From The: Broadway EL, Myrtle EL, Astoria, Flushing & Grand Army Plz

R62A 1991

Today was another accidental railfan day. Went to the doctor, got a call saying be in the city to receive my new blackberry. Well, as it turns out, it didn't arrive until 3 PM. That means I spent the entire day pretty much railfanning. I went on three of the express G.O.s (the (J), the (W) and the <7>), and visited my old junior high school too. I even decided to railfan an R42 (V) train instead of blasting through the Queens Blvd EXP on the (E) (which it did blast through). So, here are the highlights from today.

First things first, the last of the 1200-series R142s at Van Siclen:

100_1647.jpg

Alabama Av:

100_1663.jpg

(J) train approaching:

100_1664.jpg

The F.I.N.D. was PERFECTLY set up for the express seen in these two videos:

Now, video #1 & 2: the (J) expresses:

I changed directions at Marcy Av:

100_1672.jpg

100_1673.jpg

100_1674.jpg

Lorimer St:

100_1687.jpg

The T/Os were pissed at me today!

100_1689.jpg

100_1692.jpg

Seneca Av:

100_1695.jpg

100_1698.jpg

100_1708.jpg

Metropolitan Av:

100_1712.jpg

100_1713.jpg

100_1716.jpg

Come to think of it, every (M) train that came in had working everything in every car. That's cool, because the (M) during the midday fills up the F.I.N.D. with no need for blinking stops.

Myrtle Av-Wyckoff Av:

100_1724.jpg

That's cool. Most R160A (L) trains went to Canarsie. Most R143s stopped at Myrtle Av.

100_1725.jpg

But, man, does the (L) go through hippie central.

Anyway, after Lunch and a bathroom break at Bloomingdale's, I hit up:

100_1727.jpg

So, let's do it:

Astoria Blvd:

100_1731.jpg

This R160 had one of the clearest Alstom Propulsions I've heard on an R160. And this T/O was speeding.

39th Av:

100_1742.jpg

Half of the (N) trains had the regular program with the local stops blocked out. The other half had (N) Astoria EXP. ALL (W) trains had (W) Astoria EXP.

100_1744.jpg

100_1746.jpg

Now, onto the IRT: 45th Road

100_1750.jpg

100_1753.jpg

I haven't seen this sign in a while:

100_1754.jpg

And it had a CLEAR RFW! That means total Flushing EXP videos:

100_1755.jpg

Let's go. I even shared with a little girl from QBP to Woodside. Didn't want to be selfish.

After this, a TSS asked me why I videotaped the entire Flushing EXP. I said I'm not in NY often. Then, I went to wait for the Q44 to Sutphin Blvd-Hillside. Bad idea, so I went back to the (7), to 74th St-B'way.

100_1765.jpg

Final video before my camera died: R42 (V) train.

But, I didn't want to quit then. I realized when I saw an R142 (2) train at Atlantic that there aren't too many photos of the G.A.P. So I went to take some quick shots before it died again:

100_1767.jpg

100_1768.jpg

100_1769.jpg

100_1773.jpg

This is one of the more-kept stations on the Brooklyn IRT, and is huge, designed for some good crowds. That was my full day of railfanning. Hope you enjoyed!

Great Pics! Did you get in any problem with TSS?

Thanks! Not at all. He asked me that one question, I answered (with a truthful statement), and that was the end of it.

Very nice post.

Thanks.

great photos

Thanks!

Slammin pics! You sure covered a lot of ground!

Thanks! I didn't know it, but that was my intention.

Excellent stuff!

Thanks!

Nice pics!

Thanks!

Nice photos!

Thanks!

Considering that you live in NYC I don't see how it was.

Well, I'm at boarding school pretty much 8-9 months of our 12-month year, so technically, I'm not really in NY that much. Add to that, I went to the Bahamas twice in a 6-month period and Pittsburgh for 6 weeks of the summer. And I'm leaving next week for school.

Thanks!

Well, I'm at boarding school pretty much 8-9 months of our 12-month year, so technically, I'm not really in NY that much. Add to that, I went to the Bahamas twice in a 6-month period and Pittsburgh for 6 weeks of the summer. And I'm leaving next week for school.

Boarding school? What did you do? Steal a roll sign? B)

Great stuff, as always. Thanks for sharing your expedition.

Thank you, and no problem!

Boarding school? What did you do? Steal a roll sign? B)

Trust me, it's no boot camp. It's a New England Prep school. Took a hell of a lot of work to get into.

Wonderful pics and vids!

Thanks!

Excellent pics! It looks like it was a nice day to railfan.

Thanks!

Nice pics and videos you have there!

Thanks!

Great pics. I always liked that extra wide platform at GAP (built that way no doubt b/c both the IRT express and BMT tracks are underneath).

Thanks. I like the platform too, although I know of some other island platform stations that could use it (coughuticacough).

As do I, heh speaking of 'GAP', I would hope the clothing store company GAP decides to sponsor this station B)

Very nice pics R62A 1991.

It would be cool. They'd have a lot of room to work with and the artwork in the staircase is very nice too.

Thanks!

Archived