What car OTT fleet do you love/Miss the most?

mark1447

BESIDES the NTTs! What old car would you foam over(Or better, miss or like). Only 1 or 2.

Not that you are a foamer[Of course im not, and some are not here], biut want to know whats your favorite OTT[R68 and before]

This does NOT include R160[As loads of people do foam(Or talk to much about it) over it for no reason, which gets annoying sometimes, no offense to those who do...], as well as any NTT starting with NTTT R130[R110A]+

I know most people will use the R32 thru R68/A since people may not know much about older cars, such as Redbird[R26-R36], R1-R30, IRT Low Voltage Cars, BMT Triplex and so, or just don't care about the good old days with older cars except current fleet! But those who pick anything that is retired before 2003(Or before the R40s) that shows some good sign instead of cars that we ride today~!~!~!~

Most people have never lived or rode cars before R36, so if u havent its kool, but maybe you would like to ride one, one day since you ether saw em in books or saw them in a museum(Ex NYCTM) or so..

PS This topic is NOT intended to poke anyone or anything for what they like. Lets not bring this topic into lock mode.

PS2: Give a good reason why you like it, not just pick a car and go.. Then there is no point..

For me: It would be the IRT Redbirds, I grow up on them till 2003, love the color scheme, Red! Its the TRUE SMEE over the R32s and later. R32s would most likely be the silver style Redbird lol. I always enjoyed the way the doors opened and closed, such a unique sound, the SMEE breaking[WABCO], such a smell in the car. And the RFW was the best! I always found it special on the (7) line, which I was into of course. (2) as well. Loved the rollsigns, use to play with it when I was little, tho not as much. I will miss them of course! Now I can only ride them thru TOMC B)B)!

Your turn. and lets NOT go off, please! Remember NOTHING NTT/T!

;)

I would have to say the R40S because when I first saw them when I was young, I thought they looked like the coolest train. They were also the first train I rode over the Manhattan Bridge back when the <Q> was running. I remember that back when I was still short enough to stand in the window, they had the best view.

The one and only Slants! I'll have to agree with matted33 right there. But I like the R17s because of the porthole railfan window, and I remember a R26 through 36 Redbird had a R21/22 style storm door window. But I'll never forget the Slants' and becoming a part of history by getting on the last train.

I would have to say the R40S because when I first saw them when I was young, I thought they looked like the coolest train. They were also the first train I rode over the Manhattan Bridge back when the <Q> was running. I remember that back when I was still short enough to stand in the window, they had the best view.

meh, R40S, yeah i agree. It looks do much better on the (;). And the best view was on the Brighton Beach Line!

Mark, I have two and I'll tell you why.

IND.: The R1-R9. Classy car with RFW. Nice cream colored seats with blue stripes. I loved these cars on the 70(CC) which ran from Bedford Park Boulevard to W.T.C. rush hours. By 1972, a lot of R1-R9s were on the B.M.T. Eastern Division but they could still be found on the 70(CC).

I.R.T.: The R15. Classy I.R.T. car with round Railfan Window and round door windows. They had an arched roof. Great to get one of the R15s on the 70(2) on a weekend trip to The Bronx Zoo to visit the Zebras and the other animals.

On both of these cars, the windows lowered from the top half way down.

Thank you for asking.

Mark, I have two and I'll tell you why.

IND.: The R1-R9. Classy car with RFW. Nice cream colored seats with blue stripes. I loved these cars on the 70(CC) which ran from Bedford Park Boulevard to W.T.C. rush hours. By 1972, a lot of R1-R9s were on the B.M.T. Eastern Division but they could still be found on the 70(CC).

I.R.T.: The R15. Classy I.R.T. car with round Railfan Window and round door windows. They had an arched roof. Great to get one of the R15s on the 70(2) on a weekend trip to The Bronx Zoo to visit the Zebras and the other animals.

On both of these cars, the windows lowered from the top half way down.

Thank you for asking.

ok (2) it is ;) ,i fixed my first post anyways

As for me second would be R15 too looks more of a mix of the R12 and R17

btw were u also on the (2)(5) TOMC/LoV ride?

For the A div the Redbirds and R62/As. I like the redbirds more than I do the 62/As though. I liked the 26-33ML (I never rode the WF cars on the (7) in revenue service) which I rode on the (2)(4)(5) and (6) lines. I liked them because they were red and fun to ride, also when they bucked the trucks made this awsome banging noise which I thought was cool :cool: Also the RFW and the rollsigns on those cars. As for why I like the R62/As, well I started liking those from riding the 62s on the <4>. When I was younger I used to always ride the (2) to Frankin and get off to transfer to the (4) express which was an R62 most of time. It was cool to go from this old red train to an newer sliver train. It sucks that these cars run on the (3) now I wished they still ran on the (4). The R62s is an unique car class IMO they have an old school SMEE feel to them, when I mean old school I mean like R12, R15 etc, R62As not so much. Don't get me wrong I like the 62A but its not as interesting as the R62 IMO.

For the B div.. well I like all the SMEE car classes (Both 60FT and 75FT) equally the same. But If I had to choose I'd say R38s and R68/As.

For me, its the IRT Redbirds. I remember when I was growing up, I would ride the (2)(3)(4)(5) trains along Eastern Parkway and through Manhattan when I travel from home (in Queens) to my grandmother's (in Brooklyn). I liked how its looked and I remembered the Redbirds for its grabbars and of course its red color. They do remind me of the R32s but back then, those R32s were still noisy. My experiences on the Redbirds were also short lived because at the time, the last model of the Redbirds were being retired and quickly became replaced by the R62s.

R40 Slants. I should have made it a point to ride them when I was in NYC in March, but I didn't therefore I did not get to ride one of them. I really liked the look of them, just different compared to the rest of the fleet.

u were in NYC? I didnt know:confused:

Ok, for A division I have the R17,R21, & R36 because I rode them during the graffitti days! It was a treat! I love the ssshhhh sound when they departed a station also the sounds of the doors opening and closing as well as their horn. The speed they would generate while flying up and down the line! Back then the trains were faster! Don't care whether you guys believe or not. I KNOW CAUSE I RODE THEM. The trains were awesome especially when passing 59th st Columbus Circle. In their later years when they were dwindled down to R36 on the (7) the express runs are memorable b/c of the railfan window. A shame they are gone!

Now for B division, I have always loved both the R32 and R40S but Pre-GOH. The lights and sounds were just like the A division and the cars were longer. I love them. Also the R27 was a favorite because they were green and later painted red. I loved the R40S because that was the first subway I ever saw and the route was (AA) and I always will remember that. Now the trains are new, clean, fast, and efficient thats all great but the nostalgia always hits me when I see an R32. The SMEEs are slowly leaving us and I do gt a bit sad about it but I know that things can only improve and I welcome it. Just the Little boy who loves trains in me always remembers the past and will never forget the old days especially the graffitti days. Just wish some of you young ones could have experienced them then you might understand where I come from. On the other hand hope you never have to go through that period again cause other than the art it was HORRIBLE for everything else.

I miss the IRT Redbirds the most. When I was a kid I did not have to use the IRT much, but when I saw the R36s on the (7) I really loved them. I only wish I remembered more about them. I never used the (4)(5) back when I was a kid so I never saw them. I rode the (2) to Atlantic back in 2000 when I was 5 and I remember seeing a redbird (5) at Atlantic Ave. Another time was when I was 5 or 6 and I went to the Bronx Zoo on a redbird (2) (I think), when I saw a redbird (5) at Pelham Parkway. I used the (6) only like two times before 7th grade and both of those times were on R142As. I wish I had more chances to railfan these cars (I hardly looked out the RFW actually, I just sat down) and ride on them before they went.

Agreed:

Example:

Person 1: 'Ouch, a damn rat bit me on the R-42. I'll forever hat that car'. Person 2: 'Actually you really ment the line...'

Person 1: 'I still hate the R-42'.

Person 2: 'Ugh, now you are foaming!!!'

Lmao X-D!

Likes: R32's, R38's, and R40's. The R32's have shown to be THE best R type ever made. Its body and construction can hold up for a very long time. The R38's simply because of their design and reliability. The R40's because they caused a drastic change in how a subway car looks. The Slant version is one of the most unique car designs in history.

Dislikes: The entire Redbird fleet. Overrated at its finest. Need I say more?

Agree 80%! The R32s are only durable and that's all they are to me. R38s are hands down the most reliable of the 60 ft B division SMEEs. R40s have the best A/C in the entire subway system. When you compare an R40 to any NTT in terms of A/C, the NTT will fail below 15%.

When I was first born,(1996), my family lived by the Supthin Blvd Archer Av station on the (E), (J) and (Z). I loved the R32's and R42's because they were the first trains I rode on. Then I moved near the Atlantic Av station on the (L). The R40's were the best becasue on hot summer days on trips to the Bronx, the A/Cwould always cool me down. Then I moved to E 100 Street and always rode the redbirds and the R62A's on the (6). Then I moved to W 155 Street. I always rode the R32'S, R38'S, R44'S and R68'S on the CPW lines-(A), (:(, (C), and (D)...

Archived