Shoreline East Question?

NewJerseyT

I have a question, I live on the coast in Connecticut,and the train that leaves from New Have(Shoreline East) that stops at Madison,Clinton, etc. Why Is it owned by Connecticut department of transportation,but it is run by Metro North, However there is somethingelse, the conducters and the engineer are supplied by the MTA in NY. Why is it like this and why does it have to be so confusing???!!!

I have a question, I live on the coast in Connecticut,and the train that leaves from New Have(Shoreline East) that stops at Madison,Clinton, etc. Why Is it owned by Connecticut department of transportation,but it is run by Metro North, However there is somethingelse, the conducters and the engineer are supplied by the MTA in NY. Why is it like this and why does it have to be so confusing???!!!

Shoreline East is ConnDOT owned and paid for but is operated by Amtrak, not Metro-North. But they usually share equipment between the SLE and Danbury/Waterbury services.

It is not operated by Amtrak because it has the Metro North thingy

(not sure what to call it) all over the sides of the car along with the connecticut state seal.

Ok but why is Metro North on the side of the cars(espicelly the older ones) and then why is Metro North ran by the MTA in NYC?

If Shoreline east isn't run by metro north than why is there a combined ticket between them? http://www.shorelineeast.com/unirail.htm

It is not operated by Amtrak because it has the Metro North thingy

(not sure what to call it) all over the sides of the car along with the connecticut state seal.

Ok but why is Metro North on the side of the cars(espicelly the older ones) and then why is Metro North ran by the MTA in NYC?

If Shoreline east isn't run by metro north than why is there a combined ticket between them? http://www.shorelineeast.com/unirail.htm

Yes, it is operated by Amtrak. I'm not sure what you mean by "Metro-North thingy", but if you're referring to the Metro-North logo, then no, that logo is not on any of the Shore Line East equipment. Only the State of Connecticut seal is on Shore Line East cars and the locomotive and some of the newer Mafersa (ex-VRE) coaches are painted in the New Haven McGinniss livery. However, as Lord Vader said, some Metro-North equipment (Shoreliner cars to be exact) end up operating on SLE services.

As for the combined ticket, it's efficient to have one ticket for two trains going in the same direction rather than two, since most riders who ride Shore Line East transfer to a New Haven Line train to head into Manhattan. Same reason why NJ Transit monthly passes were honored on Amtrak Clockers (before it's discontinuation).

Archived