GP40 towing Alp-44 and Arrow III's

styckx

N-Trizzy2609, I don't think that the Lackawanna Cutoff is even considered at this time. As experienced before, NJT would only do construction on one project at a time. Right now, the focus relieve project is the ARC. The Lackwanna Cutoff itself might not be as expensive as the ARC project, but considering that you need to rehab the Pequest Fill (a lot of gravel), build (and rebuild) 10 or more stations/parking lots (a lot of tar and concrete), laid the track (a lot of concrete and perhaps wood), rehab the Delaware and Paulinskill Viaducts (most crucial parts and a lot of concrete), and rebuild Slateford Junction (probably like the Kearny Jct with a lot of steel beams and concrete), it's a massive hassle.

I would not be surprised if they were stripped down, get a new interior and get a second life as push/pull, maybe on the :ac:. Since there are lots of pairs, they will need to be detached & proper couplers put on. Also, that middle door is very :tup: for crowded express service.

Comet 2 are more on the :nec: than comet 3 these days, and the Comet 3 HVAC on one end might be working but not the other end. Comet 4 are solid, but comet 3 still has those stupid door problems. I think those are on the way out soon.

Comet 2's are inefficient too. You have to walk to one end & the doors always get crowded. I can't see them being used for much longer on high density moves as more & more people ride the rail.

From all of the consists i've seen, the issues i've noticed (including rescues), and what i've seen at MMC, hoboken, and sunnyside, it seems (NJT) is about to drop a huge order for new cars.

- A

I don't think that the Arrow IIIs will be stripped down like Arrow Is for push/pull operation as they might discontinue single level cars after the Comet Vs.

The Comet IIMs are perhaps needed the most on the NEC b/c of the number of people along the line. In all honesty, I think the Comet IIMs actually work best on the NEC and RVL b/c most of their platforms are long enough for all the cars of the train to disembark. Considering that the MLVs don't have center doors, I think that NJT made a big mistake from ordering those Comet Vs b/c they all have center doors and seat numbers that wouldn't suffice the load on the NEC and RVL. Center door trains should only be used on express trains such as the Midtown Directs and shorter consists of the NEC to reduce idle time. In fact from that Comet V solid set a few years back on the NEC, I've witnessed many people standing for the duration of the ride.

The LCO is at least partly funded i believe. The ARC is fully funded, so anything else put into the budget isn't an issue.

I hear what you say bout seats, but i've been on standing room MLV trains too.

I'd much rather have a center "vestibule" to stand in with grab bars, than a narrow aisle with a tiny plastic hand hold near someone's head. :cool:

Unless the crew lays down the hammer for taking up seat space/flipping seats, people do it, and quite thoughtlessly i might add (some people honestly behave like they are the only ones on the train & it is their living room).

The quarter point + end doors on the MLV's actually do allow people to move more quickly, but sometimes they do act like morons and try to all get out the quarter point doors. ;) Not a good idea on such a high capacity railcar! :eek:

I really like middle doors (as an oft rider of both car types), maybe a compromise of a "half" door would suffice. Also putting the toilet at the end does NOT work, way too small there to get through, at least the C5's have that going for them!

I am going to suggest all this conversation be moved to the rolling stock roster thread. B)

- A

N-Trizzy2609, I don't think that the Lackawanna Cutoff is even considered at this time. As experienced before, NJT would only do construction on one project at a time. Right now, the focus relieve project is the ARC. The Lackwanna Cutoff itself might not be as expensive as the ARC project, but considering that you need to rehab the Pequest Fill (a lot of gravel), build (and rebuild) 10 or more stations/parking lots (a lot of tar and concrete), laid the track (a lot of concrete and perhaps wood), rehab the Delaware and Paulinskill Viaducts (most crucial parts and a lot of concrete), and rebuild Slateford Junction (probably like the Kearny Jct with a lot of steel beams and concrete), it's a massive hassle.

According to NJ Transit's plan, it has been financed already. Constuction date is a mystery. The first is from Andover to Lake Hoenpenge. Then Andover to East Stroudsburg, then straight to Scranton.

According to NJ Transit's plan, it has been financed already. Constuction date is a mystery. The first is from Andover to Lake Hoenpenge. Then Andover to East Stroudsburg, then straight to Scranton.

touchdown2.JPG

:tup:

- A

Archived