GP40 towing Alp-44 and Arrow III's

styckx

Went to Princeton Junction today and this is the first train I saw. Quite the odd sight. I forget the total number of Arrow's but it was a long line of them.

I got a video of this pass which I'll upload later. I'm on my way home VIA RiverLINE as we speak.

tow.jpg

On an unrelated note. The more and more I see and ride Alp-46 lead trains the bigger fan I become of them. I hope Amtrak is smart enough to replace the AEM-7's with them. They are fantastic and reliable engines.

On an unrelated note. The more and more I see and ride Alp-46 lead trains the bigger fan I become of them. I hope Amtrak is smart enough to replace the AEM-7's with them. They are fantastic and reliable engines.

They will have their chance very soon to order ALP-46a's. If amtrak gets them (likely) you will likely never to rarely see them double up because they are very reliable.

The 44's will get rebuilt, and the next push-pull order (sans flippy seats!) will likely be relegated to being moved by the rebuilt 44's and the new 45's when they come in. i am sure some 44's will be relegated to the parts fleet, but they are all in decent condition & a rebuild will make them 100% (ok 98.99% B)). Once the ARC is complete you will see more trains per hour on all newark division (& some hoboken division) lines.

You will have alp-46, alp-46a, alp-45, alp-44 rebuild.

Amtrak is all most certain to at least give a serious look at the ALP-45's as well, because it would HUGELY simplify about 10 of their routes. The will not be "new gennies", simply easier flexibility if ordered.

Ok, back on topic. :cool:

- A

1.) The 44 Rebuild is still being debated.

2.) Amtrak has put a bulletin out seeking pre-bids for an electric locomotive, thus the 46a deal is all but dead unless they win the bid which does not seem likely which means Amtrak will go their own route with this. So hears to hoping they win it!

3.) Amtrak has no interest at this time in any dual mode locos

4.) NJT looks to only be ordering ML's now.

5.) Amtrak only doubles up locos if one is out of the shop and needs to get back into the swing of things or there is a shortage at one of the terminals. However there are cases where a loco craps out and they will tack another one on but most of the time its the two reasons I stated above as to why there are two AEM7's together.

1.) The 44 Rebuild is still being debated.

2.) Amtrak has put a bulletin out seeking pre-bids for an electric locomotive, thus the 46a deal is all but dead unless they win the bid which does not seem likely which means Amtrak will go their own route with this. So hears to hoping they win it!

3.) Amtrak has no interest at this time in any dual mode locos

4.) NJT looks to only be ordering ML's now.

5.) Amtrak only doubles up locos if one is out of the shop and needs to get back into the swing of things or there is a shortage at one of the terminals. However there are cases where a loco craps out and they will tack another one on but most of the time its the two reasons I stated above as to why there are two AEM7's together.

1: I see. :cool:

2: Indeed.

3: It would simplify empire operations. :cool:

4: Ah, ok makes sense! B)

- A

i think they scrapped the 44 rebuild idea for 6 extra 46a's back in june. there are still 24 46a options on the table for further replacement and expansion.

That's what I heard, but just 8 of them (very first ones). More MLVs were rumoured to replace the Comet IIIs as well.

I am waiting with much curiosity to see what they do with the 44's. I like them as the quirky corrugated "smaller brother" of the 46, but they do have some reliability issues these days. They are very good for the hoboken routes which are a little less demanding than nyp based :njc: and :nec:. I would like to see at least 2 stay on as work/put in, one at MMC and one at hoboken. Maybe they could use one or 2 on the princeton shuttle when the arrows start to be phased out.

- A

I am waiting with much curiosity to see what they do with the 44's. I like them as the quirky corrugated "smaller brother" of the 46, but they do have some reliability issues these days. They are very good for the hoboken routes which are a little less demanding than nyp based :njc: and :nec:. I would like to see at least 2 stay on as work/put in, one at MMC and one at hoboken. Maybe they could use one or 2 on the princeton shuttle when the arrows start to be phased out.

- A

The M&E is pretty punishing on engines just an FYI.

The M&E is pretty punishing on engines just an FYI.

Lot of stop start, but on the NEC if you don't move your butt you got amtk dispatchers yellin' at people. :(

I felt so bad for those poor lil guise when they were mix & match randomly with the multilevels. You would see EMU, 46 with 12 or 11 (double end) or 10 mlv, amtk, 44 with comets, 46 with mlv, then a 44 with 5 mlv's "i think i can i think i can". :cool: B)

- A

- A

Only the first 8 or so are planned for early retirement so far. The ALP-44Ms are gonna be here for a while as the later ALP-44s still have a few years into them.

Also note that NJT almost never sends Electric Locomotives to Hobolen being that almost all ALPs on the M&E goes to NYP. The beating is from changing voltages back and forth to/from the PRR and DL&W.

Also note that NJT almost never sends Electric Locomotives to Hoboken being that almost all ALPs on the M&E goes to NYP. The beating is from changing voltages back and forth to/from the PRR and DL&W.

Oh, i've seen at least one every time i'm there, but yea, most of their service is diesel and EMU.

Perhaps they should change all the wire to one standard. (NJT) did it before over a weekend when they "retired" the DL&W MU's & brought in the then new arrow 3's. Changed from 3kv DC to 2.5kv AC...

- A

Oh, i've seen at least one every time i'm there, but yea, most of their service is diesel and EMU.

Perhaps they should change all the wire to one standard. (NJT) did it before over a weekend when they "retired" the DL&W MU's & brought in the then new arrow 3's. Changed from 3kv DC to 2.5kv AC...

- A

You meant 25kv AC, right?

The NJ Transit system is scaring me with all this talk. The only thing I'm looking foward to is the Lackawanna Cut-Off which might go into service as early as 2011. (Even though 2012 is a rough estimate that NJT currently has.)

List of NJ Transit stuff I wish we knew more about:

The ill-fated MOM line, aka NJ Transit's Second Avenue Subway.

The Northern Corridor between Weehawken and Patterson.

The Lackawanna Cut-off

The ALP-44 rebuilt (oh *gulp* replacement :cry:)

The future of the Comet IIIs (People say they might go to Canada, other say SEPTA, other say scrap!)

Lastly, the rebuild of Perth Amboy. (Plans to rebuild the fallen apart gem from the PRR.)

It's time for the Arrow III's to go. Hellva design and build but sadly the ridership demands, and the comfort those riders are also demanding just don't match up to what they offer. I hope they find a secondary life as it's more then obvious they are built like a brick **** house. Even if scaled down to just a un-powered passenger car.

It's time for the Arrow III's to go. Hellva design and build but sadly the ridership demands, and the comfort those riders are also demanding just don't match up to what they offer. I hope they find a secondary life as it's more then obvious they are built like a brick **** house. Even if scaled down to just a un-powered passenger car.

I would not be surprised if they were stripped down, get a new interior and get a second life as push/pull, maybe on the :ac:. Since there are lots of pairs, they will need to be detached & proper couplers put on. Also, that middle door is very :tup: for crowded express service.

Comet 2 are more on the :nec: than comet 3 these days, and the Comet 3 HVAC on one end might be working but not the other end. Comet 4 are solid, but comet 3 still has those stupid door problems. I think those are on the way out soon.

Comet 2's are inefficient too. You have to walk to one end & the doors always get crowded. I can't see them being used for much longer on high density moves as more & more people ride the rail.

From all of the consists i've seen, the issues i've noticed (including rescues), and what i've seen at MMC, hoboken, and sunnyside, it seems (NJT) is about to drop a huge order for new cars.

------------------------------------------

3 issues they currently face with these possible new orders.

One is the removal of comet 1's from the property for space needed by expanded fleet. They sit there unused, when they could be sold for scrap $$$, maybe preserve 1-2.

2 is the re-activation of the old DL&W line to PA & the yard along/at the end there. To put a useful amount of trains per hour on that line you will need more pax cars & a fuel fill station at the end.

Then you have the jersey ave problem. That yard is :tup: for storing trains nights & weekends, however that station is just :tdown:. Moving the station to adams will drastically impact the trains per hour on the :nec:. It's also too close to new brunswick, and it will be good to make a schedule that doesn't include trains that stop at the middle of the :nec: so people have more options.

So, without doing much digging through (NJT) documents & press releases etc, you can see that a whole lot of stuff is slated for the next 3-5 years.

- A

Archived