No foreseeable timetable for reopening 181 St. MTA station after falling debris

Harry

A Washington Heights subway station that was shuttered after a chunk of the ceiling collapsed isn't reopening anytime soon, transit officials said on Tuesday.

Emergency repair work at the 181st St. station started Aug. 16 after a 25-foot swath of bricks caved onto the tracks and platform.

No. (1) trains began running through - but not stopping at - the station Monday. Straphangers in the neighborhood have to take free shuttle buses to grab trains at the 168th St. or 191st St. stations.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/08/26/2009-08-26_no_timetable_for_reopening_181_st_station.html#ixzz0SdoCOPTd

post-1-133288580749_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580749_thumb.jpg

Don't rush it, get it right, if they have to re-brick the ceiling, do it, just make it right.

- A

Agreed. I can imagine that the MTA will get a reality check as of this incident and make sure that no station falls into disrepair.

Agreed. I can imagine that the MTA will get a reality check as of this incident and make sure that no station falls into disrepair.

Especially the older stations outside of Midtown Manhattan and in the outerboros which have not been renovated in many years or in a few cases since the station opened.

I wonder if city hall station ever had such issues. It has much more delicate tile work, but the arches are smaller and have more of a curve in them, which helps lock them in from falling.

I just hope they restore the entire ceiling. I have a funny feeling that they were thinking about simply patching it over with grout, but it would only mean coming back to fix it at some point, so better to do a proper clean + repair while the station is closed.

Does the train ever stop at the station, or have the signals been sequenced to treat it as plain tunnel?

- A

Archived