Car Service on SI Ferry?

mark1447

I've always notice they have a small road to allow cars to access the Ferry, tho now Cars can't access.

When was the last time Cars was ever allowed on the Ferry, and why did NYCDOT ended Car+Passenger Ferry Service on the SIF? Is it because car owners would avoid paying tolls to access Manhattan via Interstate 278 and other Interstate? I'm confused tho..

They stopped after 9/11 i believe, realizing that someone could basically drive a bomb onto one of the ferries, and not only kill people or sink a ferry, but damage the vital ferry terminal buildings.

- A

Metsfan is right. Cars will never be allowed on the ferry again as a safety precaution. However, I only wish there was a way to get between Manhattan and Staten Island quicker by car without having to go through Brooklyn or taking a 25-minute ferry ride. Somewhere down the line I envision a tunnel being built between Manhattan and Staten Island, eliminating the need for the ferry.

If emergency vehicles were put on, likely no pax, since it would be an emergncy, and they have enough boats for it not to affect regular service.

- A

About two times, I spotted police car on hovercraft SIF. These polices are making sure no one do anything to SIF?

About two times, I spotted police car on hovercraft SIF. These polices are making sure no one do anything to SIF?

Likely either convenience move or a drill. I'm not sure what you mean by hovercraft.

- A

They stopped after 9/11 i believe, realizing that someone could basically drive a bomb onto one of the ferries, and not only kill people or sink a ferry, but damage the vital ferry terminal buildings.

- A

There must be some way to prevent that, what with modern scanning technology. How about all the other ferries that still carry cars and passengers such as Port Jefferson-Bridgeport, Orient Point-New London, etc.?

There must be some way to prevent that, what with modern scanning technology. How about all the other ferries that still carry cars and passengers such as Port Jefferson-Bridgeport, Orient Point-New London, etc.?

The Greenpoint ferry (orient point) is a vital link that has existed for about 150 years. The LIRR's origins were to serve as a NY-boston link before the shore line was created. Port jefferson ferry originated when that area was heavily involved in ship building, and it connected to the industrial city of bridgeport, ct. Not as vital of a link, but paired with the other ferry it enables people reasonable time in traveling to the popular harbor and beaches on long island.

You can drive easily from manhattan to staten island without too much extra time. Not the case with the other 2 ferries.

Those ferries aren't targets because they are not new york city.

As far as scanning technology, not sure what you are talking about. The only things they have currently are x-ray machines, which is a big no-no around people, and bomb sniffing dogs, which while wildly effective, can be gotten around by people motivated to do so.

- A

I agree. If cars were back on, it going to make SIF behind schedule.

When I took B&PJ Ferry for first time, it got delay at Bridgeport docking because ferry was overcrowded with cars, so they had to remove few cars, so pedestrian walkway can be lowed.

Good point. Imgine trying to examine every car, the delays. No thanks! Besides like i said, it's actually nicer to have the car ferry design, but no cars on board, the big boat can use that extra muscle to its advantage vs slugging around a bunch of pokes with their car. :cool:

Plus, going out front on the car deck on a windy warm day is :tup: :cool: :eek:!

- A

Good point. Imgine trying to examine every car, the delays. No thanks! Besides like i said, it's actually nicer to have the car ferry design, but no cars on board, the big boat can use that extra muscle to its advantage vs slugging around a bunch of pokes with their car. :cool:

Plus, going out front on the car deck on a windy warm day is :tup: :cool: :eek:!

- A

All ferry sites that says security inspection, but no one did not check any foot passenger on B&PJ, Staten Island Ferry, even some NYPD in subway cops, even I have backpack.

Gowanus Expressway should have HOV/Bus Lanes implented from BBT to Verrazaro Narrows Bridge in both direction.

Archived