Designline hybrid vs orion next generation

lirim

i think the designline's more efficient than the orion.

small turbine compared to cummings B-6.7?

yeah...

and no to mention the lithium ion battery's more efficient.

i wish they would go ahead and replace the ni-cd batteries on the older orions. and reprogram the engine control because i don't think the way the engine runs now is much more efficient than a conventional bus. i would much rather see the orions accelerate to 20 mph on LI battery power then kick in the diesel than they way it is now: the diesel is always on and burning unecessary fuel.

3800 was on display at the 2008 roadeo and someone put up the "Bx7" sign.

All the pics that I saw of 3800 that day had KB designations. And 3962 had Bx55 signs when that early pic of it was shown. I don't know why though.

I'm going to try and ride the designline next week before I leave, but in terms of the exterior as much as I hate the NGs look, i think its better than the Designline. Looks like a knock off RTS.

You've got to be kidding me. Designline made the ECO-Saver IV llok like an RTS because the RTS design INSPIRED Designline.

I'll take a Designline Hybrid over a NG any day of the week. To cap it off, I'm glad MJQ got the Designline ECO-Saver IV's first.

Okay, IMO I would rather have a Hybrid RTS than a Designline "inspried" by an RTS. Why have an imitation of an RTS. But thats not what we are discussing. Its all a matter of personal opinion, I didn't like the NGs at first but after a few rides they started to grow on me. I just said I have yet to ride the thing to accurately compare.

How does the bus being at Quill relate to the topic?

I think the turbine is what will set Designline apart from Orion:

1. The turbine will meet CARB2010 and EPA 2010 emissions guidelines without the need for an exhaust aftertreatment system. The exhaust aftertreatment system on the Orion adds cost, wieght, and is just another part that can break down.

2. The turbine is quiet and has very low vibrations.

3. The turbine uses air-bearings, and requires no oil or coolents. Bus depots will not have to deal with waste oil.

4. The turbine has only one moving part, so it should require very little maintenance.

5. The turbiine has power electronis that allows a PC to hook up to it to find any problems.

6. The turbine should offer much better MPG, especially as the weather cools down a bit.

BTW, this is my first post, great community you guys have here.

Darpa

KB's Bx7 Orion 7?? Where/when did you get that??
I took that picture at the bus roadeo.

yeah...

i wish they would go ahead and replace the ni-cd batteries on the older orions. and reprogram the engine control because i don't think the way the engine runs now is much more efficient than a conventional bus. i would much rather see the orions accelerate to 20 mph on LI battery power then kick in the diesel than they way it is now: the diesel is always on and burning unecessary fuel.

Don't the VII Hybrids got 5.9L Cummins?

yeah...

MTA would never allow the hybrid system to operate with engine off til battery power is used up. The current diesel engine is not really design to turn on/off on-demand and there's a high chance with the engine not being able to restart.

Right now, the only problem is cost$$$. Which bus cost less to operate and maintain.

MTA would never allow the hybrid system to operate with engine off til battery power is used up. The current diesel engine is not really design to turn on/off on-demand and there's a high chance with the engine not being able to restart.QUOTE]

I know with the Designline the turbine only kicks in when the batteries get to certain level of charge.

Give me an NG anytime of the day over that Designline crap. I've ridden the Designline bus twice and I was sure after the 2nd ride that it really is garbage. The NG's are great cause I dig the ride, and most important for me, it has room. NG's rock!

I took that picture at the bus roadeo.

Don't the VII Hybrids got 5.9L Cummins?

The Orion 7 NG hybrids have the 6.7 while the previous Orion 7 hybrids have the 5.9.

Orion 7 NG Hybrid bus specs -http://www.baesystems.com/BAEProd/groups/public/documents/bae_publication/bae_pdf_eis_hybridrive_diamler.pdf

Orion 7 Hybrid bus specs - they got rid of that, but anything pre-NG had a 5.9 engine, before cummins stopped producing them for On Highway apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I would go with Orion VII NG. Daimler is the world's largest transit bus and motorcoach manufacturer.

Now for the Designlines, according to TTMG, 1306 is at Grand Av Depot. It has same specification as 1304. I guess Luminator is out of luck for this bus, as Titan Front Sign cannot "fit" inside the cover and MTA wants transit buses to have signs with large fonts (maybe).

Archived