Accidents waiting to happen: Drivers run amok at intersections around New York

Harry

Busy intersections are like the "Wild West," with drivers committing and average of 157 traffic violations per hour, a street-safety advocacy group claimed Tuesday.

In a 38-hour survey of four major intersections, Transportation Alternatives observed driver after driver after driver disregard a stop signs, run red lights, block the box or commit some other infractions, the nonprofit said in a report, "From Chaos to Compliance."

None of the drivers received summonses as the violations weren't observed by police, according to the report.

"What causes the Wild West nature of New York City streets?," the report asks.

"The same factor that allows New York City drivers to travel dangerously until they crash: A lack of deterrence."

The survery was conducted in two-hour intervals at both morning and evening rush hours.

The NYPD strongly rejected claims the streets are out-of-control and the department needs to better deploy officers conducting enforcement.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/08/25/2009-08-25_accidents_waiting_to_happen_drivers_run_amok_at_intersections_around_new_york_sa.html#ixzz0SSNfZrQ5

post-1-13328858074_thumb.jpg

post-1-13328858074_thumb.jpg

the people I see that tend to be the worst drivers in teh city and the island are the cabbies and those people driving those work vans. Also what Ive noticed that tends to happen in NYC is that the traffic lights arent timed properly so what happens is every one or two lights you go thru you get a red light on the third one. That winds up making people impatient and they tend to zoom thru. The red light cameras defenately have unintended consiquences, they cause rear end colisons because people wind up having to stop suddenly on yellow so they dont get caught by the camera. If it were a cop watching the intersection, he would be able to look and see, if this person stopped he woulda got hit because the guy behind him is tailgating, and the cop would probably nab the guy tailgating and who most probably also ran the light.

At the end of the day its more incentive to leave the car at the station and take the train into NYC, the only time I have to drive into NYC is if I am going to get family from the airport or I am driving thru to get to Jersey or Upstate.

I got hit by a cab, and almost hit by some stupid jerk. Both had red lights, i had the cross signal. I think it's time to put cameras at intersections.

- A

Cameras won't stop drivers from running lights. They'll give drivers fines, but not much more than that.

Plus, what about the guys who just zoom into a turn as soon as they get the green light? That won't cover them. I've almost been hit by two people who did that.

It won't stop until people learn to stop thinking they're the king of the road and follow the rules. Which will probably never happen.

This morning when I was going back home from Jackson Heights, from Q33 Northbound, I spotted car going eastbound somewhere in E. Elmhurst jump red light and went straight right in front of moving Q33 bus.

Then again, red jeep going westbound on 93rd St turn right on red at 23rd Av, and turn right at red again at 94th St, when bus was turning left.

Some out of-nyc drivers NEED TO UNDERSTAND turning on RED IS ILLEGAL in NYC.

Only buses has no choice, because they cannot stand right on time.

Cameras won't stop drivers from running lights. They'll give drivers fines, but not much more than that.

Plus, what about the guys who just zoom into a turn as soon as they get the green light? That won't cover them. I've almost been hit by two people who did that.

It won't stop until people learn to stop thinking they're the king of the road and follow the rules. Which will probably never happen.

I reported the second incident, just in case the car was stolen or driver's license suspended, if there was a camera set at the intersection, they would have gotten a huge fine or had a 60 day suspension. Thankfully i had my own camera and got a photo of the license plate.

- A

While I admit the cabs are the worst...I've had to watch out more lately for these Chinese food delivery people on bicycles. Cars I can pretty much hear coming but those cyclists come out of nowhere. I swear some unlucky biker is gonna get chased by me and yanked off his bicycle one day. People are just that damn inconsiderate.

Archived