Third Rail Safety At Stations

Normally, third rails are along the wall or on the opposite side of an island platform but I seem to think there is a station or two where it is under the platform. One of these seem to be Broadway-Nassau (A)(C). In fact, there seems to be a handrail along the wall of this island platform station.

Under the stations? I don't recall seeing any 3rd rails under the station platforms.

The 3rd rail is on the platform side at many of the river tube stations. The safest way to get back on to the platform is to not be on the roadbed in the first place as over 47 fulley trained transit workers have been killed while on the roadbed since the 60's. That being said, if you are able run away from where the trains are coming from as there are always ladders up to the platform or bench wall at the end of every station. If you are unable, lay down in the ditch untill help arrives. Yea I know it's fill with sh*t, but it's better then being wheel meat. Remember, if you feel sick or dizzy, stay the F away from the edge of the platform, don't screw around either as these are the most likly reason why some one would fall on to the roadbed. Don't try to get to the wall side of the roadbed as even the most calm, cool, and collected people will freak outbeing down there. It's only about 4 feet from the tracks to the plaform, but it seems like a different wold down there.

The 3rd rail is always next to the support beams, or the wall, never under the platform. There is a chance at roosevelt island (F) where you can get to the middle area, but i'd think unless you were totally alone someone would come help you up onto the platform. Plus, who falls into the track pit and isn't somehow injured, you're not going to be going anywhere on your own most likely.

- A

The third rail is always on the opposite side of the platform, so people don't get fried while climbing back up. The only time when the third rail is on the side of a platform is when there are two platforms, and a middle track, like 9th Avenue on the West End. If you were to climb up from there, use the opposite platform, where is no third rail...

The NYCTM did the "Track Safety" lessons a while ago. Do they still do it now? I'd like to take that course.

The 3rd rail is always next to the support beams, or the wall, never under the platform.

- A

The third rail is always on the opposite side of the platform, so people don't get fried while climbing back up.

Oh really?

For the life of me I can't see the 3rd rail along the wall in this photo... because it's on the platform side.

img_46167.jpg

img_38381.jpg

img_74755-1.jpg

The 3rd rail is on the platform side at many of the river tube stations. The safest way to get back on to the platform is to not be on the roadbed in the first place as over 47 fulley trained transit workers have been killed while on the roadbed since the 60's. That being said, if you are able run away from where the trains are coming from as there are always ladders up to the platform or bench wall at the end of every station. If you are unable, lay down in the ditch untill help arrives. Yea I know it's fill with sh*t, but it's better then being wheel meat. Remember, if you feel sick or dizzy, stay the F away from the edge of the platform, don't screw around either as these are the most likly reason why some one would fall on to the roadbed. Don't try to get to the wall side of the roadbed as even the most calm, cool, and collected people will freak outbeing down there. It's only about 4 feet from the tracks to the plaform, but it seems like a different wold down there.

its actually more than four feet. trust me i am on the tracks everyday. and the reason why you might see a grabbar over a third rail is because you have to step on the thirdrail protection board to get to the bench wall. i step on the board all the time. they are really strong. 300lb guys sit on them all the time. there is really not much to fear about the third rail its not going to jump out and bite you. so if for some reason you end up on the tracks try to get into a clear up niche and wait for help. i have been in spots where i had to stand between 2 third rails with trains passing on both sides of me. theres nothing to it.

its actually more than four feet. trust me i am on the tracks everyday. and the reason why you might see a grabbar over a third rail is because you have to step on the thirdrail protection board to get to the bench wall. i step on the board all the time. they are really strong. 300lb guys sit on them all the time. there is really not much to fear about the third rail its not going to jump out and bite you. so if for some reason you end up on the tracks try to get into a clear up niche and wait for help. i have been in spots where i had to stand between 2 third rails with trains passing on both sides of me. theres nothing to it.

Yeah, but you work for them. You're used to it. Normal people have probably never been faced with a situation like that before.

As I was told by a TSS who does the track qualification course, when you accend to the bench wall that has the 3rd rail right below it, you grab the grab bar and while placing one foot on the ladder at an angle, you pull your self up and over the 3rd rail. The new protection boards that are fibberglass are very strong, but I have seen the old wooden ones break when people step on them.

Now when you were standing between 2 3rd rails as train went by, were there columns to hold on to or was it an open area?

it was a open area. no columns. it is true what the tss said but there are many places where the grab bar is on a wall and the bench wall is 2 feet wide and about 5 feet high. so no matter what you have to step on that board to get to that ladder.also some of those grabbars only stick out about 2 inches. i work with several woman that have trouble climbing them.

it was a open area. no columns. it is true what the tss said but there are many places where the grab bar is on a wall and the bench wall is 2 feet wide and about 5 feet high. so no matter what you have to step on that board to get to that ladder.also some of those grabbars only stick out about 2 inches. i work with several woman that have trouble climbing them.

Yea, they look like they can be a problem for shorter people. Since I am 6'3" things that seem high up for some people are know problem for me, I guess thats why platform hight feels more like 4 feet then 5 to me. Also, how wide is the walkway on elevated strucutes, it looks alot bigger then 2 feet, almost like 3 and a half to 4.

How many stations have 3rd rail under a platform? Till today i thought it was none, but i'm no subway expert. Why would they do that? Seems contrary to logic. :confused:

- A

The last time I went to Kings Highway on the Manhattan bound (B) platform, there still some rail under the platform near the front. Someone told me that it was never removed since the (MTA) extended the platform. I don't know if it's been removed with any of the renovations.

How many stations have 3rd rail under a platform? Till today i thought it was none, but i'm no subway expert. Why would they do that? Seems contrary to logic. :confused:

- A

All express stations on elevated staions have the 3rd rail under one of the platforms. Both York and High Street do too.

Oh really?

For the life of me I can't see the 3rd rail along the wall in this photo... because it's on the platform side.

(A)(C)

Thank you. These are good examples of subway stations where the third rail runs under the station platform. As lrg5784 added, Broadway-Nassau Street (A)(C) is a fourth subway station. Notice the yellow handrail on the wall at York Street (F) and at High Street Brooklyn Bridge (A)(C).

(A)(C)

Thank you. These are good examples of subway stations where the third rail runs under the station platform. As lrg5784 added, Broadway-Nassau Street (A)(C) is a fourth subway station. Notice the yellow handrail on the wall at York Street (F) and at High Street Brooklyn Bridge (A)(C).

Yes York St does have a hand rail, but you sure as hell don't want to stand there when a train comes. If you do, you'll paint the station red.

Archived