R40M4460/R42 4665(scrap train)

R32 3838

Um guys...RPC is called "RPC" and not "the Transit Museum" because RPC is (wait for it) NOT the Museum.

I gave you the museum cars and everything Art Vandelay is posting is correct as well...

I have a good posting record here when have I EVER given wrong information? it would be nice to post some facts for a change and not have someone challenging them on the basis of wrong information or not knowing what they're talking about...

just saying..

Interesting... Those there are, IIRC 6 cars that are at CCY then? So in terms of preserved equipment, This is what we have so far and what is proposed to be saved:

R32: 3350-51, 3352-33, 2 Phase-I pairs.

R38: 4028-29, 4140-41, 4142-43, 1 pair.

R40: 4280-81

R40M: 4450-51

R42: 4572-73

School Cars / Work Service

R38: 3950-51, 4044-45

R40: 4162-63, 4392-93, 4442-43

MF'86

<4>

The R32s and R38s seem to be the most reliable of the rest. R38s are kept b/c all pairs except 4028-29 have GE Propulsion with GE motors, which enables them to still have reliable mileages. R32s on the other hand is probably only b/c they are entirely stainless steel. And no R32 school cars perhaps b/c the R40s own at A/C and the R38s can tolerate the extreme.

RPC is not NYTM. 3350-1 are RPC cars, NOT NYTM.

4028-9 are the only R38s saved for NYTM

4140-4141 and the other R38s at concourse are set aside for preservation. I do not believe any permanant home has been found for them, at least not as of yet. Of the 10 R26-28s which were set aside at Concourse for preservation in 2002, only 2 survive, those being the IRM cars. I hope all the Concourse R38s are saved, but am not overly optimistic.

I already know that, That's why I put (non-TM), But they can run for future Fan trips.

8 R32's? That's a pretty large number. But that is great to hear as they have 8 R33ML's?

But I'll say this again, they'll need more space to store these cars and they'll need a museum annex or something unless they'll just keep rotating the cars for display.

Those 8 R33's only 1 pair will stay, Those are really not Museum cars, They are add-ons and the MTA only saved 8 and repainted them, But I did hear that 6 out of the 8 will be getting reefed.

And back to the 4460/4665 topic, Somebody needs to do something about saving those cars because, Now I know that they are at 207th st for reefing, They only have less than 2 weeks then they will meet their fate.

The R32s and R38s seem to be the most reliable of the rest. R38s are kept b/c all pairs except 4028-29 have GE Propulsion with GE motors, which enables them to still have reliable mileages. R32s on the other hand is probably only b/c they are entirely stainless steel. And no R32 school cars perhaps b/c the R40s own at A/C and the R38s can tolerate the extreme.

There is a pair of R32's that are school cars (office car) at pitkin, 3742/43 and they are phase I's.

Those 8 R33's only 1 pair will stay, Those are really not Museum cars, They are add-ons and the MTA only saved 8 and repainted them, But I did hear that 6 out of the 8 will be getting reefed.

And back to the 4460/4665 topic, Somebody needs to do something about saving those cars because, Now I know that they are at 207th st for reefing, They only have less than 2 weeks then they will meet their fate.

6 of them will be reefed? Damn, that's a shame. And what a waste of paint. They should keep at least 4 so that they can keep: a 'silver fox'?, red fox, green and red bird paint schemes around.

I'm also still hoping they'd paint the front of two cars with both the Yankees and Mets logos just like the 2000 WS train.

I don't think anything can be done,if 4460/4665 are going to be reefed there

is nothing that can be done.sure they survied a wreck,but should that be reason enough to save them?theres also the fact that it would save two

birds with one stone.but i'd rather have one set of each saved,and i'v also

heard that they charge up slowly.if they become school cars,thats good.

if they get reefed,at least the (MTA) saved a set of each.

Not saving that pair? That's wrong. That pair is the only set that is made up of 2 different cars. Its a living example of the cars that survived the Willy B crash. Way more important than some car in a movie. And why so many R32's being preserved? Is it really necessary?

...also on a side note I hope they save R42 4684 & 4727

The 8 R33ML cars in the TOMC were never intended to be museum cars. They were always, and still are, work motors. As these cars were restored, the R33ML museum pair was turned into rider cars, and so one of the TOMC pairs will be designated as the museum pair. As far as I know, there is no current plan to reef this train.

Yep true, I heard the same, But they will save 1 pair I would say 9016/17, They are in the best shape, another pair that's in good shape is 9068/69. But the rest needs to go the silver and blues ones (9010/11,9206/07) look like crap, I did hear that they were going to reef those cars but I don't know when.

I wouldn't expect those R33MLs to be going anywhere for a while. They, along with others have been set aside and used as work motors for some time(prior to their museum train use). Since these work motors were being used in the museum trains, they decided to paint them in historical colors so that they too would bring some historical value to the trains. The R33ML motor fleet consists of more cars than the 8 repaints. 8812-8813, 8834-8835, 8888-8889, 8996-8997, 9000-9001 being the other R33ML Motors.

As seen from the photos on nycsubway.org, the R40M museum train pair is a definite. An R40A pair and R38 pair had already been chosen, which leaves a Phase I R32 pair and R42 pair to be decided upon. Who knows, the MTA might pull something crazy and save only R42 by using the WillyB pair.

If you're saying specific cars have been determined, then what are the car numbers?

(Forgive me, I have to get used to this new thing for me)

If you're saying specific cars have been determined, then what are the car numbers?

)Forgive me, I have to get used to this new thing for me)

Answer:

R32: 3350-51, 3352-33

R38: 4028-29, 4140-41 + 4142-43 (Maybe)

R40: 4280-81

R40M: 4450-51 (not sure)

R42: 4572-73 (maybe)

School Cars / Work Service

R38: 3950-51, 4044-45

R40: 4162-63, 4392-93, 4442-43

MF'86

<4>

Sorry, but you have entirely to many "not sures" and "maybes" in there!

Also as far as I know the entire 4140 series of R38's, sans 4148/49, are still around.

the point is to sit back, relax and wait a year, we should definitely know by then which cars are being preserved.

as the saying goes, a little patience goes a long way.;)

• 3 years later...

Digging up an old thread, I know, but I had to share this with you.

I bought an r42 line sign from the MTA. I was worried it might be damaged, but it's in great condition. Even better, guess which r42 this came from?

Lxw8a0Hl.jpg

tRn5zCqh.jpg

BkhTlJjh.jpg

FCmGdbPh.jpg

I'm going to clean it up a little and get it working. :rock:

Archived