Hearing set for cross-Sound tunnel

Trainspotter

Hearing set for cross-Sound tunnel

State Sen. Carl Marcellino (R-Syosset) said Tuesday he would host a public hearing during the third week in January on a proposal to put traffic tunnels under the Long Island Sound.

Marcellino said he has asked for testimony from Garden City developer Vincent Polimeni, who floated the idea of a privately funded tunnel system running from Syosset to Rye in Westchester County.

Civic and business leaders, state and local officials, traffic experts, environmentalists and others would be expected to testify during the fact-finding forum.

Full story: Newsday icon_offsite.png - November 27, 2007

It suppose to be privately funded. I say let it be built. No taxpayer money involved, but of course the "traffic in my back yard, which makes it impossible already for me to drive one of my 4 cars, and create more traffic" folks are going to complain.

It suppose to be privately funded. I say let it be built. No taxpayer money involved, but of course the "traffic in my back yard, which makes it impossible already for me to drive one of my 4 cars, and create more traffic" folks are going to complain.

That, in of itself, most likely will be enough to cause the project never to materialize.

Archived