their home property values.

How this answers your question Mark.:(

Im kinda confused sir, are you saying people didnt want to split the M100 form the Bronx? I do like the idea tho since its better tehn trnasfering to/from Bx7 and M100 to get to a downtown bus , unless its the Bx7 to M2/3/4/5/18 Buses And IRT/IND Subway

Wow. That seems like a dreadfully long ride. I can't even handle taking the M100 from 125th to 207th, cause that takes an hour in itself.

It does seem a bit long from 145th to 181st Street, bit not that long. This sounds like the M10 being split with the M20 from 159th St to Battery park before the M20 was made..

Yup. In nutshell most riders in Riverdale strongly opposed the M100 being split.

Well then me too. I mean it cant even just cross the bridge and end in Marble Hill. Its a Kingsbridge route and cant just take a dive up here. The only Manhattan bus that leaves the boro so far is MVs' M60. M100 would benifit for direct acceess to Eastside.. Maybe even turning it into LTD from 207th to W125th St would do since the Bx7/M3/M101 runs with the M100.

I would have the M100 extend at least to ether 242nd Van Corthland or 231st in Riverdale where the Bx1 ends.

BTW i remember the M100 ended at 207th Street in the 90s, why did it extend to 220th Street? For KB access?

Well then me too. I mean it cant even just cross the bridge and end in Marble Hill. Its a Kingsbridge route and cant just take a dive up here. The only Manhattan bus that leaves the boro so far is MVs' M60. M100 would benifit for direct acceess to Eastside.. Maybe even turning it into LTD from 207th to W125th St would do since the Bx7/M3/M101 runs with the M100.

I would have the M100 extend at least to ether 242nd Van Corthland or 231st in Riverdale where the Bx1 ends.

BTW i remember the M100 ended at 207th Street in the 90s, why did it extend to 220th Street? For KB access?

Yes the M100 was extended around 10 years ago in 1998-99 to access the KB depot. I agree with Mark to point that the M100 be extended but imo should end/start at 231-Riverdale and no further. Extending the M100 should be done mainly for access to the Target/Harlem River Mall on 225/Marble Hill and transfer access to the BX9 and BX10.

The traffic along 125th 7 days a week is a parking lot especially between Lex and 8th Ave/Douglas with the Apollo and all the shops. The BX20 other than maybe be used to connect Dyckman housing projects would not be needed.

On that one i agree w/ (MTA) to split the route of the BX7 and M100 20 years ago but the M100 should still ran to 231st.(BX1 Riverdale terminaL)

I always felt like they should put things back to the way it was in the 80s and have the M100 with LTD service. The Bx20 as it stands is a waste, and as a B/o put it to me last week "In all of the 10 years I've been at KB you are the 1st person to ever get on at the 1st stop on the M100". And the only reason I got on there was to see the Hybrid training going on.

I always felt like they should put things back to the way it was in the 80s and have the M100 with LTD service. The Bx20 as it stands is a waste, and as a B/o put it to me last week "In all of the 10 years I've been at KB you are the 1st person to ever get on at the 1st stop on the M100". And the only reason I got on there was to see the Hybrid training going on.

Mark and Q43 the M100 only has 7-8 minutes headways rush hours so it does qualify for limited stop service. Plus the (1) and (A) lines is nearby. Not to mention the BXM1 off peaks stops at 125th St. Mark and Q46 until you address the issue of 125th traffc the BX7/M100(extended to 231St)is fine as is.

Mark and Q43 the M100 only has 7-8 minutes headways rush hours so it does qualify for limited stop service. Plus the (1) and (A) lines is nearby. Not to mention the BXM1 off peaks stops at 125th St. Mark and Q46 until you address the issue of 125th traffc the BX7/M100(extended to 231St)is fine as is.

The Bxm1 doesn't stop at 125 St I'm sure of that. The Q36 runs every 7-10 mins during rush hours yet theres LTD service on that route. If the route is going from 231 or 246 it's going to need LTD Service. As for 125 St there needs to be no parking or standing on the St M-F 8-8

The Bxm1 doesn't stop at 125 St I'm sure of that. The Q36 runs every 7-10 mins during rush hours yet theres LTD service on that route. If the route is going from 231 or 246 it's going to need LTD Service. As for 125 St there needs to be no parking or standing on the St M-F 8-8

The limited stop rules is from a (MTA)meeting i attended 4-5 years ago when then NYCT President Larry Reuter defined the rules. This is not my idea.

For example when a route that runs by itself for most of it coordior, ie B41 via Utica, Q46 via Union Turnpike, BX12 via Fordham/Pelham Pwy, etc. then the 5-6 minute headways apply.

On other hand, For coordiors that have mutli routes such as Lex/3rd Ave, Woodghaven/Cross Bay Blvd or like the Q36, along Hillside it does not need to have 5 minute headways.

Also the Q44 has 10-12 minutes headways on sundays and has limited service. However combined most of its service with the Q20 is along Main St buses run every 6minutes Sundays. The Q36 is a considered a sub branch of the Hillside Ave coordior and thus reason it runs every 7-10 minutes. Adding all of the buses that run between 212 St and 179th via Hillside rush hours ie Q1, Q36 and Q43, buses are suppose to run every 2-3 minutes.

Plus the M100 runs by itself along Amsterdam most of its route between 168th and 125th as well. Q46 or Mark is not addressing the 125th traffic issue. Trying to create bus only lanes would not be easy and the 125th store owners and businesses may oppose it. Also, even now running between 220th and 125th/2nd, the M100 has problems w/ bus bunching.

Get it now Q46.:cool:

I still haven't heard a reasonable/convincing argument as to why LTD's exist on the Q36.....

Not to mention the BXM1 off peaks stops at 125th St.

You're probably talking about that x bus stop on 120th.... The BxM1 doesn't stop there.... IIRC, the BxM7, 9, & the 10 makes that stop...

BxM1 crosses 125th st @ 3rd, and then makes its way onto Harlem river drive... The only routes that stop on that NE corner of 125th/3rd are are the M98, and the M103 (where that terminates)... no express buses stop there at all, bro.

I mean it cant even just cross the bridge and end in Marble Hill. Its a Kingsbridge route and cant just take a dive up here.

Layover issues.

It sucks, but people do walk across the Broadway bridge to get to the mall (and the marble hill houses)....

You're probably talking about that x bus stop on 120th.... The BxM1 doesn't stop there.... IIRC, the BxM7, 9, & the 10 makes that stop...

at all, bro.

3rd Av-122nd St temporality stop for BxM6/BxM7/BxM9/BxM10 due to 123rd St construction.

2nd Av-122nd St is same bus.

Mad Av and 5th Av-125th Sts express stop for BxM3/BxM4A/B.

I still haven't heard a reasonable/convincing argument as to why LTD's exist on the Q36.....

BxM1 crosses 125th st @ 3rd, and then makes its way onto Harlem river drive... The only routes that stop on that NE corner of 125th/3rd are are the M98, and the M103 (where that terminates)... no express buses stop there at all, bro.

Layover issues.

It sucks, but people do walk across the Broadway bridge to get to the mall (and the marble hill houses)....

I never knew there was a Mall in Marble Hill, manhattan. I know Target yes from the MNCRR Hudson view.

@Q43 Floral Park I agree with you 100% on the Bx20 being pointless. What I wonder is why doesnt it run during Sundays.. If it runs Weekdays and Saturdays..

Mark: Riverdale is dead on sundays so the bx7 and bx10 can handle service up there. And Target is part of the mall, its called at river plaza. Is it still technically manhattan? All the stores and homes have there address as bronx ny.

Hudson: the headways of the bx7/m100 are sufficient enough for LTD service on B'way, same on st nic with the m3 and amsterdam with the m101. There isn't any corridor that it serves alone.

B35 the Q36 overall is a waste, the logic behind the LTD was that people would get off the Q43 and take it as an alternative on hillside but people still wait for a Q43 over a Q36 especially considering it runs every 10 mins and doesn't stop @ hillside/sf blvd. And the bxm1's that don't serve inwood don't even make it to 125 they use the triboro.

Mark: Riverdale is dead on sundays so the bx7 and bx10 can handle service up there. And Target is part of the mall, its called at river plaza. Is it still technically manhattan? All the stores and homes have there address as bronx ny.

Hudson: the headways of the bx7/m100 are sufficient enough for LTD service on B'way, same on st nic with the m3 and amsterdam with the m101. There isn't any corridor that it serves alone.

B35 the Q36 overall is a waste, the logic behind the LTD was that people would get off the Q43 and take it as an alternative on hillside but people still wait for a Q43 over a Q36 especially considering it runs every 10 mins and doesn't stop @ hillside/sf blvd. And the bxm1's that don't serve inwood don't even make it to 125 they use the triboro.

Yup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Hill,_Manhattan

even tho i consider it the Bronx

Well i dunno if the (MTA) would ever bother extending the route of the M100. Might cost em a little more...

do you think (MTA) or (MTA) nyct bus depot taking caring of the bus properly? :tdown: yesterday i had found mosquito , coackroach ,

fly are ( spreading out that when sit back of the bus.

there no air conditioner on the bus. on bx4 and Bx31

While i am sorry about the directy conditions of the bus please create another new thread on dirty buses?

Back to anything about the BX7/M100.

Archived