R142 and R142a's

bentton316

i had a thought, and i would appreciate all thoughts and comments (only positive though): with all the new R142's and R142a's in the system now, shouldn't they be divided? like have the R142's on the (1)(2)(3), and have the R142a's on the (4)(5)(6)? i just think that the 142a's are a better look for the lexington avenue line, but that's my opinion!

<6>

The R142s are incredibly loud on the outside, but quiet in the inside. You can always hear the R142A acceleration no matter what. It sounds cool at first, but gets annoying after a while. In all honesty, I dislike both trains but if I were to select one, it would be the R142 b/c you can't hear the acceleration most of the time. The R62As are still the best for me in the A Division for all the good reasons!

personally I think the system they have now is fine. The R62s work well on the (1) and (3) and (S), and the (7) for now. There seems to be a pattern in place, the lines that had redbirds got the new stuff, and before that the lines with really old stuff R17,R21, R22 got the R62s.

personally I think the system they have now is fine. The R62s work well on the (1) and (3) and (S), and the (7) for now. There seems to be a pattern in place, the lines that had redbirds got the new stuff, and before that the lines with really old stuff R17,R21, R22 got the R62s.

The (7) had the redbirds last and didn't get any new stuff.

The (7) had the redbirds last and didn't get any new stuff.

yea but I think that might have been becasue the (NYCT) wanted to use the ATO system with it and the technology wasnt there yet, so they went through the hassle of moving the R62s onto the Flushing line. Other politics might have been at work to get the NTTs on the Lexington exclusively when way back when (4) was R62s and the (6) had half and half.

it mustve been real power because it seems like its a pain in the ass to move IRT trains to the Flushing line from the other lines

It is. That crossover at Queensboro Plaza is the only way IRT trains can connect with the rest of the system.

The R142s are incredibly loud on the outside, but quiet in the inside. You can always hear the R142A acceleration no matter what. It sounds cool at first, but gets annoying after a while. In all honesty, I dislike both trains but if I were to select one, it would be the R142 b/c you can't hear the acceleration most of the time. The R62As are still the best for me in the A Division for all the good reasons!

Blame the heating, ventilating, and air conditioning. [HVAC]

Not true. It's also possible to move A Div trains onto B Div track and vice versa through both 207th Yd and Concourse

And in addition to that, there is also an IRT/BMT connection at Junis St (3) and Livonia Av (L) which has no third rail. This is also near a former connection between the Canarsie Line and the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch.

And in addition to that, there is also an IRT/BMT connection at Junis St (3) and Livonia Av (L) which has no third rail. This is also near a former connection between the Canarsie Line and the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch.

If I recall that connection has been severed.

I honestly don't see him as the reason for why the east side is almost all NTT only. The R62's were getting worn out on the 4 and the 3 was part time only. So it makes a lot of sense to move the 4's R62's to the 3 and make the 3 entirely R62.

This has been debated before. He was one of the main reasons (because he used to brag that he was an "everyday guy" because he took the train to work - the (4) train...with his army of guards...he wanted the east side to be 100% new tech so it did.

I honestly don't see him as the reason for why the east side is almost all NTT only. The R62's were getting worn out on the 4 and the 3 was part time only. So it makes a lot of sense to move the 4's R62's to the 3 and make the 3 entirely R62.

Where did you hear that the R62s were getting worn out on the (4)?

I agree, I think the Sieman's propulsion is louder and you can always hear it. Give me the 3-note Alstoms any day. But most on the forum seem to prefer the Sieman's for some reason. Also, some of the 142As have bumpy take offs from stations and bumpiesh rides. Noise levels seem to be rising on the 142As.

I agree, I think the Sieman's propulsion is louder and you can always hear it. Give me the 3-note Alstoms any day. But most on the forum seem to prefer the Sieman's for some reason. Also, some of the 142As have bumpy take offs from stations and bumpiesh rides. Noise levels seem to be rising on the 142As.

I think people likes the sound b/c it's cool. It's only cool for me on the first time, but gets annoying afterwards. You get barely hear the violin acceleration most of the time.

just to correct some facts the 142a is kawasaki. 142 is bombardiar. also the reason the 4 was given 62's back was because a while ago there was a car shortage on the 2 and 5 line because the bearings that connect the car to the truck were breaking everyday. as for the 7 line its being wired up for cbtc as we speak. corona yard is almost done then the main line. then they will get there own tech trains.

as for the 7 line its being wired up for cbtc as we speak. corona yard is almost done then the main line. then they will get there own tech trains.
Isnt the (2) and (3) proposed to get the same new tech cars as the (7) (according to the 2010-14 Draft Plan)?

just to correct some facts the 142a is kawasaki. 142 is bombardiar. also the reason the 4 was given 62's back was because a while ago there was a car shortage on the 2 and 5 line because the bearings that connect the car to the truck were breaking everyday. as for the 7 line its being wired up for cbtc as we speak. corona yard is almost done then the main line. then they will get there own tech trains.

Nitpick: 4 got R62A's [bBD] [from the 1 and 7 lines]. And I remember that a few years ago I saw R142/A's from the 4 on the 2 line. It was pretty neat to see R62A's on the 4.

When the 7 is ready for the R142A's and when those R188's comes in: I think it will be the 6 line that will be sending its trains to the 7 and getting back the R62A's. Plus with those LED signs, there won't be any confusions about the 6 being local or express.

It can't be:

2/5 - both needs R142's when they terminate at Flatbush as they can swap trains often.

4 - fleet is too small and is a mix of both R142/A's.

Just my speculation.

Archived